Record/Electrical shop - Hillsborough - What was it called ?

I recall back in the sixties there was an electrical shop in Hillsborough

that also sold records (In the times when you listened to a record

before you bought it - in a record booth)

Can anyone else remember it ,and its name ? Near where the present

Woolies is.

Chris

Woolworths at 16 below is Bradfield Place then 12/14 M J THOMAS AND CO.television and radio supplier.

When we were kids we used to buy the latest Dinky cars and model aeroplane kits from there.

We couldn't wait to see what the latest toys were in just after the war.

Happy Days!

Thanks Hutch, I can now see the letters above the shop in red.

Spent hours in there listening to Stones,Beatles ,Searchers etc

Cheers Chris

Like PopT I also remember buying Dinky toys from Thomas's. In c. 1958 I saved up half a crown to buy the Dinky version of a sleek Ferrari racing car. I can't remember the model but it was blue and yellow - a superb looking car that might have been driven by Stirling Moss. Apart from model aeroplane kits they also sold "Hornby Dublo" 00-gauge model train sets and all kinds of other expensive toys that we could only window-shop for.

Later, Thomas's sold only radio, TV and audio equipment, plus records as mentioned. My old friend George was Monty Thomas' service engineer for many years and still lives in Middlewood Road, opposite the park.

Montagu J. Thomas died aged 90 in Sheffield in July 2001.

I seem to remember the place .

Was it between Procter place and the bombed site near the bakery?.

Another shop was just past the Hilllsborough Park Cinema on Middlewood Rd

They used to sell electrical and LPs when they first came out.

I remember fondly gazing at a 4 Freshmen and 5 Trombones LP in the window

I seem to remember the place .

Was it between Procter place and the bombed site near the bakery?

Thomas's shop was a bit nearer Hillsborough Corner; it occupied part of the site of the present branch of Specsavers. Woolworths and Superdrug occupy the former bombed site.

Here's a recollection of mine: the narrow alley (Bradfield Place?) that ran down the right-hand side of the bombed site led past the back of the Don Bakery to a door in a wall, through which was the yard of the Old Blue Ball pub. The door was permanently open except for one day of the year - on the door was a notice stating that "..this door will be locked on Good Friday". I think this was to prevent the access from Middlewood Road to the Old Blue Ball becoming a public right of way. If a right of way had been established "by common usage", then they could not have built part of the Arcade on what had been the lower part of the alleyway.

[quote=hillsbro;

Here's a recollection of mine: the narrow alley (Bradfield Place?) that ran down the right-hand side of the bombed site led past the back of the Don Bakery to a door in a wall, through which was the yard of the Old Blue Ball pub. The door was permanently open except for one day of the year - on the door was a notice stating that "..this door will be locked on Good Friday". I think this was to prevent the access from Middlewood Road to the Old Blue Ball becoming a public right of way. If a right of way had been established "by common usage", then they could not have built part of the Arcade on what had been the lower part of the alleyway.

I never knew that.

I remember a second floor hoist was used to unload sacks of flour at the bakery

I never knew that.

I remember a second floor hoist was used to unload sacks of flour at the bakery

I had almost forgotten the hoist but you are quite right; the brown-painted wooden casing of the hoist projected out from the wall at second-floor level. I do remember the milk churns that were always stored in the alley, and the smell of sour milk that pervaded the air as you walked past them on the way to the Old Blue Ball. Many local shops sold the Don Bakery's sliced loaves, in their waxed-paper packaging with the blue and red diamond-shaped logo.

Memories...