Open University Law Degree

ey up

I'm just about to start the second year of an OU degree in computing. Very impressed so far with the way the courses are run, the support on offer, and the flexibility (considering most students are holding down full time jobs as well).

Let me know if you want to know something specific.

Ok, after a lot of research i'm thinking of doing a law degree with the OU, has anybody else done this, or have any opinions on law degrees or OU degrees in general.

any advice greatly appreciated.:help:

I did a course with the open uni - which was great and I passed but it was hard work (bound to be). I want to go on to do one of their degrees eventually, when the kids are all at school maybe.

If its the way you want to get a degree then its ok but it is really time consuming as it takes a lot longer to get a degree this way than if you went to university, but if you have the time then go for it:)

anyone know what type of fees are involved?

I didnt have to pay as I dont work even though my partner does - I think it goes on your earnings - if you dont have to pay you also get a £250 grant to pay for your books even if they come with the course - i think grants are also available to buy pc's now.

I am just coming to the end of my fourth year of an OU degree. I can't recommend it highly enough. The standard of teaching materials is very high, the tutors I have had have all been excellent, and tutorials have been well worth attending.

A few tips I have picked up over the years I have been studying -

- make the effort to get to tutorials, you'll get a lot out of them

- if you have any probs or concerns tell your tutor straight away,

- be a bit strict with yourself (as most of your studying is done at home, it's all too easy to think 'I'll just put the TV on, I'll just do a bit of housework . . )

- try and find someone at tutorials that you get on well with and keep in touch with them. It helps to have a friend on the same course to discuss things with.

Good luck!

As i work full time, i would be unable to go to a "normal" university.

I can't afford to give up my job to go and so this is the only way to do it.

I am just concerned that a law degree is bound to be difficult at the best of times and probably even more so this way.

Sheffield Hallam University offer the LLB as a part time course in the evenings. I combined mine with a full time job. The course lasts 4.5 years as oppose to the usual 3 years if taken full time.