What's happened to Under the Boardwalk??

yeah, i've put on shows there before it changed hands and they were busy, but a lot of promoters/venues seem to forget to "promote" simply having the show on isn't enough...

also they had a (stupid imo) policy of block booking their nights out to different promoters, so you couldn't book the venue itself for a one off show, they never seemed to get rid of promoters who were pulling in no one... destined to failure...

as for the academy the main problem will be the small room will cost more than most are willing to pay to hire if it uses a similar pricing to the other academy venues.

I have to say i've seen numerous bands gigs at UTB and it was never really busy (well the punk night that had sometime last year was fairly busy). Its a shame, its a nifty little venue

UTB charge on the door to see a few unheard of local bands, maybe if they dropped this more people would go in on quieter nights.

UTB charge on the door to see a few unheard of local bands, maybe if they dropped this more people would go in on quieter nights.

The 'free metal Tuesday' used to be quite successful at the start of last year. Then they started charging, got a different promoter, and the night seemed to die. Last time I went on a Tuesday, a coupla months ago, there were about 10 people in the audience + the 4 bands. It'll be a shame if it stops putting on music; it's not too bad a venue - it's just woefully under-promoted, and the quality of bands they get is often quite low due to the cheapness of venue hire/ticket prices, whilst the Casbah/Grapes generally pulls in better bands due to the higher hire price.

The 'free metal Tuesday' used to be quite successful at the start of last year. Then they started charging, got a different promoter, and the night seemed to die.

I used to go to that sometimes. Stopped going when it wasn't free anymore.