Does anybody remember Wellerman Bros

Back in the late 70's early 80's, I used to work for a civil engineering company called Wellerman Bros on Dunn st. I just wondered if any one out there remembers or worked for them. The MD was Peter Eshelby and later it was took over by his son David Eshelby. The manager was Derek Allen and site foreman was Bob Hockley, crane driver Ted Manion and lorry drivers Tom Conlan and Harold Winterbottom. Foreman fitter was Harold Hallbrook and fitters Ken Furness, Toni De Donno and Richard Hammond. Anyone?

a couple of other workers I remember - Jack Palmer the joiner, Tommy Postgate, Brian Green, Wilf Nortcliff, Peter Ireland, Ken Watson, Stuart Wheeler, Don Kilham, Philip Eintwistle, Arney, Fred Arnald, Mick Dailey - I'll post more names as I remeber them, would be great if anyone recalls any one

ken watson is still around,i think he lives at kimberworth.

Hi bullerboY, Ken lived in kimberworth when I worked with him, always drove a volvo and was making a model submarine. Also had a motorbike that he used to go abroad on. Would love to hear from him. Thanks for that.

Gosh the name of Wellerman Brothers conjures up some memories. As a youngster from Sheffield in the early 1960's I can well remember my grandfather George Crowder being a civil engineer with Wellerman Brothers. He worked away a lot in the South on major projects. He was joined by his son John Crowder, who also worked for Wellermans after qualifying before joining Tarmac as a senior engineer. George lived in Low Rd, overlooking the Rivelin Valley as I recall. Happy Days!

My dad worked for Wellerman Bros his name was Albert Naylor.

Gosh the name of Wellerman Brothers conjures up some memories. As a youngster from Sheffield in the early 1960's I can well remember my grandfather George Crowder being a civil engineer with Wellerman Brothers. He worked away a lot in the South on major projects. He was joined by his son John Crowder, who also worked for Wellermans after qualifying before joining Tarmac as a senior engineer. George lived in Low Rd, overlooking the Rivelin Valley as I recall. Happy Days!

hello I served my time as an apprentice bricklayer at Wellerman Bros. and remember all the guys mentioned. My dad worked as a "ganger" for them and it was he who got me a job with the company to start three days after I had left school in July 1962 George Crowder was contracts manager at Wellermans when I first started work there. The last info I had of Ken Watson was that he was still in Kimberworth and working as a lay preacher? don't know how true this is. These quotes have conjured up many many good memories :)

---------- Post added 23-07-2013 at 16:39 ----------

My dad worked for Wellerman Bros his name was Albert Naylor.

I remember your dad he was a Pitsmoor lad the same as I was :)

vin conroy worked at wellermans where is he now

hello I served my time as an apprentice bricklayer at Wellerman Bros. and remember all the guys mentioned. My dad worked as a "ganger" for them and it was he who got me a job with the company to start three days after I had left school in July 1962 George Crowder was contracts manager at Wellermans when I first started work there. The last info I had of Ken Watson was that he was still in Kimberworth and working as a lay preacher? don't know how true this is. These quotes have conjured up many many good memories :)

---------- Post added 23-07-2013 at 16:39 ----------

I remember your dad he was a Pitsmoor lad the same as I was :)

You must be Bob Jordans son,I worked at Stocksbridge around the 60,s.Do you remember Mick Whitacker also a bricklayer and Scodger, the lorry driver.Also Alf Midgley also a bricklayer.Was a lad called Barry Laker also a foreman .

Edited by maxwell1945
wrong name

You must be Bob Jordans son,I worked at Stocksbridge around the 60,s.Do you remember Mick Whitacker also a bricklayer and Scodger, the lorry driver.Also Alf Midgley also a bricklayer.Was a lad called Barry Laker also a foreman .

Yes I am Bob Jordan's son Alf Midgley I remember with lots of fond memories I was his apprentice got many a clip round the ear from him Gordon Rodgers aka Scodger iives in Crooks I bumped into him a while ago and he looks good the other foreman you mentioned is Barry Lakin not Laker and lives in Birdwell as far as I know. I think Mick Whitacker lives in Crystal Peaks and was Alf Midgley's apprentice before me - I started working as apprentice up at sheephouse wood wire mill but ended up working all over the country during the years I worked for them.

I remember Wellerman Bros, in particular the firm's main yard in Sheffield whose skyline was dominated by an old stiff leg derrick crane. My brother worked there and when I was young he sometimes used to take me with him to work. I remember a few names, like Harold Hallbrook. Peter Eshelby was the MD, and I believe the owner by an old lady of the name Kelly, who was related to James Kelly, one of the early directors from the 1920s and possibly the founder. I think the firm closed down in the mid-eighties.

When I think of Wellerman's yard, it takes me back in time to another world, to an older industrial Sheffield, were there were numerous firms like Wellerman Bros that together with the numerous forges and steelworks gave the city its unique industrial character. At that time there were about three times as many pubs and they were always full at each shift change. Café latte and shopping centres were unheard of.

I never thought that in my life-time, I'd be witness to such a thorough and deliberate process of de-industrialisation. It's very sad., but of course it's just an example of what happened nationwide.

I last saw Ken Watson at a friends funeral a couple of years ago,we were in the Triumph Owners motorbike club in the sixties.I was told by a friend that he had risen to great heights at Wellermans but i dont know for certain.