I'm sure you'll be welcome back anytime Farmboy.

I started in 1997 so will have missed you.

I don't think my knees could handle martial arts anymore to be honest. :hihi:

aww...ok

Well you know where we are now at least.

Was really good last night.

Thanks guys. I practised Wado Ryu from 1973-1979 with John Lowcock and Danny Connor at Attercliffe Vestry Hall and more recently with a guy called Craig Burke in Barnsley who teaches exclusively Sport Karate from 2003-2007. I'm keen to maintain my kumite at a high level and more traditional aspects of the art. I didn't actually know Keith Hurst but thanks for the invite. The London Rd. club was run by a guy who I originally trained with at Toru Takamizawa s' dojo at the famous Temple Club in Birmingham. I might have a look at the Chapeltown club, proximity and all that. I currently train in ****o-Ryu karate

Danny Connor has now passed away i think he lived in manchester till his death unless its a different danny connor im on about.

The london road club was run by Patrick Scantlebury and yes karatemma has highlighted where they are now.

Craig Burke is a LIVING LEGEND!!!

Danny was one of the original karate practitioners in UK. When I trained with him he had just returned from a 3 year spell in Japan. He was an interesting character he had us kneel in moksu for one hour, eyes shut, back straight, not moving, if you moved you knew about it, an interesting experience to say the least. Try it at home see how long you last. He was at the time 1974 moving into chinese systems and our training was a mixture of Wado Ryu, Wing Chun, Tai Chi and some weapons. He moved eventually to chi gung via Wing Chun and Tai Chai. He reportedly paid thousands to learn some obscure stuff. He opened a shop on Swann st Manchester. Died several years ago. The Temple club at Birmingham was legendary my mate and I mades several journeys there. Takamizawa visited Sheffield several times. I trained with Craig for several years a great instructor and person but at my age needed some traditional training, I just about managed to keep up as my overall fitness is very good

Danny was one of the original karate practitioners in UK. When I trained with him he had just returned from a 3 year spell in Japan. He was an interesting character he had us kneel in moksu for one hour, eyes shut, back straight, not moving, if you moved you knew about it, an interesting experience to say the least. Try it at home see how long you last. He was at the time 1974 moving into chinese systems and our training was a mixture of Wado Ryu, Wing Chun, Tai Chi and some weapons. He moved eventually to chi gung via Wing Chun and Tai Chai. He reportedly paid thousands to learn some obscure stuff. He opened a shop on Swann st Manchester. Died several years ago. The Temple club at Birmingham was legendary my mate and I mades several journeys there. Takamizawa visited Sheffield several times. I trained with Craig for several years a great instructor and person but at my age needed some traditional training, I just about managed to keep up as my overall fitness is very good

1974??? Thats the year i was born in!!! :hihi:

Craig Burke is also a top notch thaiboxer/kickboxer/K-1 fighter.

Yes i know as I may have mentioned a couple of times I trained with him until recently for 4 years

im looking for a wado ryu karate club in sheffield near the town centre for easy access!!! i want somewhere where i can train saturdays if possible can anyone help me please!!!

Hi Kickgirl

I lost touch with the Sheffield Wado world decades ago. The problem is the prolific number of martial art alternatives available within the city area. I think there is a club on Ecclesall Rd, not city centre I know but....

I believe that Wado is an interesting system and often undervalued. Good luck with your search.

There is a good Goju ryu club off West street. Not Saturdays unfortunately

thanks ridgewalk!!!

i mite give them a ring ecclesall roads not too far away!!

I know wot u mean about the alternatives though, most clubs offer a mixture of syles these days which is ok but the original traditional styles seem to be dying out and soooooooooo hard to find which is a real shame cus it is the traditional way after all

thank again

Have had nothing to do with martial arts for many years now, but I just bumped into the names of Danny Connors and John Lowcock - brought back fond memories of when I used to train under them at their school on Granville Road (1974-78 ish). I was quite shocked and saddened to hear of Danny's death. Do you know what he died of? He can't have been much over the age of 60 - if that. I remember he was well liked at the club. While everyone else was in traditional Karate suit, he'd be instructing in his track suit and plimsolls - and teaching techniques that seemed, to us, very unorthodox (and a bit refreshing ;-) ) - compared to the traditional Wado Ryu stuff that John Lowcock was teaching us; though training at that club was, generally, very enjoyable. Also, have you heard anything of what happened to John, I wonder what he's doing with himself these days.

Yep, great memories!

This is unreal - I was sat here with my mum this morning and we were both talking about John Lowcock and I found some pics of him at my 18th birthday party (many moons ago lol), we would love to know what he's up to if anyone is still in contact with the great man himself!