Cherrytree orphanage

Hello Patricia,

I am a comparatively new member to the Sheffield-forum & as yet have not posted enough messages on the forum to send you a private message - hence the following posted here - that might be of interest to others in this thread.

I am endeavouring to find information about my early years & spotted your message in this thread "I have a copy of the history of Cherrytree and also copies of AGM reports from 1949 - 1960. I would be happy to send you copies if you wish." & wonder if you would kindly share copies of the information with me to help me with my research?

I know I was in a Cherrytree home in the early '50's but cannot remember the exact dates or how long I was there but do remember it was not a happy time for me.

I remember that I was told I was taken to the home because the folks I lived with were going to South Africa to gold mine. I do not know if these folks were actual relatives or had just kindly "taken me in".

I remember that when I left the home I was reunited with my mother who had obtained a housekeeping job in Totley & I went to Totley Junior School - I have group photo of Miss Whites class that I have identified myself in that I would be pleased to share with others, if of interest.

Thanking you in anticipation of your reply.

Hi.

This is the first time I have posted on here. I have come across this site having googled 'Cherrytree' as a place where my Great Auntie had a baby boy in the early 50's.

Sadly she is no longer with us, but as we are now doing our family tree, it transpires that she had a baby which was born in Sheffield at a place referred to only as 'cherrytree'. My Second cousin is now in her 70s, but she recalls my Auntie going to 'cherrytree' in the Nether Edge area, but we cannot find this baby as being registered on any birth lists.

We are eager to find out what happened to the baby boy. We are unsure whether Cherrytree was simply a place for having a baby discreetly, or whether it was an orphanage. As a family we are from Manchester, so she travelled from Manchester to Sheffield to have the baby.

If you have any information on how I would go about tracing this baby Id be really interested in hearing from you.

Cherry tree was the name of a children's home in totley in the 70's . Not sure how long it had been there at the time I was at school but some of the kids I was at school with there . There is a thread on the history ex pats section but I can't remember when it was I saw it . Hope this helps .

I put cherry tree into the search box of history and ex pats forum and quite a few threads came up . I cannot do links but I hope you find what you need. There was one in nether edge too

Edited by Littlepink
Addition

My cousin recalls visiting the home in Nether Edge and despite it being around 60 years ago, she speaks of what happened vividly. Its is definately Cherrytree, and definately in Nether Edge area. Im eager to find out whether Cherrytree would have been a maternity hospital, or somewhere you had a baby so it could be adopted.

She said the home where she went to see the baby had lots of prams outside. My Great Auntie who had the baby would have been in her 40s but was unmarried and couldnt keep the baby.

Going back through birth records, we have been unable to locate a baby born with her surname around 1950/51. Would you give your real name? What would be on the baby boys birth certificate.

Hi chatty lady, if you are interested in names they have a full list from the very beginning of the orphanage back in 1863 I have been and looked at the books, but as I am researching the orphanage I am also speaking to some very interesting people I have left my e-mail address with jessejames.

Hope to hear from you.

Marlene,

hi marlene ,i have some very sad memories of cherrytree homes ,me and my brother was in there from approx 1956 till about 1962 my brother got adopted and i got left in there ,we were put in there for our safety from our alcoholic father and were treated very cruel in there ,we had gregorys shoved down our throat and i remember clearly choking on the powder,we were always threatened with gregorys if we didn't do thi or that,sad sad memories ,i'd like to see this record to see how long we were actually there,there is a strong memory of a mr marshall ,who was he?

Hi.

This is the first time I have posted on here. I have come across this site having googled 'Cherrytree' as a place where my Great Auntie had a baby boy in the early 50's.

Sadly she is no longer with us, but as we are now doing our family tree, it transpires that she had a baby which was born in Sheffield at a place referred to only as 'cherrytree'. My Second cousin is now in her 70s, but she recalls my Auntie going to 'cherrytree' in the Nether Edge area, but we cannot find this baby as being registered on any birth lists.

We are eager to find out what happened to the baby boy. We are unsure whether Cherrytree was simply a place for having a baby discreetly, or whether it was an orphanage. As a family we are from Manchester, so she travelled from Manchester to Sheffield to have the baby.

If you have any information on how I would go about tracing this baby Id be really interested in hearing from you.

the foster home was on netheredge sheffield ,i think it was even called cherry tree rd ,we were there from 5 yrs old till about 12,dont remember anything about people having babies ,lots of records on this post on this forum might help

hi andrejuan.found your message on this post regarding your brother that you say was adopted from fullwood cottage homes.would you be able to tell me his name.many thanks

Dear Patricia, Great to hear from you. My brother and I went to cherrytree in 1949. Our mother had died. I was only 18 months old and my brother Ian was two and a half. So in 1954 I was only seven!But your name is familiar. We left when we were 12 & 13 respectively.I didn't want to give the impression that it was all roses at Cherrytree, but on the whole I liked Totley Primary School, and life at the home was the only thing we knew! Dad came to visit every visiting day, and he remarried in 1953. They never came to fetch us, but we were quite happy to remain there. Anyway we went 'home' in 1960. After leaving school, Ian joined the army (like most of the lads), & he saw Michael, Dave Stuart and John James, and I came to Nottingham( at 15) to live in at my place of work. I married and have been here ever since! Ian also lives here in Nottingham, not far from us. Tell us your news! Sue and Ian

hi would the michael you mention have the surname tansley many thanks

my name is tony gillott & I was in cherry tree orphanage with my brothers from 1961 - 1964, the matron was Mrs Moore & the deputy matron was Mrs Archibald & her husband had a very strong scottish accent & a lovely guy, I have nothing but great memories from this period of my life, anyone else there at that time?

I'd love to hear from you!

hello tony my name is john james i was at cherrytree 1951/63 i remember you and your brother i think his name was peter, corect me if im wrong but did he get into abbeydale grammer school [a first for cherrytree lol] if you remember me and would like to get in touch my email is [email protected] i am also on facebook as johnjesse hope to hear from you soon