Foods you ate as a kid and now miss

chocolate pinwheels and custard with skin on , dundee biscuits we had at break times and doughnuts with straberry jam

does anyone else recall that pringles used to be called stackers or was it snackers???

Cold tripe &cow heel alittle salt &pepper yum yum Hot black pudding use to sell with those little new hot potatoes ,I;m putting on weight just thinking about it:):):)

Just to catch up on a few points made by various people in this delicious but fattening thread:

- Thanks to the person who reminded me of Penny Arrows. I had totally forgotten about them. I used to buy them from Plumb's newsagents in Gleadless, or from Jenkinson's at the end of our road )Gleadless Avenue).

- I'm sure you can still get sweetbreads, which as I understand it are the sheep equivalent of tripe. One of the chefs on a recent TV cooking series used them, but of course he did them all posh with six or seven different things on the same plate.

- Thanks for mentioning non-brewed condiment. It was made (but not brewed!) by Littlewoods and we used to have it at home when I was a boy. When we moved away, we couldn't get it in Leicestershire and had to put up with Sarson's which was boring by comparison.

- Fishcakes: we used to get our fish & chips from Furness' in Gleadless. Their fishcakes were not like the modern supermarket ones; you got two layers of potato, with a layer of fish in between, and the whole lot cooked in batter of course. I don't think that I have ever had better fish & chips than Furness', but of course that may be distance lending enchantment to the view. They also sold roe (chunks of cod's eggs in batter)

- and finally: custard with lovely thick skin on - yessss!

Scraps from the chippie with loads of salt and vinegar :D

and spam fritters :love:

I remember my pal going into the beer-off and saying "Mr Summerfield how much are your penny arrow bars"

Oh what wits we were

I miss Mrs Appleby's parsley sauce at philimore school. mmmmm

Chitterlings and Bag, with lashings of Non-Brewed Condiment Vinegar, Salt and White Pepper. Yum, yum.

JEEZ that takes me back a bit G/PARENTS and my dad used to have it tried it once all you could taste was condiments, was sick as dog afterwards :hihi:

What about cucumber and onions cut up and put in a big bowl of vinegar then put on bread and stork sandwitches

I had that last week at my Aunties in Hoyland.

cucumber and onions, those were the days

or sliced tomato in vinegar and pepper.

I know what i'm having for tea tonight

I was reading the post about fishcakes reminded me of the schoolboy joke

chips and a Pxssole please

son its spelt with an R not a P

sorry mister chips and an arse-hole please

We were so easily amused