A few thoughts on the group

That almost sounds like an aesops fable. Except there wasn't a fox in it. :)

A fine piece of writing from Sauerkraut. Well done, you. And thank you. Lovely.

(Although I'd have liked a fox too. Please arrange one for your next piece.)

[original message deleted as requested, I got the wrong end of the stick apparently, now replaced by new fable below]

Craftsman D went into an ironmongers store, just for a browse really. Inside a friendly ironmonger greeted him and showed him the range of things on offer. Craftsman D was impressed, some of this stuff was very good quality. Some things weren’t to his taste but others he really liked. “If I bring my custom to this shop, then hopefully I will help this friendly, talented ironmonger to grow.” So he ended up buying some things and made a mental note to spread the word about this wonderful shop.

Then a fox walked in and started sniffing at a little girl who was wearing a red hooded cloak. Instinctively, the little girl grabbed an iron rod and clouted the fox on the head – “What a big bump you have” she exclaimed before leaving the shop with her grandma..

Oh dear. No, the fable won't make sense now. I shall PM you. But no, the fable does not refer to anyone on this thread and as it's confusing I shall delete it. Could you maybe edit away the quote as well, please, RB?

No problem SK, I have filled the void above with a new, non-controversial fable. I hope you like it.

ps your message box is full

Thanks, RB. Have cleared PM box now.

Love the replacement fable! Glad we've got a fox at last, even though he does get a bit of a raw deal :D

Thanks SK.

Yes, well he's taken the place of the wolf, by popular demand. I couldn't quite remember if foxes are goodies or baddies in children's stories. In real life of course most people are quite thrilled when they see a fox but on the other hand they are a bit of a nuisance to farmers, terrorising chickens etc. Of course, I'm not condoning hunting them down with packs of dogs but then again lots of people think hunting foxes is ok - they tend to be country folk, who have a different perspective on things to the urban dwellers.

As writers, we have a responsibility to consider how foxes are portrayed in our stories because it is our stories that will influence the perception of future generations. I have portrayed the fox as a victim of an apparently motive-less crime, but the little girl's violent temper itself came about from a difficult experience she once had when a wolf ate her grandma. Fortunately a woodcutter saved the grandma, but the little girl has been left with mental scars. I perhaps could have balanced things out by allowing the fox to bite her leg in retaliation, but I shall leave it as it is for now - who knows when the fox might seek his revenge....