Getting work quotes for house still on market - how?

Ok, stupid title but I didn't know how to phrase it! I've seen a house I like that's on the market but it needs a *lot* of work. The work includes new boiler (and potentially new radiators), new kitchen, re-plastering, new bathroom (including knocking a wall down as the toilet is separate to the bathroom with sink and bath & I'd want to make them into one room), plus at a glance I'd say it may need re-wiring as the sockets and light switches are those really old ones (although I'm no expert so would need to get this checked).

I need to know the cost of doing all the work before I can calculate if it's a viable option for me to buy it and do it up, so my question is, how would I go about getting quotes to get the work done without showing tradesmen round the house? Or would I have to book a viewing and take the tradesman/men with me? The house is currently unoccupied so I couldn't ask the vendor to let them in.

Thanks,

Aqua

Hi

I think that you've somewhat answered your own question. You need to arrange with the vendor some booking time to show the relevant tradespeople around. Most tradespeople provide free written quotes. However, others may see it as a waste of time to quote seeing as you haven't bought or made an offer on the house. This has happened to me. Spent a good hour quoting and another hour writing it up but the prospective buyer walked away as found out there was just too much work needed. I know he had also had an electrician, joiner, and plasterer in quoting as well.

In view of what does need doing, why not ask a general builder to take a look, and give you an estimate for all the work. Paying for their time. Then use that estimate in negotiating the house price. If you then buy, you can then get the individual trades in for quotes.

Just a guess but that lot is a minimum of £20k+ easily depending on quality of the materials etc.