Thomson Sky digibox keeps reverting to standby

I have a Thomson skybox. When not been used for an hour or so, the unit switches onto standby. (green light goes and out red light comes on).

The unit works fine apart from this and at the moment is not a major problems. I was wondering are there any serviceable parts in these boxes or is a case of just buying another. If I have to buy another, is it only Sky where I can purchase one from?

Its been a recent update by sky.As far as i know all sky boxes now drop to standby not sure of the time scale though.My 2 boxes have been doing this now for a few days and its an arse.

You are able to switch this function off; if you go onto services and select the 'auto standby' function.

Its been a recent update by sky.As far as i know all sky boxes now drop to standby not sure of the time scale though.My 2 boxes have been doing this now for a few days and its an arse.

Many thanks Tis Me, you've saved me a few quid ... I was about to go out and buy a replacement.

You are able to switch this function off; if you go onto services and select the 'auto standby' function.

Brilliant, may give that a try if it becomes a pain!

I thought it only did that overnight?

It might do, its just that every morning when I get up I notice that the red light is on! I take it yours goes onto standby overnight then rooby_roo?

Sky boxes should only go into standby mode automatically between the hours of 11pm and 4am; if they been inactive for 2 hours (for example no buttons have been pressed on the machine or remote).

Sky boxes should only go into standby mode automatically between the hours of 11pm and 4am; if they been inactive for 2 hours (for example no buttons have been pressed on the machine or remote).

It may very well be the case scotsman, I'll check it tonight! I haven't been logging the times it goes into standby so far.

I wonder how many people have noticed this and thought the sky box was on its way out! Just one question .. If my skybox is not plugged into the phone line, how does it receive firmware updates to the box? Do they come from the satellite signal?

They updates come via the satellite signal, and not via your telephone line.

Thanks, its becoming clear now!

I have had one digibox (PACE) for years. It never went into standby. Recently I had another one (Amstrad) installed in another room. It worked fine for a few weeks and then suddenly it started going into standby. I rang Sky. An engineer from one of their sub-contracted companies came and replaced the Amstrad digibox with a PACE one!! The new PACE box is working fine. However, the old PACE box, which had worked fine for years, has now started going into standby. Today, I even saw a message on the TV to the effect "your digibox is about to go into standby mode". And that was during the day, not between 11pm and 4am. I then found this thread and have changed the Auto standby to off. Let us see what happens next.

Also, with the old PACE box, the interactive screens on Sky News (Channel 501) have lost sound. And some channels which I was able to see in the listings on TV Guide, have gone missing. However, both the sound on interactive screens and "missing channels" are ok on the new PACE box!!

HELP!