Memories of Sheffield

Anybody want to talk about some things I remember. Gangsters restaurant, Stevie Splash, Bebeks Kebab House, The Golden Egg Cafe, The Berni Inn where Orchard Square now is (and the Museum pub), 'Rolf on Saturday' coming to town, Ki-Ki's during acid house, The Wig and Pen circa 1990 (what an atmos!), Lock-ins in the Pump Tavern.... :cool:

I worked at the Golden Egg in the summer of '76. The chef at that time was a Chinese man called Jimmy. Really nice guy. The manager was Turkish can't remeber his name.

I know Stevie Splash! But I know his brother better.

Nomme

I hope Stevie's brother is called 'Sammy Spalsh' or somesuch. I remember Sinatra's - there used to be a downstairs 'pub hours' section and there was a 'wheel of fortune' which SS used to spin every now and again and it would come up with 'doubles for the price of singles' or something. Whatever it landed on was in force till it spun again. The best thing was that you could go to the upstairs area for late drinking, but you had to pay a small amount (like 50p). You were then given about one mouthful of chilli in a plastic cup and a spoon. This meant that SS had sold you a meal and that he could then sell you some further ale. The man was a genius. I rememebr a dodgy tash and a white jacket with the sleeves rolled up. Priceless.

You'll be pleased to know he still has the dodgy tash. :P

Nomme

pump tavern eh

i had my wedding reception there divorced now tho lol

One of my earliest memories was, when as a kid my mum took me and my little brother and sister to the old market. I remember walking down the aisles and seeing everything displayed including on the floor! But the thing I remember the most was that great big black swing that was also a weighing machine - I just loved it - can anyone else remember it?

Wonder if you mean that brass weighing machine just outside the old Rag and Tag Market.

Seem to recall it moving to Endcliffe Park when the market was redeveloped.

Might well have been. Do you remember it too?

I remember the machine, very well. The woman who ran it would "guesstimate" your weight, before you got on and was weighed. If she got it bang-on, you paid her a penny, if she was wrong, you didn't pay.

(scratches head...) can anyone spot what was wrong with that picture...? Yup! you guessed it... of course she was *not* going to get it wrong.... she was the one who did the stuff with the weights, so she could tell you what weight she wanted, and you couldn't argue the toss.

and, sporaboy, I remember the Wig and Pen... My hubby and I, used to work in there in the 80's. I was bar staff/glass collecting, and hub was a "bouncer"

Plain Talker

Sporaboy are you the same person who used to write on the 606 Div1/2 Message Boards?, My OH says he used to look out for his posts very funny

The weighing machine ended up in France according to a Star article some years ago,