Sheffield Forum
Your message here

How much can I earn as a Taxi Driver, working 9am-5pm, mon-fri? (not black cab)

Home > General > General Discussions

Reply To Topic

12-11-2007, 16:00   #1
jamesconner3

Total Posts: 274
Hi,

anyone know how much can I earn as a Taxi Driver, working 9am-5pm, mon-fri? (not black cab)?

thanks
12-11-2007, 17:58   #2
purdyamos
Prickly Goo

Total Posts: 7,741
PM *_ash_* he will answer any questions you have.
_______
KEEP AN OPEN MIND, BUT DON'T LET YOUR BRAIN FALL OUT.
People stand in their own shadow and wonder why it's dark.
12-11-2007, 18:00   #3
jl-heating

Total Posts: 2,380
Send a message via MSN to jl-heating
work evenings and weekends 700 +
_______
Local Rate 0845 22 42 531
Gassafe / NICeic registered / Hetas
24 hr cover
website daily diary
12-11-2007, 18:07   #4
Spruce

Total Posts: 453
Airport runs, up tp 1500 pw
12-11-2007, 18:21   #5
ricky36

Total Posts: 1,039
the hours you state will not earn you enough to live on and the person who states airport runs 1500 a week is obviously in cloud cuckoo land I have been a taxi driver and believe me taxi drivers hate airport runs no money in them at all.during the hours you state you will be lucky somedays to cover your fuel and radio rent beleieve me
12-11-2007, 19:35   #6
Spruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky36 View Post
the hours you state will not earn you enough to live on and the person who states airport runs 1500 a week is obviously in cloud cuckoo land I have been a taxi driver and believe me taxi drivers hate airport runs no money in them at all.during the hours you state you will be lucky somedays to cover your fuel and radio rent beleieve me
I did airport runs, 60 to Manchester, 70 to Liverpool, 130 to London, and made 1500 pw easily, (obviously take fuel out) working 9, sometimes 10 hour days, this was working for myself I add, so when you say `cukoo land` you obviously couldnt of hacked working much longer than 3 hours per day.
12-11-2007, 19:37   #7
jamesconner3

Total Posts: 274
see this is the problem, one source tells me that i can get 1500 pw and then the next source says i can hardly cover my fuel costs,

so this is what i'm trying to clear up and get a more precise idea of the wage
Sponsored Links
12-11-2007, 20:19   #8
Spruce

Mine was through mainly driving at night I`ll add, and a 7-seater.
12-11-2007, 20:48   #9
Grandad.Malky

Total Posts: 18,846
Is there that big a demand for Airport runs at this time of year?
_______
Q: What is conservatism? A: Conservatism is the domination of society by an aristocracy
12-11-2007, 21:02   #10
Suave

Total Posts: 180
A mate of mine is a taxi driver and he is really struggling at the moment. With all the overheads and not that much business it very difficult to make much money.

Anyway best advice is try it out by renting a taxi for a few weeks. only then by one if you know you can hack it.
12-11-2007, 21:49   #11
Mentalmomma

Total Posts: 1,564
Just be wary of some of the lesser very small companies, as some seriously dodgy, underhanded Managers/owners.......Don't care who they dump on, scam etc.....
_______
There are those who think me Weird, Me i say 'I'd rather be Weird than Boring!'
12-11-2007, 21:56   #12
Dozey

Total Posts: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesconner3 View Post
Hi,

anyone know how much can I earn as a Taxi Driver, working 9am-5pm, mon-fri? (not black cab)?

thanks
Not enough to live on,you will be looking at working at least 12 hours a day.
Ask yourself this question,how many rich taxi drivers do you know.
Take note of what ricky36 says, it's a fact.
_______
When a well packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations,the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.

Dresden James.

Last edited by Dozey; 12-11-2007 at 22:03.
12-11-2007, 22:21   #13
heavenlyarts

Total Posts: 2,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spruce View Post
I did airport runs, 60 to Manchester, 70 to Liverpool, 130 to London, and made 1500 pw easily, (obviously take fuel out) working 9, sometimes 10 hour days, this was working for myself I add, so when you say `cukoo land` you obviously couldnt of hacked working much longer than 3 hours per day.
Sorry, but these figures do not add up.

Heathrow airport, there and back, minimum time 6hours probably nearer 8.
This gives an hourly rate of between 15 and 20

Manchester airport minimum, there and back 2 hours, can be 4
rate between 15.00 and 30.00

Liverpool, minimum 3 hours probably nearer 5
rate between 14.00 and 23 per hours

If we take an optomistic average of 20 per hour you would ned to work a 75 hour week to gross 1500

covering around 3,500 miles per week, with a running cost of arund 15p per mile, the costs would be around 500 per week.

so working 75 hour week for a gross profit of 1000 at a rate of 13 per hour.

or 10 per hour after tax.

THat's assuming 75 hours of work !!!!
12-11-2007, 22:34   #14
Spruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenlyarts View Post
Sorry, but these figures do not add up.

Heathrow airport, there and back, minimum time 6hours probably nearer 8.
This gives an hourly rate of between 15 and 20

Manchester airport minimum, there and back 2 hours, can be 4
rate between 15.00 and 30.00

Liverpool, minimum 3 hours probably nearer 5
rate between 14.00 and 23 per hours

If we take an optomistic average of 20 per hour you would ned to work a 75 hour week to gross 1500

covering around 3,500 miles per week, with a running cost of arund 15p per mile, the costs would be around 500 per week.

so working 75 hour week for a gross profit of 1000 at a rate of 13 per hour.

or 10 per hour after tax.

THat's assuming 75 hours of work !!!!
Whats tax?. You can include East midlands, Glasgow, Newcastle in there too. Im not giving you rates I charged because you seem to be dissecting and splattering my earnings on a open forum. Your grossly wide of the mark to boot an all.
12-11-2007, 22:39   #15
redrobbo
Forum Technophobe

Total Posts: 7,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesconner3 View Post
Hi,

thanks
If not black cab, then you are referring to being a licensed private vehicle driver and you need to take into account a number of other considerations.

You will need to be licensed by the city council - and you have to pay for the application to be licensed, which includes a medical test, a criminal history check, a driving and knowledge test, a check with Swansea on your driving license history, and a maths and english test (the latter does not entail a fee). A license lasts for 18 months (or shorter in certain circumstances). You have to make a full disclosure of any criminal record, which includes full disclosure of all road traffic offences - which for the purposes of obtaining a license includes all 'spent' convictions. Certain criminal convictions and/or road traffic violations (e.g., 9 points on your license, previous disqualification, etc.) will require a personal appearance before the Licensing Board to determine if you are "a fit and proper person". Licenses last for a maximum of 18 months and can be renewed.

Your vehicle will need an MOT (if required) and will have to undergo a compulsory council vehicle roadworthy test - which is repeated at annual intervals.

You will also need to factor in costs, including operator's costs or advertising. All that has to happen before you even buy a litre of petrol and get your first fare.
12-11-2007, 23:41   #16
Suave

Total Posts: 180
The average radio rent for a week is 80 so you are -80 before you even start your working week
12-11-2007, 23:43   #17
heavenlyarts

Total Posts: 2,371
Quote:
Whats tax?. You can include East midlands, Glasgow, Newcastle in there too. Im not giving you rates I charged because you seem to be dissecting and splattering my earnings on a open forum. Your grossly wide of the mark to boot an all.
Here's a contradiction, if I'm wide of the mark why worry !!!

I'm pretty good at maths, been in business for years !! I reckon I'm pretty optimistic, I've missed out loads of overheads.
13-11-2007, 00:37   #18
tab1

Total Posts: 6,638
This guy "Spruce" has got be a taxi driver or at the very least he ought to be one, they just love to tell tall stories.
Come to think of it there was a bloke who used to run an airport service a couple of years ago, and it was in the papers that all through that summer he took payments for return journeys on the way out but never showed up for the return trip. It turned out later that the address he gave to yellow pages was false, so the advert for number was also free for that year and the following year he had a different number under a different false address. Any connections?
You simply don't make silly money working honestly in any trade, and 1500 a week is silly money IMO.

Last edited by tab1; 13-11-2007 at 00:45.
13-11-2007, 10:29   #19
ricky36

Total Posts: 1,039
this thread asked how much could you expect to earn as taxi driver for certain hours of the day I anaswered a honest and truthful answer. not enough to make living, I stand by that and I will add a little more in response to the claim someone earns 1500 a week quite easy which is complete rubbish.
A taxi driver working seven nights a week cannot expect to to earn that much I will hazard a guess that not one taxi driver clears more than 500 a week regularly it is nigh on impossible never mind 1500.
I wont go into all the details on the exact figures but I have just worked out very quickly the figure required it costs a per day just to put your taxi on the road for one shift assuming that you have paid or will pay all your dues and demands that you are supposed to pay. Road tax, insurance. car payments, radio rent. depreciation, income tax. medical fees,licence fees.fuel cost,repairs,testing fees for car.printing costs for signs etc. add all this lot together and I reached a figure of approx 90 a day, I consider this to be very conservative and not over the top.
So this is the amount you have to earn each day before you make a penny. Take into account a taxi only has approx three hours per night when work follows on from job to job. the rest of the time you just plod on or sit in some car park waiting for a fare.

most ppl on here are sensible enough to work out that the 1500 is complete rubbish and cannot be achieved.

I spent twenty years driving taxis for a living and never ever achieved anything close to this figure. so where the figure of 1500 come from is beyond me.
A realistic figure for the average taxi driver is 10 a hour on a good day ie Thur Fri Sat
and the rest of the week a lot less.
13-11-2007, 10:45   #20
fabulous_girl

Total Posts: 1,939
Quote:
Airport runs, up tp 1500 pw
wow, my dad is a private hire driver. i better ask him for a sub. i have a feeling he's not on this much though!
Reply To Topic