Sanctuary housing modernisations in Shiregreen.

I wouldn`t exactly say free of charge been as they`ve put the rent up by £5 a week. Unlike some tennants i pay full rent so i would expect a decent job done in a reasonable length of time.

It doesn't matter whether you pay full rent or are on full or even partial housing benefits. If a repair/renovation job is done, it should be done swiftly, and to a precise set standard of materials and workmanship.

If I and my neighbour both need the same repair, (eg) they're not going to say "well, we'll use six inch nails on 'her' job, and we'll sweep up after ourselves, cos 'she' pays full rent, but for 'Her over there', we'll only use four inch nails, and let her sweep up after we've gone, cos 'she' only pays half-rent, being on benefits!"

I wouldn`t exactly say free of charge been as they`ve put the rent up by £5 a week. Unlike some tennants i pay full rent so i would expect a decent job done in a reasonable length of time.

Do you really think that £5 per week is going to cover the cost of renovating your home. You will never pay back what the refurbishment has cost regardless of how long you stay there.

Do you really think that £5 per week is going to cover the cost of renovating your home. You will never pay back what the refurbishment has cost regardless of how long you stay there.

You are obviously enjoying playing the part of devils advocate as I can see no other reason why you are involved in this discussion. You don't live on shiregreen and you own your home so haven't had to endure any of this. Frankly I find your comments disrespectful and insensitive to all those people dealing with these renovations.

You are obviously enjoying playing the part of devils advocate as I can see no other reason why you are involved in this discussion. You don't live on shiregreen and you own your home so haven't had to endure any of this. Frankly I find your comments disrespectful and insensitive to all those people dealing with these renovations.

I find it deeply offensive that people are moaning at the council for improving their homes at no cost to them. If i have a new kitchen fitted i dont moan that the workmen are going to leave me with no kitchen and make a mess. I also dont get the work done for nothing, i pay for the priviledge of living in chaos. Some people should just be thankful that they have a home which is being brought up to modern standards and not just pick faults with everything.

I find it deeply offensive that people are moaning at the council for improving their homes at no cost to them. If i have a new kitchen fitted i dont moan that the workmen are going to leave me with no kitchen and make a mess. I also dont get the work done for nothing, i pay for the priviledge of living in chaos. Some people should just be thankful that they have a home which is being brought up to modern standards and not just pick faults with everything.

But, phylis, we all know that you are far, far better than any one of us mere plebians, who *shock-horror* pay rent our houses, seeing as you are an owner occupier of a former council property.

Isn't the two-fold point of renting

a) that it is the landlord from whom you are renting who is responsible for maintenance and renovations.

b) in council/ housing association, which are generally long term tenancies, you have paid to the landlord at least as much as the house is worth over the years?

As I said above,

we have the right to rent a property that is up to a fit standard to live in, in a decent standard of repair,

If any repairs or renovations are done, again, we have the right to expect the same courtesy from the contractors, and the same standard of work to be done. We also have the right to complain, should that standard fall short, and we do not get the standard of workmanship expected.

All I can say to that is you really need to chill out if you can get deeply offended by comments made about organisations that you have no connection with. The simple answer is if it offends you don't read it. Find something better to do with your time and before you advise me to do the same, I really have nothing better to do because I have to wait in all day every day on the off chance someone may actually turn up to finish the job that was started 4 months ago.

All I can say to that is you really need to chill out if you can get deeply offended by comments made about organisations that you have no connection with. The simple answer is if it offends you don't read it. Find something better to do with your time and before you advise me to do the same, I really have nothing better to do because I have to wait in all day every day on the off chance someone may actually turn up to finish the job that was started 4 months ago.
I do think phylis is being rather unfair.I live on Shiregreen we bought our house off an elderly couple that bought the property years before.The house was in a right mess and has cost us a fortune so i understand where phylis is coming from BUT the tenants on Shiregreen and other areas also ARE paying rent to sanctuary housing etc so therefore sanctuary are landlords and should make the repairs and do them properly.My parents in law also live on shiregreen and still waiting for theirs to be started.These tenants are not moaning they are paying for a service promised.

Just to add,most of the elderly mentioned that are going through the 'improvements' have paid their rent for years so have probably bought paid for their house a few times over and have brought up children without the comforts of today ie central heating ,upstairs loo etc.

I do think phylis is being rather unfair.I live on Shiregreen we bought our house off an elderly couple that bought the property years before.The house was in a right mess and has cost us a fortune so i understand where phylis is coming from BUT the tenants on Shiregreen and other areas also ARE paying rent to sanctuary housing etc so therefore sanctuary are landlords and should make the repairs and do them properly.My parents in law also live on shiregreen and still waiting for theirs to be started.These tenants are not moaning they are paying for a service promised.

Tenants do have a right to have repairs and maintenance carried out. This isnt the problem. The problem becomes when these tenants then moan about the contractors carrying out the work.

As for paying for the service. Do you really believe that £50-£60 per week pays for all the costs involved in running a house and renting it out because it doesnt. It wont even cover the costs of the paperwork involved. Putting the rents up by £5-£10 per week is a token gesture when it comes to recouping losses. These renevations will never be paid for by the tenants.

Just to add,most of the elderly mentioned that are going through the 'improvements' have paid their rent for years so have probably bought paid for their house a few times over and have brought up children without the comforts of today ie central heating ,upstairs loo etc.

They have done what families did for hundreds of years then. Good for them

If the contractors are cutting corners and not doing the job properly and still being paid the same is this not wrong?I have seen some of the homes in Shiregreen that haven't been repaired in years and they are a right mess.Crumbling window frames, lead plumbing,old wiring.It doesn't matter how much people are paying on rent either, the repairs should be done.My elderly parents have a house on Shiregreen they have both worked all their lives and paid rent but now only pay a few pounds rent do you say that they do not deserve to have repairs done to a high standard?

I suggest to phylis that you come and have a look for yourself being on Foxhill you haven't much idea.I also know a few people doing the work for sanctuary and have been told that they ARE having to cut corners.The plasterers are chucking the plaster on and making a mess therefore the tilers can't put the tiles on correctly this sort of thing.As said I do understand to an extent where you are coming from Phylis as I don't live in a council house and the repairs and improvements to my home have been a small fortune.I stand in our post office listening to the work shy moaning about the improvements now this annoys me , but the majority of people elderly ,working ,disabled do have the right to have the improvements done properly and with as little fuss as possible.