Passes- fares out on trams?

why do people (who often been on for more than a few minutes) never have their passes or fares out ready when the conductors come round??

I love to watch peoples faces when the conductor gets to them and asks them for their fare/pass..often they look completley astounded or like they've been slapped in the face with a wet cod.

And why do people offer up £10/£20 notes for £1.30 fares?? They wouldn't do it on buses.Bizarre.

Mind you saw a kid other day ask for a 40p fare and offer the conductor a £20 note and the conductor gave it him all back in change including plenty of copper.That must have been sweet revenge

and kids rarely,if ever,have their passes out which entitle them to 40p fares and always seem to have to be asked but can produce it as quick as owt when threatned with full fare.

People watchin's great.

I've had to give a £10 note on a bus before for a £1.60 fare. There is a cash machine near my bus stop but shops aren't generally open to get change. Even if I wanted to give a £20 they can't refuse, it's still money.

The other day a bus driver told me to get off the bus when i gave him a fiver. why is it the passenger's responsibility to always have exactly the right change? shouldn't the driver have a float on board with him?

not having a go at bus drivers, but it does annoy me when you get sighs and dirty looks when you don't have EXACTLY the right change. it doesn't encourage me to take the bus over driving!

I've used a £20 note before for a £1.60 fare on the tram. It's not my fault if I have no change on me, and the only way I can get some is by going to a cash machine where the smallest I can withdraw is £10.

If you offer the £10 or £20 then you are more likely to get on free too. :D

er jambo..why isn't it your fault you have no change on you?? the dogs?? Gods??

I'm certain bus drivers/tram conductors do have a float but i'm sure it's not endless or unlimited,not like a shop where one of the staff can nip to the bank/next door for change etc.P'raps trams/buses should start pulling up at stops and the conductor popping into the bank and delaying the service while he/she gets some more change.

It's in bye laws about tendering correct change and they CAN refuse to accept any thing they can't change and refuse to allow you to travel.Maybe the comment they'll allow you to travel free if they can't change it speaks volumes

Aside from that it's just a courtesy if nothing else.

Like kids standing up when the bus/tram is busy to let others sit down.Christ I used to get a clip off my mother if I didn't do that and forcibly made to stand by her.

er jambo..why isn't it your fault you have no change on you?? the dogs?? Gods??

Take now for an example. I have 17p to my name until I get paid on Friday. Payday finally arrives, what do I do in the morning when I want to get the bus to work? Take £10 out the cash machine and rip a two inch sqaure off it for the bus driver?

go to a shop..buy a paper..mints etc?? Maybe if they refused to let you travel and kicked you off a few times you'd make sure you'd got something smaller or correct

And alot of kids look like 'kids' therefore a pass is not asked for. My son has only had to spring his pass once so far. He is obviously under 16 so I don't see the problem

why do people (who often been on for more than a few minutes) never have their passes or fares out ready when the conductors come round??

Passes are another thing, but folk don't get their fares out, ready, in the hope of being missed ... simple!

go to a shop..buy a paper..mints etc?? Maybe if they refused to let you travel and kicked you off a few times you'd make sure you'd got something smaller or correct

I probably would if there were any open at that time. Isn't that also inconveniencing the shop keeper too? Whoever you give it to for change is going to be annoyed. And what if I don't want any mints? :huh:

Take now for an example. I have 17p to my name until I get paid on Friday.

And whose fault is it that you spent the money you're going to need for Friday's bus fare? Tina from down the road?

Even if I wanted to give a £20 they can't refuse, it's still money.

Who sold you that delusion? They can refuse passage to anybody.