Help with this one please - looking for a hill near Burton Street

Does anybody remember a hill, sorry, an incline, somewhere behind Burton St and High House Terrace, called Chimers Hill ? Apologies for the spelling, but you know i aint got a clue how it should be spelt !!

I have street maps going back to 1903, and there's no mention of this on any of them

Does anybody remember a hill, sorry, an incline, somewhere behind Burton St and High House Terrace, called Chimers Hill ? Apologies for the spelling, but you know i aint got a clue how it should be spelt !!

Go straight to this website:

http://www.burtonstreethistory.org.uk/newweb/Templates/Index.dwt

You'll see photos of me atop of Kymie's Hill taken around 1950. The whole place was altered during the 70's. It was actually between Bamforth St. Cuthbert Bank Rd. and High House Rd (which is no longer there).

I suppose the real name was Cuthbert Bank, we always referred to it as t' bank, but many locals called it Kymie's Hill. It was just a bank between the two different levels of field. It was used for sledging in the winter and was a very popular play area for the kids - we also played football on the top field. At the bottom of the bank there stood a square shaped "building" made from sheets of rusting corrugated iron. What was inside I never knew, I never even saw any one use it - one of life's great mysteries.

hi we always used to call it kymoes hill it was at the back of my aunt marthas house on cuthbert bank rd ,me and my two brothers spent many a happy hour playing on there ah!! those were the days........!!

Used to go sledging on the hill also down High House Road.This was in the early to mid 50's.

nearly all my mates lived around there.I lived in Anlaby st

Yes lived just around on Penistone rd High House was from Bamforth to top rd ,we called it Kimmers hill but sheffield slang could mean just about anything very good for digging out clay for our winter warmers,

also told pre 1900 there was a brewery on that site the back wall was possible the Ice cream's yard back wall

Hey Flyer,forgot all about making winterwarmers from the clay.

for all us budding fire bugs,also got rid of 100 box's of the big swan vesta match's left over from family shop in 1950 511 penistone was a lady's hairdresser

this was known as kymies hill and the hill was used by Fred Carnell to keep a small number of pigs in the 50s Fred lived on High House Road which backed onto the hill

1939 I always remember (munne) wilf Unwin sliding on his short handle coal shovel down High House he would hit Bamforth at top speed and hope no trams when he hit Penistone,or maybe mum was hoping he did hit one,I can still hear his song "you get no farce sitting on your ass all be your self in the moonlight"

My old granddad George Bush lived on Cuthbert Bank Road (top of Kymies Hill) His outdoor khasi and Nissan Hut, where he kept his motorcycle combination, were there too.