Cycle shop on langsett road years ago

does anyone remember the cycle shop on langsett road near the royal infirmary. think it was john allens.

I think there was one called Blanchards

I recall responding to a thread last week and from the connection of the poster, think it was called Langsett Cycles.

I recall responding to a thread last week and from the connection of the poster, think it was called Langsett Cycles.

Yes, I'm pretty certain it was Langsett Cycles.

i seem to remember it was called john allens. they eventually moved to firth park

isn't it still there?

i once saw a smash and grab there from my window on kelvin flats, at about 3 a.m.

rubbish attempt though: they did the smash, then found the bikes were chained to the floor!

so no grab.

i seem to remember it was called john allens. they eventually moved to firth park

Local trade directories from the late 1930s to 1960 include the following entry:

John Allen: cycle dealer, 428 Firth Park Road, and electrical engineer, 105 Infirmary Road.

The property around 105 Infirmary Road was demolished in the early 1960s to make way for the Kelvin Flats, and so at that time the business was presumably consolidated at Firth Park.

It was Langsett Cycles when I was a lad, last

used them around 45 years ago

In my day Langsett Cycles were the top dogs of the Sheffield Cycling World.

I believe that the ' Don Wheelers ' and ? Mason were buddies to the Shop.

I once had a Tandem from ' Beldam ' who made one for us. He had his small workshop on Harvest Lane. Can anyone recall it?

I once had a Tandem from ' Beldam ' who made one offers. He had his small workshop on Harvest Lane. Can anyone recall it?

My goodness, you’re going back a long way with that one, Albert! My father had a Beldam bike as a teenager in the 1930s. When he was an apprentice fitter in London, and courting my mum, he used to ride it overnight (Fri/Sat) to Sheffield, spend a day and night at home and then ride back to London on the Sunday (they were really in love….). Looking at the 1925 directory there is a “Frederick Beldam, cycle dealer” at 135 Harvest Lane. The 1901 census shows the then 17 year-old Frederick as an “apprentice toolmaker” living in Harvest Lane with his parents William (a self-employed clog maker) and Dora. I wonder what became of Frederick’s business.

Hi folks, I remember Beldams, next door to Trumans just under the railway bridge. A tiny shop jam packed with cycle accessories, used it quite a bit as a kid, inner tubes and suchlike. My first 'bike was a Beldam, it had a back pedal breaking system, rather old fashioned even then. My dad did it up for me, it'd been stood under a load of junk since about 1920 odd.

I also knew Arthur Caudren, although I didn't know he had a shop on Langsett Road. He used to manage a shop for Henry Holmes down Attercliffe, just around the corner from Broughton Lane.

Would I be correct in thinking there was another shop just to the left hand side of the 'Roscoe'. I seem to remember looking in the window at pictures of Rotrax 'bikes.