Cherrytree orphanage

Is there anyone out there who lived at cherrytree orphanage between 1947 and 1960?

Susan Chester was a house mother there but I'm not sure of the dates- certainly pre 1967. Any further information gleaned about other people, gratefully received.

Hi sasha 555 I was in cherrytree orphanage from 1948 - 1954. The orphanage was what is now the Cheshire Home just down the lane from the present Cherrytree childrens home. We did not have "house mothers" but a matron called Miss Wilson and various other staff. The old orphanage where I was closed in/ around 1960 when the new one was built which is still there near the Cheshire Home. I remember all the other children and staff from the old home but know nothing of the new one.

yes,i was in the prison known to the outside world as cherrytree from 1934 to 1943 with sis Lt styles incharge what memories it brings back ,.and everybody fell for her claptrap.ii did return in 2004 with my family and just managed to get through it all emotionally

I dont know Cherrytree but it seems to me and what I've read that all orphanage's fm that era were unbelievable cruel and this includes Dr Barnardo's and of course Fullwood, my wife who's father was a police sgt says it use to break his heart to have to take the runaways back, fm what I gather things started to change late 40s early 50s on S.F they start talking about things I've never heard of like dance and trips to the beach,change is slow at times:mad::mad:

I dont know Cherrytree but it seems to me and what I've read that all orphanage's fm that era were unbelievable cruel and this includes Dr Barnardo's and of course Fullwood, my wife who's father was a police sgt says it use to break his heart to have to take the runaways back, fm what I gather things started to change late 40s early 50s on S.F they start talking about things I've never heard of like dance and trips to the beach,change is slow at times:mad::mad:

I remember Cherry Tree from the late 60s early 70s when my sister worked there. She would often take me with her to play with the other kids at Christmas and Easter parties etc. I remember it being quite a happy place all things considered.

It's a bit disturbing for me to hear about these places being cruel in the 40s and 50s, I have an adopted brother who was in Fulwood Cottage homes at this time up until my parents took him when he was around 12.

He never talks about those days and I now wonder if this is why.

hi my name is sandra and i used to live at cherrytree tree in 1956 and iloved iit atcerrytree ilived there with my twin sister marie

For me I'd blanked Fullwood out of mind for 55-60 yrs,i also never spoke about that place of horror only a chance mention on S.F brought it rushing back, my first encounter being an old buddy fm 39-46, of course the war years had rules all of there own & quite possible after the war someone must have taken a long hard look at some of the more brutish house mothers & started to remove them,but I'm only guessing

Is there anyone out there who lived at cherrytree orphanage between 1947 and 1960?

hi, i am sandra i lived @ cherrytree orphanage in 1956 with my twin sister called marina reynolds, would luv to get in touch with old friends who lived @ cherrytree,ie... margaret woolen,ian archibald,johnathan james, michael reynolds.maureen wathall,much obliged sandra.xx

i must say there was and are still many people who were unaware or chose not to know, what went on in these such places .it was just like a p.o.w. camp for children,yes,wedid our best at times to escape, but it was how most people ,including family members,wereso taken in by the staff and more so themad matron. even now i could explain many things and would not be believed,i met up with my sister some time ago and at a family gathering out came a few of the goings on and the children were just gobsmacked.yes icould write a book on this horror house but it would not mean much to many people.however,iwould like to meet up again with a few such as Ronnie Benton,and IrisBenton,Hilda Bradley,Rosie Quantril,Elsie Moffett, Effie Hall,Kieth Hobling,Harry Cam,ihope they are all well,

it took me years to overcome such degradation ihad been put through,and one thing that still gets to me is the fact we had to salute the committee members when we saw them out and about failure resulted in PUNISHMENT if it was the chairman god help you of course some got a name like me,and got blamed for things did not even know about School was bad at times because of being an orphanage boy or girl

I forgot to mention 'Gregory' in my previous dispatches,does anyone know what this is ? it is a powder that we were given for punishment and you nearly choke to death. I am pleased in believing that, Patrica Ann, did not suffer in the same manner I did::