Compost heep and dogs poo

hi all im getting a dog very soon and as iv got a compost heep would any of you know if it is ok to put it in

compost is mainly horse muck, house oldwast if this is any help and my chickens spend loads of there time in it to so ckicken muck to

Im sure the answer is no, dont put dog poo in your heap because dogs are meat eaters and this destroys the balance or something! Im sure our allotmenteers will give you a definitive answer though.

ty yellowrose had a felling you couldent

hope more plz say no to, just to confirm :)

no don't put any in, or anything that is made up of mainly protein - cheese, eggs, meat scraps as they don't break down into useful stuff for your plants and will attract rats etc..

Dog crap will make ur compost heap stink as well.

I believe that only poo from grass eating animals can be used on a compost heap, so horse is fine but not cats or dogs.

I believe that only poo from grass eating animals can be used on a compost heap, so horse is fine but not cats or dogs.

ty hopman :)

As has been said, protein rich poo from carnivores isn't good on a compost heap. It stinks and lacks fibre, and also the chemical make up is particularly rich in nitrogenous wastes from the protein rich diet.

I'd also say there's an increased possibility of worms and other parasites getting in to teh compost and potentially lurking around, but I'm not sure there.