Ear mite struggle

This may help. Kneel on floor and secure kitt between your thighs. You will be facing the back of her head and will have both hands free to open up the ear. As you will be leaning over her your elbows are available for extra grip. Immediately follow with yummy treats!!

This may help. Kneel on floor and secure kitt between your thighs. You will be facing the back of her head and will have both hands free to open up the ear. As you will be leaning over her your elbows are available for extra grip. Immediately follow with yummy treats!!

That technique is really good for grown up beasties, but squirmy kittens can usually escape from that one really easily!

I think its a case of trying anything that works, its a universal problem applying eye drops or ear drops to kitties... but once the drops are in the soreness goes down pretty quickly but its important to keep on until the course is finished because they get in the folded bits of the ears and can kick into life again if not banquished!!

Once its all over its a good idea to keep the ears clean and checked, I do this with Josh who had ear mites (dog) once they were clear I use a cleaner I got from the vet and do them every couple of weeks. Be careful buying ear cleaners tho because some of the over the counter ones are quite harmful..

One of my cats can be scruffed and medicated with few problems but the other one, well its claws all the way so its safer to towel her.

Good luck

Thank all

The towel idea is brilliant. Lula is letting me do the ear drops today as it seems her ears aren't as sore

As the treatment progresses, she will get what look like oily patches in the fur around her ears. This is normal, there's nothing that can be done to prevent it (even counting the drops) and it will fade as the fur grows out and replaces.

Please make sure that you complete the course and take her back to the vets at the end of the course to check that there are no live mites still visible down her ears. I've had some beasties that have needed 5 or 6 weeks of treatment rather than the normal 3, just to make sure that there's no recurrence.

As the treatment progresses, she will get what look like oily patches in the fur around her ears. This is normal, there's nothing that can be done to prevent it (even counting the drops) and it will fade as the fur grows out and replaces.

Please make sure that you complete the course and take her back to the vets at the end of the course to check that there are no live mites still visible down her ears. I've had some beasties that have needed 5 or 6 weeks of treatment rather than the normal 3, just to make sure that there's no recurrence.

oh ............ you know your pets very well. She does has oily patches in the fur under the ears. I will pass by the vet's once the drops finished. I do not think there is three week worth of treatment in this medicine bottle thou. I will take her back after this bottle finishes, see if she needs another

I've had rather a lot of cats of my own, I volunteered at the Cats Shelter for about 10 years and I'm South Yorkshire Animal Rescue's main kitten fosterer- I've administered more Canaural drops than most people have had hot dinners ;)

Don't take the risk with ear mites- it's ALWAYS worth checking that they're clear before deciding that the treatment's finished. One more week of treatment versus starting all over again next month.