Need some advice, I'm starting my own small business.

I'm calling it TD Computers and I will be building computers for the public and businesses, I understand a great deal about custom PCs, and I know companies like Dell and Alienware rip the people off by installing certain components that are cheaper but also slow the system down, such as RAM running at 800Mgz while everything else runs at 1066MGz etc. This slows down the PC, I'm not doing that I make true PCs that run true. But I need some help, I need to know the best way to advertise and sell etc. So if anyone here has their own business could give me a hand I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm trying to keep my prices low too, I get minum profit, the very lowest I could at the moment till I find better suppliers.

Thanks in advance

Tony Doman

Hmm Welcome to quite a competitive business, I think it's very hard for small shops trying to make quality pcs and supply decent goods at fair prices. Especially with the temptations of rock bottom deals from computer giants and other websites. I think your main customers will be enthusiasts/people looking for high spec machines and locals (unless your doing it from home and not having a shop). I think thats why Gemsoft shut down. :(

Good luck to you though and let us know where you are based :)

Best of luck but the margins are really small in this game.

IMO, the main thing to remember is that people aren't particularly buying a custom computer - they're buying a solution to a problem they have, or a scratch for an itch, so to say.

They're paying you for that solution.

as in any business with all the dodgy software around and cheap parts from abroad it will be very hard to turn a profit,

you will be competing against people who dont work and build pc`s at home in there spare time for beer money.

make sure you resource your business plan as there are many pit falls

real tough i wish you loads of luck .

Places like the Sheffield Forums are good too if you're basing your business in Sheffield.

Why don't you tell us a bit about your shop, deals, what you build, and prices etc...maybe in a different thread.

It's a free way to gain a lot of support. I'm currently looking at buying a new computer although I'm leaning towards a laptop more. Do you do custom built laptops and if so what sort of spec/price can I expect?

-Michael

You need an angle....

This can work. Dell and others control the market.

I would target OAPs / older people. Grand children are off travelling the world, they may have other family in other places. They want to communicate via e-mail, view pictures that people have uploaded online.

If Dell sent them a PC they would not know how to get going.

You would offer to build them a basic PC to keep up with the times today and then give them a lesson on how to use e-mail, upload photos etc.

This personal service is what will get you repeat business.

Good luck with it!

Hi,

I don't know you're sorted with your corporate identity yet. But I have over seven years industry experience in logo design and design for print. You can visit my website by searching google for sarahtaffedesign. Let me know if I can be of any assistance. I offer free advice and quotes on design for print projects. Stationery, advertising, leaflets, mailers, brochures etc..

Good luck with your new venture.

Sarah.

I'm calling it TD Computers and I will be building computers for the public and businesses, I understand a great deal about custom PCs, and I know companies like Dell and Alienware rip the people off by installing certain components that are cheaper but also slow the system down, such as RAM running at 800Mgz while everything else runs at 1066MGz etc. This slows down the PC, I'm not doing that I make true PCs that run true. But I need some help, I need to know the best way to advertise and sell etc. So if anyone here has their own business could give me a hand I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm trying to keep my prices low too, I get minum profit, the very lowest I could at the moment till I find better suppliers.

Thanks in advance

Tony Doman

I'd be honest mate, you're quite a few years late. I don't think you're going to make much profit and it's going to be difficult. Especially how the big companies deal with this side of things. It's cheaper for people to go to them.

Yes, business isn't easy but, when you know the market has been milked for years, and now, it's hard nut competitive due to how big companies cornered it, then it's time to be smart and think of an idea within computers..

Be on safe side, market it, and see. You never know. persistence sometimes pays off even more and if you can provide a better, friendly service, and reliable one, then who knows.

Anyway, good luck.