Picture style settings Canon EOS

dvp82

Hi

Still quite new to dslr photography and was just wondering if anyone can advise me on the following.

What picture style setting would you recommened i use ( i mostly shoot in raw and in AV mode ) or should i just stick with the cameras default setting and then play about with sharpness, saturation, colour tone, contrast when i come to edit my pics

My default setting are

In standard mode its

Sharpness 3 & contrast, colour tone, saturation are 0

Landscape is the same apart from sharpness is set to 4

Thanks

Those settings, and others like white balance, are used by the camera to convert to JPG so they'll have no effect if you're shooting raw. The equivalents will be available in your raw file processor.

Thanks, i guess thats why they call it a raw image ! as i can play about with exposure, WB and so on when i come to process the pics.

What would you recommened i save the pics as after processing the raw image, JPG, TIFF ect.

Ah - now there's a question! There's a thread all about that here but basically it boils down to what you're going to do with the files after you've saved them.

If you're going to work on them some more then you should save in a lossless format like TIFF or your photo editor's native format (eg. Photoshop .PSD). If you're just going to print them or gaze fondly upon them then you can get away with saving in a 'lossy' compressed format like JPG. I think PNG is lossy too but nowhere near as bad as JPG. Each time you open, edit and save a JPG file you will lose detail and gain unwanted artifacts in your picture because of the JPG compression algorithm. It's barely noticeable on screen with a high quality / low compression JPG but very definitely visible after a couple of saves at low quality / high compresison. I guess most people who use Photoshop, me included, save PSD files mostly but create high quality / low compression JPGs to send for printing.

If you're just going to print them or gaze fondly upon them then you can get away with saving in a 'lossy' compressed format like JPG.

Aargh no! Only ever save copies as JPEGs, always keep full unflattened versions of your files. As you never know if you'll want/need to tweak them later.