Which Steel company in Sheffield had a branch in Brazil

In the 1930's my aunt HANNAH WAIN (married name unknown) went to South America with her husband. He worked for a steel company in Sheffield and transfered there.

The family lost touch .

Anybody out there Know anything?

Isn't there a story that the first South American football teams were organised through a Sheffield steel company?

Thank you for your reply Steptoad.

It sounds interesting, and I had not heard that before. Shall branch out and check out the history of Brazilian football.

Wainy

In the 1930's my aunt HANNAH WAIN (married name unknown) went to South America with her husband. He worked for a steel company in Sheffield and transfered there.

The family lost touch .

Anybody out there Know anything?

I started work at Arthur Balfour & Co. in the Wicker in 1957 and they had a branch in Sao Paulo, Brazil. They later became Balfour Darwins and also then merged with Edgar Allen. Don't know if that is of any help to you.

ParsleyDiva

Thank you so much. That is an interesting lead. We have tried for years to find her. Have been on the Brazilian websites- for Sao Paulo but with no luck. At least now I have a possible Company name to go back with.

I often wonder if there is anyway of tracing a Passport issue, that, would give her maiden name and married name too. Do not know if passports were around at that time.

This tracing family history is a very interesting thing, but oh, how much easier if we had only asked that generation more details before they all died .

Margaret

ParsleyDiva

Thank you so much. That is an interesting lead. We have tried for years to find her. Have been on the Brazilian websites- for Sao Paulo but with no luck. At least now I have a possible Company name to go back with.

I often wonder if there is anyway of tracing a Passport issue, that, would give her maiden name and married name too. Do not know if passports were around at that time.

This tracing family history is a very interesting thing, but oh, how much easier if we had only asked that generation more details before they all died .

Margaret

Glad to have been of help, though perhaps only slight! I worked for Balfour Darwins in the Export Dept so do remember the company having a branch in Sao Paulo, and I was there for 20 years but obviously don't know if they even exist now. Anyway, Good Luck, Elaine

ParsleyDiva

Margaret

Hi. I’ve also started the family history thing, know exactly what you mean, anyway I’ve come across this.

Family History Centre

Local Branch

Sheffield England

Wheel Lane

Grenoside

Sheffield, Yorkshire, England

Phone: 44 (0) 114-245 3124

Hours: T, Th, F 10am-2pm, 7pm-9pm; W 10am-12pm.

not been there yet but they might have something, good luck. Terry

About 150 yrs ago a UK company were building the first railway in Brasil. Threr HQ was São Paulo, and they opened the fist social club im Brasil. It was called, and still is São Paulo Athletic Club. I used to be a member. During this time.one family sent their son to be educated in the UK,He was .and when he returned he brought back a football, and that is where it all started. They formed a competision and in fact where the first state champions. The lads name was Charles Miller, and in fact the area one which the city club is builtis called Praça Charles Miller.

Some of the players left the athletic club and founded a football club called São Paulo Football Club.It´s a very good team.

There is in São Pauioa team called Corinthians. It gets it´s name from the UK amature team which visited Brasil, by boat, and where seen playing on the beach. The brasilians liked what the saw and founded Corinthians, Who´s ground is called St. George, and wear an anchor as their emblam, Sometimes even the flag, red cross on a white background.

Hope that I´ve helped you

Percy Iggo

Wainy .. I worked at Edgar Allen Steels and the group had i think places in s america lots to do with copper