Naming & shaming bad tenants and landlords

I rent a really nice flat from my landlord who is a very nice, honest and caring landlord.

If I ever have any trouble I call him and although he is quite forgetful he never gets annoyed if I have to remind him and he gets it sorted asap.

He had developed the properties himself from a less than pretty flat to a nice clean and trendy pad. I respect this and in turn keep his place clean and tidy and have even done a spot of decorating myself.

I guess we are the lucky ones...

I let very simple furnished nice clean flats.

Its hard work but I get excellent tenants.

Its a business but I like to rent to people who are willing to treat my homes with respect, I find these people are great tenants and they know if they have problems I will do my best to sort them out quickly.

Thanks to all my nice Tenants.

Landlords a mixed bag.

1. The really overly friendly ones at the viewing can often lay it on a bit thick and they can be a nightmare.

2. Incredibly rude, arrogant and ignorant ones from the start. I had the misfortune to encounter one today. Astonishingly rude. I am only glad he outed himself so early. May you get cat lady next time.

3. The normal people ones, who are just making a living and just expect you to be reasonable and vice versa. Please can we have more. I have met a few of these.

4. The foreign landlords who seem a bit strange, but are actually pretty friendly and ok. I had one of these several years ago for 3 years and he was great. You couldn't get him to do much and you felt as though if you made the place nicer hed want to increase the rent, but overall he was a nice man and I never had any problem. I wouldnt try=ust him to service the gas fire though as he had a mate who came round and did it. I just didnt use the fire. Rent always paid way in advance.

I think that an independent forum on the internet where both parties could vet each other before entering into a contract...unfortunatly I'm not sure of the legalities of what one would have to put in writing about the parties concerned.

I had a great landlord when I was at uni. Despite the fact that she and her husband were retired, they fixed what broke and gave us the respect that you'd expect in return for a house not abused and neighbours not ****** off.

When I came back to Sheffield I encountered a string of scumbags who seemed to think that their tennants were nothing more than cash-cows who should pay up and shut up.

Other friends have had better experiences with landlords in Sheffield, but for some reason I've never come across an honest landlord in the city that rented to students.

• 1 year later...

I rented for the first time a few years ago when I took a new apartment in Essex. The landlord seemed like a nice bloke, took a bond and a contract, the rent was fair, the apartment immaculate. Repairs were done promptly. My only gripe? He insisted on the rent in cash and on collecting it in person on the premises. So once a month he would come for the rent (a large amount bearing in mind the new apartment and the location) in cash and stride around the apartment, obviously inspecting. We didnt feel as if we could say anything to him about this, but it felt very intrusive.

It was obvious to us after a bit why he wanted cash and we got used to the two visits to the bank to draw out enough cash ... but the monthly inspection was too much! It was good to rent off a housing association after that, it now actually feels like our home!

There's a site, I think it's called Agentwatch, where you can report bad letting agents... Don't know if you can mention bad tennants though.

Tapton Estates were appalling when we rented from them and I moved out 6 months before the end of my contract. I found a suitable replacement tenant etc. but am still waiting for my deposit back... I guess it's £250 I'll not see again.

Renting from an independant landlord at the minute and everything is going well so far - he's even offered to replace lightbulbs in the shared areas (kitchen, hallway, bathroom etc) when they blow which not many will do :) He can't really escape though - he owns/works in the shop below the flat ;)

• 1 year later...
not sure about legalities but would it not be good to have a site where bad tenants could be named and shamed (and indeed landlords!)

i have just had a very unfortunate experience with a tenant and would not wish anyone else to fall for this plausible person. i received a text message from her stating heating not working - sent up the plumber within the hour - received a call from plumber (also a friend) stating house was filthy and stunk - decided to pay a visit - only to find a strange man who stated he was renting a room. the house was indeed filthy and left a taste in the back of my throat for hours afterwards. she had stripped a room of wallpaper, leaving chunks in the wall - the house was used as a dossing place - just mattressess and heaps of clothes and junk on the floor, bathroom was rancid. days later the tenant finally made contact and it was arranged that both she and her sub tenant vacate the property - i was left to clear all her junk - including LAST year's xmas tree which had been left rotting, and pile of cat pooh - no landlord deserves this person - i hope the inconsiderate bitch reads this - she will know who she is.

Just out of curiosity - and NOT that it implies anything...was the person a 'professional person' or a HB claimant?

Just out of curiosity - and NOT that it implies anything...was the person a 'professional person' or a HB claimant?

it doesn't really matter if they was hb claimant i am and i am very clean thankyou just cause there on hb doesn't mean there scruffy the ones that look clean aren't always. my previous landlord had a proffessional couple before me and they wrecked his house i lokked after it the whole 18mths i was there i only left cause he had house for sale