Faulty Laptop from Argos advice please

KS2M

My Uncle bought a Laptop from Argos 2 weeks ago and the screen is flickering on it so i presume it is faulty will he be able to swap it for a straight replacement!

It doesn't flicker constantly but does it now and again and he doesn't want to risk the screen failing in future.

I know it is exempt from the 30 day guarantee but on their site it says

# If you bring it back to us within 30 days with your proof of purchase*, we'll give you a

replacement or a refund.

# If you've had the product for up to 1 year, we'll repair the product or, if that's not possible, give you a replacement or, if that's not possible, a refund.

So he should be able to swap it for another one shouldn't he? He's checked the stock and there are some available in-store.

Do they test the laptop when returning it? Reason i say that is because as i said above the screen might be alright for a few hours but then starts flickering a lot it's on/off, If they test it and it doesn't flicker they may not replace it.

I've bought a laptop from there before and mine was fine.

Thankyou for your reply Ghozer so he will get a straight swap replacement rather than it being sent away for repair?

I bought a laptop last Friday but mine was bought from elsewhere., I said to him it might be better to get one from somewhere else but he wouldn't listen.

Edited by KS2M

I do not think that he can be fobbed after buying it only 2 weeks, it seems that from the sales of goods act he is entitled to a refund but he would be happy to just do a straight swap for another one.

*****UPDATE*****

My uncle went to Argos today and they had a quick look at it but as the screen wasn't flickering at the time they refused to exchange it despite having 4 in stock and also said they wouldn't do anything about it despite it being only 2 weeks old, He mentioned the Sales Of Goods Act but was still fobbed off, where does he stand on this? Is there anything he can do to get a replacement?

Edited by KS2M

My advice would be to take the laptop back to Argos along with a letter to the manager. In the letter state that you are formally rejecting the goods under the terms of the sale of goods act 1979 for being - faulty, not fit for purpose and not of satisfactory quality. State that you are returning the goods within 2 weeks a time period you believe to be a reasonable time to entitle you to your money back.

When at the store ask to see the manager and hand him/her the laptop and letter. He/she will probably want to see the fault. As you say the fault is intermittent so be prepared to wait for the fault to show its self.

If the manager fobs you off, make sure you still deliver the letter and that you get in writing the reason they will not except the goods back.

Insist the laptop is faulty and that because you have returned it within 6 months it is up to them to prove the fault is not there.

Hopefully Argos will see sense and at least offer a replacement. The very worse case scenario is that they offer a repair - if they do you should get that offer in writing and reject it - hold out for a refund or replacement.

Edited by OM@More

My advice would be to take the laptop back to Argos along with a letter to the manager. In the letter state that you are formally rejecting the goods under the terms of the sale of goods act 1979 for being - faulty, not fit for purpose and not of satisfactory quality. State that you are returning the goods within 2 weeks/4 days (which is it?) a time period you believe to be a reasonable time to entitle you to your money back.

When at the store ask to see the manager and hand him/her the laptop and letter. He/she will probably want to see the fault. As you say the fault is intermittent so be prepared to wait for the fault to show its self.

If the manager fobs you off, make sure you still deliver the letter and that you get in writing the reason they will not except the goods back.

Insist the laptop is faulty and that because you have returned it within 6 months it is up to them to prove the fault is not there.

Hopefully Argos will see sense and at least offer a replacement. The very worse case scenario is that they offer a repair - if they do you should get that offer in writing and reject it - hold out for a refund or replacement.

Thank you very much for your reply OM@More, the laptop is 2 weeks old and he has said it started playing up 2 days ago.

It is a Fujitsu laptop and he just wanted to do an exchange.

He would reject a repair and i do not blame him as it started playing up when it was less than 2 weeks old.

He said to me after we left Argos that he was considering doing a letter and sending it today via recorded delivery to Argos's Head Office to say that he wants a replacement and the store he took it to today rejected his request for a replacement.

Edited by KS2M

Go back to the store with a letter - be sure to use the correct terminology I've suggested. The manager needs to know you know what you are talking about. It would be better to sort it out at store level.

Go to the head office as a last resort - it may be one of many problems and disappear into a black hole.

My uncle does not like confrontations so he doesnt want to keep going back to the store He is sending 2 letters today by recorded delivery to the store manager and also a copy to head office demanding a like for like replacement.

He said he will mention Trading Standards to them and also that he will seek legal advice if a like for like replacement is not given.

Maybe that will make them pull their fingers out and sort the matter out.