Ecclesfield 'village'

I've seen reference to Tommy Parkinson in an earlier thread, he was the son in law of the landlord of property on St Michael's Road, wasn't he? Yes, I recall him and others in the old band.

I have not yet seen any reference to Percy Brummitt, who was a bit of a legend in Ecclesfield some 40 years ago. And what about little George Shaw, who died about November 1963?

There were some great characters in the village of Ecclesfield many years ago. Alas, so many of them are now totally forgotten. Of course, the Ecclesfield of today is nothing like it was 50 years ago.

Anybody any tales of Percy Brummitt, the local news correspondent, self-appointed "Lord Mayor", and one-time clerk at Newton Chambers?

I've seen reference to Tommy Parkinson in an earlier thread, he was the son in law of the landlord of property on St Michael's Road, wasn't he? Yes, I recall him and others in the old band.

I have not yet seen any reference to Percy Brummitt, who was a bit of a legend in Ecclesfield some 40 years ago. And what about little George Shaw, who died about November 1963?

There were some great characters in the village of Ecclesfield many years ago. Alas, so many of them are now totally forgotten. Of course, the Ecclesfield of today is nothing like it was 50 years ago.

Anybody any tales of Percy Brummitt, the local news correspondent, self-appointed "Lord Mayor", and one-time clerk at Newton Chambers?

Ecclesfield Bowling Club played for the Percy Brummit Cup I seem to remember.He lived in a little cottage which used to stand opposite the bottom of Yew Lane.

Which other characters from Ecclesfield Band do you remember Redfyre

Ecclesfield Bowling Club played for the Percy Brummit Cup I seem to remember.He lived in a little cottage which used to stand opposite the bottom of Yew Lane.

Which other characters from Ecclesfield Band do you remember Redfyre

img518.jpg

Anyone remember any of these old Band members pic taken circa 1954

Tommy Parkinson still lives in Ecclesfield, he will be 93 in January. He's a bit frail but still loves his music and manages the occasional tune on his piano.

img518.jpg

Anyone remember any of these old Band members pic taken circa 1954

Tonio- in your photograph of the Ecclesfield Band, the man third from left looking at the musician is Richard (Dick) Hartley. His daughter is still in the village, although it is well over two years since I saw her.

I can't remember the name of Tom Parkinson's father in law, but I think he was the main man in the band at one time. Billy Hoyland is someone I knew who was a member of the band for many years, he played a trombone, I believe. Went on a trip to Skegness with the band in the 60s, and also to Bridlington.

Wasn't Guy Comport, a local businessman, involved with the band at one stage?

Don't recognise anyone on the picture.

Tommy Parkinson still lives in Ecclesfield, he will be 93 in January. He's a bit frail but still loves his music and manages the occasional tune on his piano.

You are right about Tommy Parkinson. His in laws were Robert & Margaret Mawson. Tommy was always known for his excellent piano playing.

Percy Brummitt and his wife lived at 7 High Street. He was, as you say, the local reporter for the South Yorkshire Times.

I can't remember the name of Tom Parkinson's father in law, but I think he was the main man in the band at one time. Billy Hoyland is someone I knew who was a member of the band for many years, he played a trombone, I believe. Went on a trip to Skegness with the band in the 60s, and also to Bridlington.

Wasn't Guy Comport, a local businessman, involved with the band at one stage?

Don't recognise anyone on the picture.

Guy Comport was Managing Director of William Green & Co (Station Road). He lived at The Red House, Chapeltown Road.

Has anyone come across or can remember Arther Croft who I believe lived around High Greave? He worked at Smithywood and was the NUM delegate in 1958 or George Evans, he lived on St Michaels Road? or Frank Woolhouse, ?? Ridge and ?? Salt they were the Manager, Under Manager and Marker-out who became a Foreman in 1952 or 53 at Brightside Foundry.

In my learning days, I made pots of tea for each one of them. I also got a clout from each one, for not listening carefully to them when they were explaining the job.

But what they told me, eventually lead me to have entirely fully employed working life.

Can anyone remember the men who worked in the Core Shop.

That is where I started my apprenticeship. At the handle end of a brush - sweeping up, Fetching anything, Placing the bets with the bookie's runner and making the tea along with taking my Prim & Prep. S1. then S2. at evening school. Day release was not completely introduced at that time.

Brightside foundry is now closed. When did this happen.

Arthur Croft lived in Knowle Road, later moving to a flat in High Street (side of the old Police Station). I remember George Evans and his wife from St Michael's Road. I knew their daughter Margaret. The ?????Salt was Albert Salt.

Tonio- in your photograph of the Ecclesfield Band, the man third from left looking at the musician is Richard (Dick) Hartley. His daughter is still in the village, although it is well over two years since I saw her.

The people in the photo are L to Rt...

Bill Dearden,? Kyme, Dick Hartley, Jack Flathers, Tony Boon,,...?..., David Flathers, Joe Hartley and Arthur Newton

The old man with the trombone was celebrating his 80th, or maybe higher, birthday and still playing with the band.I think his name was George Kyme.He lived in the terrace of houses on High St which had Atheys beer off at one end.

Looking at me in the photo I think I was about 14 which puts its date at 1954.

img518.jpg

The people in the photo are L to Rt...

Bill Dearden,? Kyme, Dick Hartley, Jack Flathers, Tony Boon,,...?..., David Flathers, Joe Hartley and Arthur Newton

The old man with the trombone was celebrating his 80th, or maybe higher, birthday and still playing with the band.I think his name was George Kyme.He lived in the terrace of houses on High St which had Atheys beer off at one end.

Looking at me in the photo I think I was about 14 which puts its date at 1954.

Yes, Bob Mawson and his wife Maggie, I remember them. Esp I remember Bob collecting the rent from the Hoyland's house on St Michael's --he must have made a fortune from the rent on that house (it never had hot & cold water, or a bathroom or any significant modern facility), which I think cost him a couple of hundred quid in the thirties.

But he was a character, and you couldn't fail to like him. Maggie, too, was a character.

The names of Joe and Dick Hartley, along with Jack Flathers, are definitely familiar in connection with the band.

I recall Arthur Croft. Used to see him waiting for a bus at the Colley end of High Greave. I believe that his daughter was married to Barry Hines, who later became very well known as a writer ('Kes', etc).

George Evans and his wife lived next door to the Hoylands. Number 70 St Michael's Road? George had a son called Geoffrey and a daughter called Margaret. Margaret moved to Manchester, I think, after she married. Geoffrey married Bill Dawson's daughter, and the last I heard they were living somewhere up near Ecclesfield School.

Re Percy Brummitt, yes he was the correspondent for the South Yorkshire Times, but he was much more than that. He was also a stringer for both the Sheffield Telegraph and The Star, and for a number of nationals, too. He had a very profitable line in local football scores for the Sunday Express, as I recall. I always remember that on Star Walk day it was open house at his place on High Street for the reporters and the photographer covering the event.

They do say that in the days when Percy was still working at Thorncliffe, he could make more in a weekend from his role as a stringer than he made in two weeks as a Newton Chambers clerk. He was certainly one of the great characters of Ecclesfield and surrounding districts, and it was said that there were few local clubs and suchlike that he wasn't a member of --by being a member it ensured he was kept informed of what was going on! But he was also a very generous guy. If Percy bought you a drink, it was usually a large whisky!

A lot of people in the old days had plenty of anecdotes about Percy, and it's a pity they didn't get written down.