Starting a Book Club

Yeah, you sure can. We'll fix a date and place this time and let you know.

James

Hi guys

I've decided not to come to tonights meeting, as I haven't read the book or know anything about it - I think I'd feel a little out of place!

I would however love to come to the next one (having read the book!), so I'll check back here regularly to see when the next one is and the book that we'll be reading.

Looking forward to meeting you all!

Ellie

No problem

We couldn't think of a new book, so I said I'd go to the shops on Saturday and see what takes my fancy (not very scientific I'm afraid).

We did think of a date for the next meeting.

But I've forgotten it already.

I do remember that we all liked 'Therese Raquin', although some of us thought that the anti-cat violence was gratuitous.

I read a different translation to everyone else, and I wonder if, instead of starting his new translation from scratch, he didn't just go on holiday and then copy the old one while changing some of the words when he got back? We'll never know.

I'll post the newly chosen title and date on Sunday.

James

And the next title is...

Doris Lessing's 'The Golden Notebook'

"...now considered one of the major works of twentieth-century literature...a landmark novel, that both changed and explained a generation...captured the heady mix of the early sixties when not just novels but political certainties were dissolving...this ambitious novel has no equal..."

from the back of my copy

Catherine can you post the date for the next meeting, cheers

James

Excellent choice. The next meeting is Wednesday 1st October at 7.30pm. We will probably have to meet in the Freedom House again, as I don't think the re-furbishment of the Walkley Cottage will be complete by then.

Catherine

Hi

Are we meeting at Freedom House or Walkley Cottage tomorrow?

I don't think I will have finished the book (still have about 200 pages left to go).

R x

Hi Rachael,

I'm similar. I propose we leave it another week, so Wednesday 8th October at 7.30. It will be the Freedom House as well, because by the look of the Walkley Cottage it will be some time before it re-opens.

Catherine x

I'm finding the book quite hard going.

See you next week.

Next weeks book is American Psycho and the meeting will be in a disused carpark behind the cemetery. :mad::evil:

.........................................................................................................................

Hi there,

The book is "The Book Theif" by Markus Zusak. Next meet 29 October, 7.30 The Walkley Cottage,

R xx