Wisewood/Myers merger thread - Part 3

A very well researched post. A simple solution of course would be use some of the £25m the LibDems were going to use to refurbish Wisewood to make the new school big enough.

An absolute cracking idea - how do we move that suggestion forward? The Lib Dems can obvioulsy find £25 million - still want an answer though definitively from the LEA regarding this numbers issue. Thanks to others, predominantly Chavs for getting the figures back up. I've a spare day tomorrow so do intend to get my letter in to the LEA for some clarification on this one.

Theres still questions that do need answers tho, but i would like to ask how the head of wisewood can also be on the proposing group? is this also not a conflict of interest?

I mean as it now seems shes got a leading roll now at myers as well

I cant think of any teachers from wisewood on the proposing group, and as we all was told that all staff and teachers would have to re-apply for there jobs for the new school,(job losses will happen as well ) i does not seem the case with the wisewood head .so back to what i said its a conflict of interest is it not?

HI Masons, - on the thread that was removed I quoted that I had a copy of newsletter issue 3 from the proposing group. As I have said previously, the members of the proposing group, well certainly at March 2008, were listed on page 3 of that newsletter. Outside of issues on headteachers, a member of the Wisewood teaching staff is listed as being a member of the proposing group. I understand though that with the new thread rules that I am probably not able to name the person. However, it is a male member of staff. His name is clearly listed on the group, with the responsibility listed beneath his name as "Wisewood teaching staff". Hope this helps - please try and find a copy of this newsletter dated March 2008 Issue 3 as this will give you the info that you are seeking.

An absolute cracking idea - how do we move that suggestion forward? The Lib Dems can obvioulsy find £25 million - still want an answer though definitively from the LEA regarding this numbers issue. Thanks to others, predominantly Chavs for getting the figures back up. I've a spare day tomorrow so do intend to get my letter in to the LEA for some clarification on this one.

The £25-million was for wisewood why would lib dems want to spend money on the new school to make it bigger when BSF money is there for that?

Lets remember its Labours idea , and a idea that communities are against!!

HI Masons, - on the thread that was removed I quoted that I had a copy of newsletter issue 3 from the proposing group. As I have said previously, the members of the proposing group, well certainly at March 2008, were listed on page 3 of that newsletter. Outside of issues on headteachers, a member of the Wisewood teaching staff is listed as being a member of the proposing group. I understand though that with the new thread rules that I am probably not able to name the person. However, it is a male member of staff. His name is clearly listed on the group, with the responsibility listed beneath his name as "Wisewood teaching staff". Hope this helps - please try and find a copy of this newsletter dated March 2008 Issue 3 as this will give you the info that you are seeking.

Found the list, you mean the teacher who has now got promoted to "Deputy head" whos on the proposing group

so we now have the head of wisewood that gets a promotion and a teacher, both on the "proposing group"

I think it may be a good idea for all the wisewood teachers to get on the proposing group , they may get a promotion:hihi::hihi:

But thanks harry for bringing that to my and others attention!!!

I think that this is such an important posting - I understand that people opposing the merger will want to keep fighting until every possibility has been exhausted, but I think it would be foolish to not also be trying to help shape the merged school to be the best it can be, just in case it does happen.

As for the name - Wood Grove is my suggestion - a name built from both existing schools names and a nod to Wood Lane thrown in!!

To me, as always said, this is the crux of the arguement. We know it's going to happen. I do want answers to the numbers issue though as I do see the point that is being made repeatedly by posters on this thread.

However, after that - let's get invovled and make it work as we parents want it to. The newsletter that I keep quoting says on page 1 "we want you, as potential users, to suggest what you want from such an establilshment". I see no mention of academy school nor of federated school so perhaps I am naive, but I do see an opportunity for those who want to input positively to do so. I'm not hung up about names but I really do like the suggestions that keeps a semblance of referecne to Wisewood in them, in whatever shape or form.

Found the list, you mean the teacher who has now got promoted to "Deputy head" whos on the proposing group

so we now have the head of wisewood that gets a promotion and a teacher, both on the "proposing group"

I think it may be a good idea for all the wisewood teachers to get on the proposing group , they may get a promotion:hihi::hihi:

But thanks harry for bringing that to my and others attention!!!

Cant account for what you say Masons - am purely quoting the newsletter in front of me. From the bits that I know there is no male deputy head, certainly at March 2008 as listed in this newsletter, at Wisewood, but I might well be wrong?

Going on about there news letter (proposing group)

It goes on about how they will visit schools and pupils, Im i missing something What about holding public meetings with parents!!!!! like in the consultation meetings,

im sure parents have got alot of questions to ask? perhaps they could start at wisewood !!

A kind of question and answer time ?????

Cant account for what you say Masons - am purely quoting the newsletter in front of me. From the bits that I know there is no male deputy head, certainly at March 2008 as listed in this newsletter, at Wisewood, but I might well be wrong?

The last wisewood news letter -i.e stating about the head of wisewood promotion, working at myers, and goes on about the teacher i.e promotion

Hope that helps

However, after that - let's get invovled and make it work as we parents want it to. The newsletter that I keep quoting says on page 1 "we want you, as potential users, to suggest what you want from such an establilshment".

I'm a sceptic when it comes to Britain copying American social policy/initiatives. However, there's been recent success with struggling schools in New York which is now being tried out in Chicago. Basically, it's smaller learning communities. If we're going to lose Wisewood, which seems likely, the new school could still take a community approach. Basically, they take a big school and break it down in to smaller sub-schools (as it were), keeping kids in their own smaller schooling communities.

You might have seen the documentary about it on Channel 4, maybe 8 months ago? They've built and are building a few schools this way in England now. Some of them are arranged in in a circular fashion, with hubs built around a big communal area, where all the kids can be together. When they go back to lessons, they go back to their own smaller learning community.

This sort of approach has had a lot of success so far with struggling schools in America. If you want to know any more, I'm no expert, here's a few links from a brief google search, I'm sure there's more out there :

http://education.guardian.co.uk/egweekly/story/0,,2244349,00.html

http://www.newsweek.com/id/137547

http://www.gazette.net/stories/071008/prinnew182956_32356.shtml

I'm a sceptic when it comes to Britain copying American social policy/initiatives. However, there's been recent success with struggling schools in New York which is now being tried out in Chicago. Basically, it's smaller learning communities. If we're going to lose Wisewood, which seems likely, the new school could still take a community approach. Basically, they take a big school and break it down in to smaller sub-schools (as it were), keeping kids in their own smaller schooling communities.

You might have seen the documentary about it on Channel 4, maybe 8 months ago? They've built and are building a few schools this way in England now. Some of them are arranged in in a circular fashion, with hubs built around a big communal area, where all the kids can be together. When they go back to lessons, they go back to their own smaller learning community.

This sort of approach has had a lot of success so far with struggling schools in America. If you want to know any more, I'm no expert, here's a few links from a brief google search, I'm sure there's more out there :

http://education.guardian.co.uk/egweekly/story/0,,2244349,00.html

http://www.newsweek.com/id/137547

http://www.gazette.net/stories/071008/prinnew182956_32356.shtml

Sounds a great idea!! but dont think labour would go for this at all