"Blinded" by speed camera

My 30 years with an unblemished driving record seems to have come to an end!

Bit annoyed because as long as I've been driving, the A6 at Darley Dale has been a 40mph stretch with plenty of 40mph signs painted on the road, but I've not been along here for a while and it was lowered to 30mph about 18 months ago. Mainly annoyed with myself of course, because I simply failed to notice the 30mph sign. Anyway, my own negligence is not the point.

It was about 1:00am last night. I don't think I saw another car between Matlock and Chatsworth. As I saw the cameras ahead I glanced at my speedo as usual, which read 35mph, stupidly thinking that was okay I looked back to the road when the camera on the LH side flashed.

When I say flashed, I mean really flashed. My irises were fully open in the darkness, and it was dazzling and quite disorientating for a moment. It was a single white flash that dazzled both myself and my wife.

Rather strange to think that a safety camera would flash oncoming traffic like this?

:huh:

My 30 years with an unblemished driving record seems to have come to an end!

Bit annoyed because as long as I've been driving, the A6 at Darley Dale has been a 40mph stretch with plenty of 40mph signs painted on the road, but I've not been along here for a while and it was lowered to 30mph about 18 months ago. Mainly annoyed with myself of course, because I simply failed to notice the 30mph sign. Anyway, my own negligence is not the point.

It was about 1:00am last night. I don't think I saw another car between Matlock and Chatsworth. As I saw the cameras ahead I glanced at my speedo as usual, which read 35mph, stupidly thinking that was okay I looked back to the road when the camera on the LH side flashed.

When I say flashed, I mean really flashed. My irises were fully open in the darkness, and it was dazzling and quite disorientating for a moment. It was a single white flash that dazzled both myself and my wife.

Rather strange to think that a safety camera would flash oncoming traffic like this?

:huh:

They take a picture of the driver so they can prove who was driving but I would imagine it could have been a bit distracting. At 35 MPH you might be lucky; a flash doesn't always result in a ticket.

They take a picture of the driver so they can prove who was driving but I would imagine it could have been a bit distracting. At 35 MPH you might be lucky; a flash doesn't always result in a ticket.

It's probably 50/50 because I know that our speedo, like most, overstate the speed by 2 to 4 mph. I'm not too bothered about me though, just puzzled how they think that dazzling speeding drivers is a sensible safety measure.