Sheffield city council - ARRRGH

I've seen a few comments that there isn't enough council housing, could this be anything to do with knocking several estates down? maybe those thousands of homes that are now lumpy spaces of grass could have been useful.

there are no flats at woodthorpe. they are all houses.

Every council estate in Sheffield has flats.

I've seen a few comments that there isn't enough council housing, could this be anything to do with knocking several estates down? maybe those thousands of homes that are now lumpy spaces of grass could have been useful.

The majority of the houses which have been demolished were beyond economical repair. House people in those and you then get them complaining that the council is rubbish and they rent out poor housing. Dont house them and you get the ranmting that the council is rubbish and they dont house people who "need" it. No win situation

And what will be happening to those "lumpy spaces of grass"? They'll be built on to provide more housing.

Have you ever asked anyone why they were knocked down in the first place?

I had a house at shirecliffe that ended up being knocked down. I'm not that 'up' on this stuff but it seemed to me all it needed was central heating and DG put in, same as what they are doing to a lot of houses now, seemed a waste to knock them down, especially as there was such a big outcry about it, with not many tenants wanting to move. I always thought it would have made more sense to knock a couple of 2 beds into one and have a few bigger houses. But as I said, I could be completely wrong and maybe the foundations were ready to collapse or something. It does look quite 'untidy' to have what appears to be wasteland in between several blocks of houses. What housing are they building? As we were promised the land wasnt going to be sold off to private developers. Is it to build more social housing and if so, isnt that going to be more expensive that sorting out the old houses?

Ditto.

I lived on Longley Avenue West, and was moved out 6 years last month ago.

My home was in a similar condition to the one they moved us to, except now its a lumpy patch of grass.

so :- gone is a 2 bed council house, a resettlement grant, hours of our time, cost of demolition-man hours etc. but the community has a useless patch of grass.

Very good.

omg thats where i was, and i moved at exactly the same time as you! do i know you? :suspect:

The land which has been created by demolishing council housing is going to be for mixed use redevelopment. Some will be sold on to private developers, some will be used for social housing and some is going to be used for creating new public buildings (libraries, shops etc.) This whole process takes a long time. The regeneration of the North of Sheffield isnt going to be a quick fix. It is going to take decades to complete and the benefits will only become clear over time. The cleared land is being planted with a wild flower mix to create green areas whilst the plans for each pocket of land are finalised so shouldnt really be an eyesore.

The land which has been created by demolishing council housing is going to be for mixed use redevelopment. Some will be sold on to private developers, some will be used for social housing and some is going to be used for creating new public buildings (libraries, shops etc.) This whole process takes a long time. The regeneration of the North of Sheffield isnt going to be a quick fix. It is going to take decades to complete and the benefits will only become clear over time. The cleared land is being planted with a wild flower mix to create green areas whilst the plans for each pocket of land are finalised so shouldnt really be an eyesore.

That's a really good explanation Phylis. I'd add that part of the reason for demolition was lack of demand in some areas - BEFORE house prices started to rocket in the last few years. Also, councils have realised that massive housing estates don't really work for society today. The levels of deprivation, worklessness/benefit claims and anti social behaviour are all much higher than in areas where there is either all private housing or a mixed environment.

On the flip side of the coin though. Convincing people to buy houses on these estates could prove to be a tricky task. Anti social behaviour is still going to be a problem.