Dog whisperer TV Programme

I've been reading throught this thread again. Great discussion.

Was watching CM again today, he was talking about affection and how it doesn't have to involve touching and stroking our dog, as we think affection should be.

Earlier in the thread someone compared the military training ridgebacks and rottweilers to pitbulls. I don't think there breeds have a comparison. Just because they can be aggresive,does not mean they are naturally, like bull breeds.

I have to reiterate what vikki said earlier that on the show it flashes up and says that some of the methods should not be attempted without a professional.

I had loads of other thoughts on thread but have forgotten them now....apart from what was the comment about spiked collars about....?:confused:

Dogs are social creatures and love being touched. Funnily enough, patting them on the head (as has been done for years) is usually aversive to dogs and is a good way of teaching the 'away' cue, however, stroking and petting is widely appreciated by the majority of dogs.

CM also says that dogs don't get anything from being off the lead - what a load of utter tosh!

If your dog loves it - it's a good method of reinforcement. End of. CM's problem is he doesn't seem to see dogs as individuals and doesn't take into consideration what motivates the individual dog.

It depends completely as to how your dog's been brought up, if he's been abused in the past then no - touching may not be a good method of affection/reinforcement because he may have an aversion to it. If your dog's used to being fussed and petted, they most likely love it and who on Earth is CM to tell you otherwise?!

I don't believe that my dogs don't thrive on my touch anymore than I believe my dogs do not get anything out of being off the lead to run ahead of me - yet, according to CM, there's nothing rewarding in it for them.

CM isn't against touching and petting as a means of affection, all he is trying to say is that some people think that the only way a dog will think you love it is by kissing / hugging it etc, whereas taking a dog on a long walk, playing catch with it, teaching it a trick are other ways you can show it affection.

Even though there are parts of CM training I don't agree with (choke collars etc) I do see where he is coming from in this instance.

The best way of 'disciplining' my Charlie for something he's done wrong is to ignore him. He thrives on attention. I don't give it him he knows what he has done is wrong! I don't need to yank on his collar to get his attention when walking I just talk to him. His reward for behaving on the lead is playing fetch or just running round like an idiot with me.

If I were to train my Charlie using CMs training methods he would soon become withdrawn and wouldn't trust me. He wouldn't be my dog any more he would just be A dog. I don't want that.

Havent seen his show since last saturday 17th, when i sat there and watched as he kissed a dog called Nellie on the cheek.

He also affectionately petted another two dogs earlier in the show, so the man's not that bad.

The man may not be but his techniques are. I still don't think the good he may (yet to see evidence) do comes anywhere near to the harm he does!

I have watched the one on tonight and tryed to look at from the point of view of the posters who favour his technique.

Well i can honestly say my mind has not been changed. He acts like the big i am, look at me walking a big akita X who dislikes other dogs with these two little dogs on a string walking beside me who trust that i will look after them while the big dog flings itself about but i can handle it i am the dog whisperer after all.

What rubbish!!!! All i saw him do was push dogs about and make noises at them. It was all about dominance. Do you know what i don't wanna push my dogs about, i don't want to grab them as if i am biting them to make them stop what they are doing. I do step in front of my dogs and move them with my body but i praise and treat when they respond and use positive reinforcement rather than hissing at them and using fear.

What is the treadmill rubbish about :rant: i have never seen such ridiculous practice for god sake take it out for a walk play with it in a park, and fancy having a dog on a slip lead whilst on a treadmill. How utterly dangerous and irresponsible. I would like to see that little whimp of a man pick up a newfoundland who stumbles and starts to get strangled on a treadmill because it has got a slip lead on.

It's all macho rubbish and he even says it's all about power and puffing you chest out and holding your head up. What he should be encourgaing people to do is to feel confident and how to work with their dogs in a way that builds positive relationships that will last and can be built upon.

As i think you can see i do not like the man or his methods.

Fab post Adz! I completely agree... he really does have a bad case of short man syndrome - making himself look big by using vulnerable animals.

Even if his techniques DO work, putting aside how intolerably inhumane some of them are... they work when HE does them. Good dog trainers teach methods anyone can continue with. A smaller, physically weaker person wouldn't be capable of alpha rolling a large dog.

I just can't argue anymore, but Adz I completely agree.

Thanks Lottie i wanted to try and watch one all the way through to give an opinion after reading all the posts and well my previous post tells everyone what i think :hihi:.

Enough now lol

The man's got a gift with dogs, anyone can see that, even the "experts" on here.

Quibbling about use of a choke chain or the odd finger bite is ridiculous, speculative and quite insulting. Best to just overfeed the dog with treats to create this illusion that the dog likes you is it???

Keep the clicker and endless food treats for training parrots to roller skate, I'll take Cesars methods any day of the week.

I dare say i would look like i'd got a gift with dogs if i kicked them,bit them,choked them and pinned them down until they were scared to death of me. The man is an out and out bully and i love it when he gets bitten, which i have seen many times.

The one thing i don't totally disagree on is his knowledge of body language and state of mind. You can take this knowledge and use it without his harsh bullying tactics and still get results

The man's got a gift with dogs, anyone can see that, even the "experts" on here.

Quibbling about use of a choke chain or the odd finger bite is ridiculous, speculative and quite insulting. Best to just overfeed the dog with treats to create this illusion that the dog likes you is it???

Keep the clicker and endless food treats for training parrots to roller skate, I'll take Cesars methods any day of the week.

Ally_Fraser It's not quibbling, it's an opinion, to which people are entitled to. Some people (Myself included) think that the man is a bully.

If you choose to take Casars method then that is fine. However do not place comments on here belittling people who do not.