City Centre Apartments

You're not getting old!! I'm 28 and not giving up yet!

We will never agree on city/residential living! People want different things. I'm busy with work and my partner has to commute to Leeds for work. The weekend comes and we like to go out and do things so we hardly spend all that much time at home. A 2-3 bed house would just be a waste of space - and too much cleaning!

But seriously you're not suggesting that anyone would rely on the last bus home...... are you??!!!

Our 2 bed house is probably smaller than your flat. It is the smallest 2 bed house avaliable. It takes minutes to clean and there is no spare space. Commuting is no problem. Probably easier to get to the motorway from our house than from town.

I've just been looking at the prices of apartments in the city centre and can't believe how expensive they are - a bed apartment in west one with an asking price of £135k and city lofts 2 bedroom for a quarter of a million!

Are people paying these kind of prices to keep the prices up?

I've heard of some scare stories regarding west.one - cheap laminates, door handles that easily break and other low quality building materials used, rat infestation etc... Why would the prices be so high if west .one has faced such problems?

Noise?

Safe?

Clean?

Value for money?

Noisy, especially if you live en route to the trigon or any other student buildings 5 minutes from the HUBS (as a student myself thought location would be great for nights out but it's soon worn off as a novelty)

Safe provided you don't go anywhere particularly dark or more than 5 metres from a lit zone, that said, it just becomes common sense to know which parts to avoid, scary though that you can see the danger parts right from your bedroom window.

Clean? If you try ignore the random bits of food left lying around enar a door entrance, but reckon that's more the tenants (god knows what's going to happen when they bring in the hoards of students next year- the building next door was dedicated to students but feeling sorry for the old dears that have bought a flat to retire in at the purely residential building, don't think anybody was asked about this *grumble* )

Not sure about value- don't think would ever buy one of these, too heavily controlled by the agency running it, but the rent for what you get not too bad, considering the flats up in west bar etc...

I've heard of some scare stories regarding west.one - cheap laminates, door handles that easily break and other low quality building materials used, rat infestation etc... Why would the prices be so high if west .one has faced such problems?

Well I've lived in West One for 3 years and never had any of these problems. The communal areas are well maintained (they should be for the prices we pay), get cleaned at least once a week (including the lift) etc. Apparantly it varies from block to block.

I think city centre apartments have had their day. Sheffield was late to catch on to them now resulting in large quantities of them lying empty. They do not offer good value for money no one will buy them and you lose loads on them if you do buy them.