Shiregreen school aka bracken hill school

Snoop

Yes that was Janet Collins. She left teaching and went down a very Academic Route as an Educational Researcher working with Sheffield University.

Keith Sanderson left to run a deli store at Totley but returned to teaching as a supply teacher, I believe.

I am one of the teachers you mentioned earlier but left teaching around 15 years ago.

Ooooh.......

PM me and tell me which one!

i do believe scoop the teacher whose dogs dragged her into the river don was called mrs shemeld she was my teacher for about 1 week before it happened then we had a new teacher a largish lady with dark hair, name is on the tip of my tongue. I was there between 1980 and 1988 ish when i moved to hinde house i remember mrs gorrill she ran girls scouts in her weekends then mr booth he was great i also remember mrs roberts and a few other teachers, i would love to hear from anyone who went to school during those years, did anyone remeber mr taylor , miss rose,( mr akers ? i think )

I spent most of my years on the park behind the school and yes the dinner room did get burnt down i even know the name of the boy that did it.

On the matter of the green lady ghost yes she was supposed to be in the attic room which did used to be a staffroom but they changed i to downstairs next to the office, the old attic used to have a horrible set of very steep winding stairs that led up to it i was on the very end of the building upper floor just out from the classroom corridor we were told a variety of stories about her being there from world war 1 as the school was used as a hospital then.

My father went to it when it was a grammar school and so did all of his brothers and sisters they all lived on the flower estate and the quarry was an old brickyard as my grandmother (my fathers mother) worked there in her early teens, unfortunately my grandparents died in 1981 and 2000 so i cant ask them i would if i could as i would love to know more anyways hope this helps you .

can only remember mr priest probably the reason for this is probably because he used to dig fingers into your back when he was behind you for talking, also throw the chalk at you, and some times the board rubber. my mum also went up to see him about this. Was around 1775/76

Mark 1971 did you know my brothers Gary or Mark Bilton off daffodil rd ?

Mr priest was a push over too Mr inman, he once made me wet my pants just by shouting at me.but i have got memories.yes gary was in my class.

Youremove

The teacher you refer to as having died when falling in the river was a Mrs Simpson who lived near Hope and the incident happened at Grindleford (River Matlock?)

Marjorie Shemeld sadly died of cancer. Not sure who the lady was who replaced her though

Youremove

The teacher you refer to as having died when falling in the river was a Mrs Simpson who lived near Hope and the incident happened at Grindleford (River Matlock?)

Marjorie Shemeld sadly died of cancer. Not sure who the lady was who replaced her though

yes you'r write i think it happend over xmas holiday..she jumped into the canel to save her dog and drowned.!

Gosh. With respect talk about Chinese whispers. Suzanne Simpson was about 150yds ahead of her husband in grindleford when apparently (no one knows for sure) one of the dogs pulled on the lead causing her to fall on the river striking her head.

Not the don or the canal. It happened on the same day as the Mary Rose was dragged from the sea bed defo not Xmas

Gosh. With respect talk about Chinese whispers. Suzanne Simpson was about 150yds ahead of her husband in grindleford when apparently (no one knows for sure) one of the dogs pulled on the lead causing her to fall on the river striking her head.

Not the don or the canal. It happened on the same day as the Mary Rose was dragged from the sea bed defo not Xmas

i'am just saying whot our head master told us when it heppend?

I have just found this site which is rather remarkable. I taught at Shiregreen Nursery First School in 1988 as a Commonwealth Exchange Teacher from Australia. My memories are clear of the wonderful, dedicated staff at the time but very different teaching and learning arrangements compared to Australia. I was in the Transition class with different teachers throughout the year. Unlike most, I enjoyed the school dinners which was somewhat of a novelty for me!

No doubt some of the teachers have moved on or retired but they were a great group.

i do believe scoop the teacher whose dogs dragged her into the river don was called mrs shemeld she was my teacher for about 1 week before it happened then we had a new teacher a largish lady with dark hair, name is on the tip of my tongue. I was there between 1980 and 1988 ish when i moved to hinde house i remember mrs gorrill she ran girls scouts in her weekends then mr booth he was great i also remember mrs roberts and a few other teachers, i would love to hear from anyone who went to school during those years, did anyone remeber mr taylor , miss rose,( mr akers ? i think )

I spent most of my years on the park behind the school and yes the dinner room did get burnt down i even know the name of the boy that did it.

On the matter of the green lady ghost yes she was supposed to be in the attic room which did used to be a staffroom but they changed i to downstairs next to the office, the old attic used to have a horrible set of very steep winding stairs that led up to it i was on the very end of the building upper floor just out from the classroom corridor we were told a variety of stories about her being there from world war 1 as the school was used as a hospital then.

My father went to it when it was a grammar school and so did all of his brothers and sisters they all lived on the flower estate and the quarry was an old brickyard as my grandmother (my fathers mother) worked there in her early teens, unfortunately my grandparents died in 1981 and 2000 so i cant ask them i would if i could as i would love to know more anyways hope this helps you .

Do you remember Mrs Foster and Mr Jamerson the p.e. teachers from 1987 - 1996

Mr Unwin ruled (don't even know if the teacher is still there)

Sorry i don't remember those names. There was a Mr Finlay, Heather the Deputy Head, Mrs Firth the headteacher was on maternity leave, Mrs Evans. I was at the Nursery School and we didn't have a PE teacher but we did have a music teacher. My class was the first one next to the offices.

Unfortunately, I can't recall many more names.

Youremove

Yes it was definately Mrs Simpson who tragically died while falling into the river,so sad to hear about Mrs Shemeld she was on of my form teachers.

Yes it was definately Mrs Simpson who tragically died while falling into the river,so sad to hear about Mrs Shemeld she was on of my form teachers.
i wonder what happened to nicholas mrs shemelds son ? Edited by ricgem2002