100 Police jobs to go..

I presume that the officer dealing with a samurai sword incident will undertake a risk assessment and attempt to contain the situation until suitable backup arrives.

The statistics indicate that Police officer is a safer job than many others.

When you do, they're always in pairs.

People complain that they never see a bobby, if everybody petitioned the goverment saying they want more police, the goverment would surely have to listen. .

More fantastic news for the criminals, no prison space and no police to arrest them... what a wonderful country we live in!

Yes we need more police. But we need to free them from paperwork and let them get on with it. the amount of forms and rules and regs they have to follow makes arresting or cautioning a real hassle.

Bring back Life on Mars.

I'd take old Gene over Med whateverisname as the chief round here.

(What do you mean its just a telly show - he is real!)

I presume that the officer dealing with a samurai sword incident will undertake a risk assessment and attempt to contain the situation until suitable backup arrives.

The statistics indicate that Police officer is a safer job than many others.

a) Yes they will. Whether this RA takes seconds, minutes or longer. The safety of the Officer and the general public (and that includes you, remember!) is paramount. Would you expect an Officer to attempt to overpower a bloke with a Samurai sword on his/her own?

b) Give us a link to these 'statistics' then....

not that it's relevant to this topic. but officers are assaulted every day. many more minor assaults will go unreported, but as darkoak says, please show us the link that backs up your statement.

depending on the scenario yes an officer would more than likely contain the area until back up arrived. but it may depend. a single officer is better alive and watching the offender until back up arrives to better deal, than on the floor in a pool of blood!

How can the government warrant cutting down on police budgets, when we need MORE officers on the beat NOT less! Why are officers forced to go on duty to patrol in area cars solo? especially worrying at night, when they should be double crewed.

Lack of staff on shifts due to budget cuts? Simply NOT on!

I can foresee the future being, not of proper police officers on the beat but more of "plastic policemen" with no real powers of arrest and cilvilians who have no real knowledge or training to deal with the diverse situations faced by your average police officer.

if everybody wrote complaining about it, surely the goverment would have to act. it seems that the goverment has more important priorities in mind than having safe streets, peace of mind for civillians, low crime rates, etc. its the same in the NHS i believe. under staffed hospitals with no budgets. The goverment just does not seem to care.....

To whom do we complain???? I'd much rather see a fully qualified bobby on the beat rather than civi's with a uniform fetish. I suppose, as always our finest boy's n girl's in blue feel they're hands are tied, what with red tape, budget cuts and the age old paperwork v CPS nightmare of modern day policing.

This country has gone to the dogs big style, it's about time we all took action and stated our true views to those in government.

See below for a couple of links to support my statement. Typical Police wanting evidence! :D

I think it’s fair enough and is eminently sensible for officers to take account of everybody's safety when they arrive on scene.

The problem is that there are not enough officers to give the level of support that the public would like. This leads to resentment towards the Police as often officers do not attend, or arrive too late to catch the criminals. Note that I am not blaming individual officers for this.

Police officers are comparatively well paid (note that I am not commenting on whether they deserve it). Any attempt to reduce this meets with strong resistance. This is part of the reason for having non-warranted officers in support roles and PCSOs in public facing roles. Indeed I heard on the radio this week (and don't therefore have a link to) that some Police Authorities might be capped this coming financial year.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/statistics/overall/hssh0607.pdf

http://www.hse.gov.uk/statistics/overall/fatl0304.pdf

not that it's relevant to this topic. but officers are assaulted every day. many more minor assaults will go unreported, but as darkoak says, please show us the link that backs up your statement.

depending on the scenario yes an officer would more than likely contain the area until back up arrived. but it may depend. a single officer is better alive and watching the offender until back up arrives to better deal, than on the floor in a pool of blood!

See below for a couple of links to support my statement. Typical Police wanting evidence! :D

I think it’s fair enough and is eminently sensible for officers to take account of everybody's safety when they arrive on scene.

The problem is that there are not enough officers to give the level of support that the public would like. This leads to resentment towards the Police as often officers do not attend, or arrive too late to catch the criminals. Note that I am not blaming individual officers for this.

Police officers are comparatively well paid (note that I am not commenting on whether they deserve it). Any attempt to reduce this meets with strong resistance. This is part of the reason for having non-warranted officers in support roles and PCSOs in public facing roles. Indeed I heard on the radio this week (and don't therefore have a link to) that some Police Authorities might be capped this coming financial year.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/statistics/overall/hssh0607.pdf

http://www.hse.gov.uk/statistics/overall/fatl0304.pdf

Thanks for the stats. To save others having to read through the reports, it's fair to say that a huge majority of those killed at work each year were working in the industries of construction, agriculture forestry and fishing. Many of them tragic accidents or neglect on the part of employers/employees.

Nobody on the thread has actually stated that it is a profession where you are more likley to be fatally injured than any other. Rather, the dangers which many incidents involve and that Officers potentially face on a daily basis are greater. Even the most appararently routine and straightforward job can unexpectedly turn into something into more serious.

Other than that, I largely agree with your most recent comments above.

The police do a very difficult job and most do it well. I think they deserve a lot more respect than some people give them! We need more of them, a lot more, and if the government starts cutting the number of officers in the UK, the country will be in a bigger mess than it already is!

The first thing the government need to do is shut the PC brigade up and get some common sense back into politics, and ditto the lawyers. Together, they have crippled this country.