Centertainment Parking - New Regulations

there are loads of park and ride possibilities, the reality is people would rather look for a free option.

However, the side effect of that is to peeve the residents whose streets get crammed with commuters, or people who want to go to the cinema, who end up getting stymied thanks to car parks full of commuters vehicles.

i do find it frustrating to see our street chocker block with cars for people using our street as a park and ride around 100 yards from the wildly underused facility at middlewood - it often displaces the cars of those living in the area when they get back from work before the commuters have collected theirs.

fwiw, i would have liked the hillsborough residents permit scheme rolled all the way up to the tram stop to help stop this happening / make people use the facility built, and maintained for their use.

So why do you rule out the other way of solving this - make the park and ride free to park, so that you only pay to go on the tram. Problem solved at one fell swoop.

Actually, from Leeds, could you not drive to the middlewood P&R? Not whilst the rail replacement works are going on, but when that's done.

Middlewood can be abit of a bother to get to from the motorway tho.

I'd be tempted to park up in Chapeltown and get the Train into Sheffield.

Easy to get to, free to park and the Train takes just over 15 mins to get to city centre.

Meadowhall is always full when I get there. Since using Centertainment I have always managed to find a spot, even if a long way from the tram. The Cinema and any other licensed premises require licenses and planning permission for road access.

My employer is near City Hall and has around 20 under ground parking spaces but employs around 70 people. There are not enough car parking spaces in the centre even if they were affordable. Have you ever tried to drive out of the middle of Sheffield on a weekday between 4 and 6:30 pm?

Sheffield needs park and ride on the tram routes. They have just knocked down a perfectly good arena. Ideal place for a park and ride car park.

I used to park on the road alongside the Attercliffe stop but not worked in Sheffield city centre for 6 years so not sure if you can still park there even if you wanted to

I'd definitely oppose that. More than a fifty metres from the park and ride and there is no problem, but the council would happily charge everyone in the area £30 a year for the privilege of parking on the street.

I live closer to leppings lane, and I can assure you it is still a problem.

Aside from that issue, I've llived in permit parking streets before, and tthey've been splendid. It's much more likely (by a major factor) that you'll get parked near your home, and for that alone in the tight and compact streets of areas like Hillsborough, it would be great for us.

Some people are obsessed that any meassure introduced by the council equate to robbery. Sometimes it's just that they work, and are worth doing.

as far as making the park and ride free, is it operated by the council? I suspect it's actually the sytpe, or administered by a private company. Why would they make it free. Why the he'llsshould it be free? Driving and parking is not some human right. Why should I have to subsidise it because some people are to selfish and cheap to do the better thing and use the right facilities?

Meadowhall is always full when I get there. Since using Centertainment I have always managed to find a spot, even if a long way from the tram. The Cinema and any other licensed premises require licenses and planning permission for road access.

My employer is near City Hall and has around 20 under ground parking spaces but employs around 70 people. There are not enough car parking spaces in the centre even if they were affordable. Have you ever tried to drive out of the middle of Sheffield on a weekday between 4 and 6:30 pm?

Sheffield needs park and ride on the tram routes. They have just knocked down a perfectly good arena. Ideal place for a park and ride car park.

Isn't there a multi-story car park just off West Street? Or could you park up around Fullwood/Ranmoor and get the 120 bus?

as far as making the park and ride free, is it operated by the council? I suspect it's actually the sytpe, or administered by a private company. Why would they make it free. Why the he'llsshould it be free? Driving and parking is not some human right. Why should I have to subsidise it because some people are to selfish and cheap to do the better thing and use the right facilities?

I don't quite see the difference between you paying the council to park outside your house, and paying for the park and ride to be free? As for the reason why it should be free, the answer is obvious: not many people use it otherwise. Some of them park on street because it's free, and why shouldn't they? It's a perfectly legal place to park. But rather than force them to use it by stopping anybody parking outside your house, why not just encourage them to use it?

Aside from that issue, I've llived in permit parking streets before, and tthey've been splendid. It's much more likely (by a major factor) that you'll get parked near your home, and for that alone in the tight and compact streets of areas like Hillsborough, it would be great for us.

Some people are obsessed that any meassure introduced by the council equate to robbery. Sometimes it's just that they work, and are worth doing.

It's not a problem up here, I park outside my home everyday. 200 metres as the crow flies from the park and ride.

I agree, no reason the P&R should be free.

Except that the councils own occupancy surveys show this is absolutely NOT the case in Hillsborough where the vast majority of parked cars are owned by the residents.

Except that the councils own occupancy surveys show this is absolutely NOT the case in Hillsborough where the vast majority of parked cars are owned by the residents.

survey or not, the only time our street has had ample parking for residents when returning from work in the afternoon has been the last two weeks, and before that, the last time we had tram replacements.

seeing someone walk up from the tram stop and collect their car from outside your house, 25 minutes after juggling three kids home from 2 streets away inevitably rankles, especially when you've just walked past a virtually deserted, reasonably price car park.

the additional time of strain surrounds the school run, where as we live close to a large primary school, also sees the roads chocka with 4x4's carrying those choosing not to walk, again causing a royal pain in the backside.

despite my arguments here, it's not something that bothers me daily - just an annoyance - however, i do prefer residents parking, and had no issue with them in previous homes in other cities near large transport infrastructure. i wrote in support of the scheme coming to our street, as i genuinely found it creates a nicer street environment.

as far as resident owned cars - there are a lot of houses on our Victorian street of narrow, 1.5 car wide houses that own 3 or more cars, including work vans, tow trucks, spare sports / hobby cars etc, all parked on the street, often not moving for a week at a time - all of these also contribute to making it tough on one car houses with kids and shopping who end up having to trug from the next street over with a mixture of child carrying induced hernias and general frustration.

in a permit scheme, those people pay for their use, as would more of those who wish to dodge paying a fair price for a fair service at the park and ride. it also helps addresses the multiple car households, encouraging those with large work vehicles, motorhomes and leisure cars to find alternative provision for their storage, and i think that's perfectly fair.

ultimately, a free park and ride car park has to be paid for by someone. if the figures stack up that it would make more money for the city to have free park and rides, as more would use the city centre, then i'd support it - but we are dealing with bog standard obliged commuters looking to avoid cost, not visitors looking to spend.

Edited by moke

survey or not, the only time our street has had ample parking for residents when returning from work in the afternoon has been the last two weeks, and before that, the last time we had tram replacements.

seeing someone walk up from the tram stop and collect their car from outside your house, 25 minutes after juggling three kids home from 2 streets away inevitably rankles, especially when you've just walked past a virtually deserted, reasonably price car park.

the additional time of strain surrounds the school run, where as we live close to a large primary school, also sees the roads chocka with 4x4's carrying those choosing not to walk, again causing a royal pain in the backside.

despite my arguments here, it's not something that bothers me daily - just an annoyance - however, i do prefer residents parking, and had no issue with them in previous homes in other cities near large transport infrastructure. i wrote in support of the scheme coming to our street, as i genuinely found it creates a nicer street environment.

as far as resident owned cars - there are a lot of houses on our Victorian street of narrow, 1.5 car wide houses that own 3 or more cars, including work vans, tow trucks, spare sports / hobby cars etc, all parked on the street, often not moving for a week at a time - all of these also contribute to making it tough on one car houses with kids and shopping who end up having to trug from the next street over with a mixture of child carrying induced hernias and general frustration.

in a permit scheme, those people pay for their use, as would more of those who wish to dodge paying a fair price for a fair service at the park and ride. it also helps addresses the multiple car households, encouraging those with large work vehicles, motorhomes and leisure cars to find alternative provision for their storage, and i think that's perfectly fair.

ultimately, a free park and ride car park has to be paid for by someone. if the figures stack up that it would make more money for the city to have free park and rides, as more would use the city centre, then i'd support it - but we are dealing with bog standard obliged commuters looking to avoid cost, not visitors looking to spend.

Good post. As a fellow one-car-and-small-child I agree. In particular about households with 3 or more cars. I moved to Hillsborough knowing that street parking might be an issue at times but didn't expect it to be from other residents.

Good post. As a fellow one-car-and-small-child I agree. In particular about households with 3 or more cars. I moved to Hillsborough knowing that street parking might be an issue at times but didn't expect it to be from other residents.

indeed - we were more than happy to accept saturday afternoons during the football season were going to be madcap, but the scale of domestic parking in streets built without cars in mind is a pain, exacerbated by tram parkers. and i'm sure it is less of an issue on some roads, but those adjacent to the middlewood and leppings lane stops all seem to share the problem, to varying degrees.

I do also think the issue seems to have worsened since the permit scheme was bought in further down into Hillsborough - i sincerely hope the council looks at the scheme again. Then cyclone may have to re-examine the effect it has outside his house! ;)

Parking does seem to be extraordinarily evocative, i just dont get why some people seem to feel it's a right they have to ditch their car where they please (and i appreciate that includes parking outside your house) without paying for it one way or another, and then get defensive when there are repercussions down the line.

back on the thread, i'm amazed centertainment haven't pushed for more extreme parking control / made the car park pay and display, redeemable against your cinema ticket - it clearly negatively impacts their business. The only time i want to go there is to watch a film, and on more than one occasion, have turned back and gone elsewhere due to the car parking situation.