Dodgy van selling hi-fi equipment - SCAM ALERT

When I was ay uni in Coventry, the scam with the speakers was:

The van had printed despatch notices

Said they were given one pair to many

Showed you an authentic high quality cardboard speakerbox

Box contained wooden shell.

I got stopped before I heard about the scam, I was tempted, you just have to be realistic though, They were sooooo dodgy looking and cagey!

.... and in a rush!

use to do it with carpets.

this is an old scam.

They use to tell them it was exess carpeting from a big job or what ever and silly people fell for it.

Puts me in mind of these so called electrical goods auctions where people bid on boxes of things theyve never seen and if won they later find out its nothing but old tat.

I once went to one years ago and came back with all my money.

you could sense it was a con when you got there.

But i couldn't believe the amount of people bidding lots of money on a box of stuff which was sometimes just stated as electrical goods. or they showed them something and said that item was in the sealed boxes.

when they got outside some of the people had sealed boxes with just packing in them or rubbish.

Then the dealers had drove off. it was too late.

me and my m8 was doing a removal job last year and was pulled over these 2 guys got out of the van and asked us if we were intrested in buying some top quality t.vs and vidieo dvd combis they showed the boxes in the van and asked us to make them a offer it was in the woodhouse area of sheff a couple of nites later it was in the star news papper that 2 had been arrested for the scam the boxes only contained bricks to fool people into thinking the boxes contained t.vs etc needless to say we did not buy any thing was tempted tho these guys had irish accents and somethin told me not to bother so a lukcy escape we had

Originally posted by steevie/d

me and my m8 was doing a removal job last year and was pulled over these 2 guys got out of the van and asked us if we were intrested in buying some top quality t.vs and vidieo dvd combis they showed the boxes in the van and asked us to make them a offer it was in the woodhouse area of sheff a couple of nites later it was in the star news papper that 2 had been arrested for the scam the boxes only contained bricks to fool people into thinking the boxes contained t.vs etc needless to say we did not buy any thing was tempted tho these guys had irish accents and somethin told me not to bother so a lukcy escape we had

Surely you'd check in the box before you buy if you were stupid enough to even consider buying them

This same scam was runnig in Alton Hampshire about 10 years ago. Same thing with speakers and "being given one too many". Claimed theyre worth £1,000 would take £100 etc. The speakers were real and did work they were just really S**t and could have been bought for £10 from richer sounds. Know someone who fell for the scam, theyre not stolen so can't really be prosecuted for theft etc, your just buying really cheap kit that they make out to be worth more.

Remember the scam that was running from that shop at the top of the Moor where you bought a sealed carrierr bag thinking it was a playstation etc and was really nothing but boxes. Heard they got away with that for a few days before being stopped. When a deal sounds too good to be true, it normally is.

J

Originally posted by aNTAcid

When a deal sounds too good to be true, it normally is.

My thoughts exactly

What is the law's view on this, say if someone bought some of this hi-fi equipment would they be prosecuted?

a few years ago my bro in law got conned with the telly thing, he sed it all looked good and dint seem like a rip off but when he got the boxed telly home it had no insides to it :o needless to say we did take the micky for a long time:hihi: then while i was working on a hot dog stall a van pulled up tryin to sell us same sort of stuff i told them about bro in law n they even offered to unsrew back of telly and plug it into our generater to show it worked but i still wunt have had one.

Litha

Archived