View Full Version : What are the side effects of withdrawing from Citalopram?

squidge00
16-11-2007, 08:50
After a year of takinga 20mg dose of Citalopram i feel stable and well enough to start coming off it.

However, as is typical of my GP, i have received no guidance about any side effects i might experience and am therefore, rather clueless about what to expect. I have had a search on the internet but can't seem to find much.

I have reduced my dose to 20mg every other day for 10 days now. In the first few days i experienced anxiety but was able to rise above it because i have now developed effective coping mechanisms. However, more worrying is the sickness and dizziness i had during a hypnotherapy session. I have had vivid dreams but am not inclined to complain or be worried about those!

Has anyone any advice please?

thetawaves
16-11-2007, 10:33
PM me if you want some advice x

JoeP
16-11-2007, 10:52
Citalopram withdrawal symptoms include dizziness, tingling sensations, tiredness, vivid dreams, and irritability or poor mood. Others reported are occasional mania, and 'freeze-frames' where people report that they get a vivid sensation of awareness, like a flash-bulb going off in their heads, for a few seconds.

The general technique is to reduce the dosage gradually, then hold at the reduced dose until the side effects reduce.

Can you get your GP to prescribe you 10mg tablets? That way you'll have a little more control over reducing the effects. You could then do 20 / 10 / 20 / 10 for a few weeks, then 20 /10 /10 / 20 / 10 / 10 , etc.

Some side effects of withdrawal - especially mood swings - are more pronounced when you take the full dose one day and nothing the following day, so be prepared for that.

sophiec1979
16-11-2007, 10:53
im in the process of reducing my dosage from ciprolex which i think is the same drug under a different name.

ive been on 10mg for 5 months and have been taking 5mg for the last month, although after the weekend im going to start taking 5mg every other day.

i know what you mean about the anxiety aspect- but mines been slightly different. ive been getting a bit miserable over the last few weeks and i dont know if its psychosomatic of knowing im coming off the drugs or if its actually because i do still need the pep.

things at home have been particularly hard the last couple of weeks so i dont know if its taking its toll that way. i feel like i ought to keep trying to reduce the dosage....but then because things are getting hard again i dotn know if i should carry on with the tablets ....but then i dont want to end up keeping taking them for years and never coming off them....and then i get myself all in a pickle!!!!

x

sophiec1979
16-11-2007, 10:55
Citalopram withdrawal symptoms include dizziness, tingling sensations, tiredness, vivid dreams, and irritability or poor mood.

that explains so much!!!!

last couple of weeks ive been having horrible wierd dreams and this week ive not been able to keep my eyes open!

cheers joe :)

x

JoeP
16-11-2007, 11:14
Years ago when I came off Prozac I had similar stuff for a week or two - I was only taking it for 3 months, and the dose was pretty low.

It's just a case of taking these things slowly and getting back to your quack if you start having major problems.

squidge00
16-11-2007, 11:25

last couple of weeks ive been having horrible wierd dreams and this week ive not been able to keep my eyes open!

x

My dreams are crazy at the moment! But even if they are not the nicest of dreams, i find them quite entertaining.

squidge00
16-11-2007, 11:27
Citalopram withdrawal symptoms include dizziness, tingling sensations, tiredness, vivid dreams, and irritability or poor mood. Others reported are occasional mania, and 'freeze-frames' where people report that they get a vivid sensation of awareness, like a flash-bulb going off in their heads, for a few seconds.

The general technique is to reduce the dosage gradually, then hold at the reduced dose until the side effects reduce.

Can you get your GP to prescribe you 10mg tablets? That way you'll have a little more control over reducing the effects. You could then do 20 / 10 / 20 / 10 for a few weeks, then 20 /10 /10 / 20 / 10 / 10 , etc.

Some side effects of withdrawal - especially mood swings - are more pronounced when you take the full dose one day and nothing the following day, so be prepared for that.

I have experienced slight mood swings especially as i am taking tablets on alternating days. I can really feel my mood lift when i take a tablet, and then deflate a little the day i don't have one. However, compared to how i felt previous to taking antidepressants, this is an absolute doddle. It would be nice to have some more guidance however but the doctor makes me feel that he/she doesn't have time for questions and that i should just get on with it grrrrrrr!

squidge00
16-11-2007, 11:29
things at home have been particularly hard the last couple of weeks so i dont know if its taking its toll that way. i feel like i ought to keep trying to reduce the dosage....but then because things are getting hard again i dotn know if i should carry on with the tablets ....but then i dont want to end up keeping taking them for years and never coming off them....and then i get myself all in a pickle!!!!

x
SOPHIE - (can't figure out how to do this quote thing!)
Do you find it easier to cope with difficulties compared to previously?
I found that antidepressants combined with hypnotherapy has helped to put in place some coping mechanisms which allow me to handle difficult situations. Beforehand, these were none existance and therefore, a major trigger to my depression. Therefore, i wonder if you are ready to come off the tablets if you are finding things more difficult to handle than other 'normal' people would?

Ginger_Kitty
16-11-2007, 11:31
I've been on and off various antiDs over the last couple of decades... the main thing that i found for coming off them was to come off soooooo slowly, much slower than any doc has suggested (lower dose for a week at a time then lower again!) I tend to reduce the dose minimally for about a month, then reduce again after another month if i feel fine. If I don't feel fine i'll stay on the dose i'm on til I'm happy with going down again. It CAN take up to a year, but that way you have less side effects and feel less depressed as you are going :)

squidge00
16-11-2007, 11:36
Thanks em - that is really helpful!
I have been advised to take 20mg on alternate days but feel that it would have been much more sensible to take 10mg everyday to spread it out. I am due for a review in a month when i expect the doctor will want to decrease the dose again, but going off the advice on here, i might challenge that suggestion.

sophiec1979
16-11-2007, 11:40
Do you find it easier to cope with difficulties compared to previously?
I found that antidepressants combined with hypnotherapy has helped to put in place some coping mechanisms which allow me to handle difficult situations. Beforehand, these were none existance and therefore, a major trigger to my depression. Therefore, i wonder if you are ready to come off the tablets if you are finding things more difficult to handle than other 'normal' people would?

i think my coping mechanisms had always been quite strong, the problem was that i had never taken the time, or been given the time to work out what was really at the bottom of my depression and why i was so reliant on the coping mechanisms id found for myself over the years.

the drugs really, really, really, helped to allow me to think outside of my conditioned negative thinking and become more emotionally balanced. things which i hope have always been there but forced down by a constant belief from my elf that the way i was thinking and feeling was 'normal'.

as for the stuff at home, thats nothing to do with the reasons for why i was depressed before....just that my cellar is full of sewage for the second time since april and i cant seem to get anybody to pull their finger out and bloody do something about it!!!!!

i reckon anybody would be allowed to be upset about this one ;):help:

x

Ginger_Kitty
16-11-2007, 11:42
Thanks em - that is really helpful!
I have been advised to take 20mg on alternate days but feel that it would have been much more sensible to take 10mg everyday to spread it out. I am due for a review in a month when i expect the doctor will want to decrease the dose again, but going off the advice on here, i might challenge that suggestion.

The max dose i took of citalopram was 20mg every other day, but as i'm pregnant thats about all i could manage to take (it made me sick :(). It does come in 10mg tabs too so it might be worth Joes suggestion of 20mg one day then 10mg the next if you feel that the 20mg every other day isn't working. All my docs so far have been supportive of coming off the drugs slowly; I tell them I need to spread it out a bit longer and they are happy to prescribe the drugs for a bit longer.
It really should be up to you, not your doc to reduce your dose when you are ready for it.
I hope it all goes well :)

sophiec1979
16-11-2007, 11:43
I am due for a review in a month when i expect the doctor will want to decrease the dose again, but going off the advice on here, i might challenge that suggestion.

the decrease that im following was the dosage that my gp recommended to me.

as em3978 said, he also said the best way was to come of them as gradually as possible to minimise the withdrawal etc.

its seems wierd getting a withdrawal from something that i didnt even notice the initial effect of though. :rolleyes:

x

JoeP
16-11-2007, 11:51
I have experienced slight mood swings especially as i am taking tablets on alternating days. I can really feel my mood lift when i take a tablet, and then deflate a little the day i don't have one. However, compared to how i felt previous to taking antidepressants, this is an absolute doddle. It would be nice to have some more guidance however but the doctor makes me feel that he/she doesn't have time for questions and that i should just get on with it grrrrrrr!

It's all due to the 'half life' of the drugs. Citalopram's half life is about 30 to 36 hours - that's the time it takes for half of the dose of citalopram to be broken down in to it's metabolites by the body.

Shorter half life drugs clear your system more quickly when you stop them, which is an advantage and disadvantage - the disadvantage is that stopping suddenly will cause a very rapid removal of remaining drugs from your system, exacerbating any withdrawal effects.

Squidge00, having just taken a brief look at the manufacturer's spec. sheets, I'm not sure if they make 10mg tablets. The standard dose is 20mg, and I couldn't see a smaller single dose listed by them. Which may explain why the suggestion of 20 / 0 / 20 was given.

EDIT - Em's mentioned they do 10mg tablets - I've obviously missed 'em! :)

Just out of curiosity, what time of day do you take the tablet?

squidge00
16-11-2007, 12:12
Just out of curiosity, what time of day do you take the tablet?

I always take my tablet in the morning because when i first started taking them, i found that if i took them later on, i would have the craziest dreams and have broken sleep.

JoeP
16-11-2007, 12:17
Good, good.

That's what I was going to warn you about. :)

sezemeseeds
16-11-2007, 13:01

x

OH MY GOD, i ran out of tablets, forgot to order them before running out. took me a week to sort that out. so by time got tablets it was 2 weeks. was feeling so sick and dizzy and the dreams, oh my lord, how bizarre they were. thought I was going mad. never had such bizarre erractic dreams in my life. glad Im not going mad. back on tabs for now but also wanting to come off in next 6 months. have been on a year and have been great help to me.

squidge00
16-11-2007, 14:02
Its really nice to know i am not the only one!

sophiec1979
16-11-2007, 14:08
same here.

best of luck with things, i know i shall be keeping a watch on this thread for any other tip/experiences other have had.

:thumbsup:

x

sealife
15-09-2009, 22:29
After a year of takinga 20mg dose of Citalopram i feel stable and well enough to start coming off it.

However, as is typical of my GP, i have received no guidance about any side effects i might experience and am therefore, rather clueless about what to expect. I have had a search on the internet but can't seem to find much.

I have reduced my dose to 20mg every other day for 10 days now. In the first few days i experienced anxiety but was able to rise above it because i have now developed effective coping mechanisms. However, more worrying is the sickness and dizziness i had during a hypnotherapy session. I have had vivid dreams but am not inclined to complain or be worried about those!

i have been trying to reduce my intake of citalopram from 40mg down to 30mg which i have managed but tried to lower to 20 or 25. have had to up the dose to 30mg as did it too quickly. had very bad dreams, burst out crying at work yesturday, lack of energy, lack appetite, slower speach, itchy rashes, feeling very insecure and out of sorts. i have just registered so this is my first post. sealife x

Alcoblog
16-09-2009, 08:11
I've been on 40 mg for 3 years . Last week I asked my GP to take me off them. He's a very understanding doctor and told me it would be harmful to come off them straight away. Now down to 20mg - it's certainly affected my sleep pattern but am prepared to put up with it. Other side effects are dizziness and wanting to stay in bed all day. I realise this is just a glitch

vizsla
16-09-2009, 20:50
My doctor advised lowering the dose gradually, a few weeks at a time, I continually felt rough so I just stopped. Felt strange for about 3 weeks but no more or less than when I did it slowly. But thats me.

Lexi
17-09-2009, 03:49
Unfortuantly my doctor really messed up and told me to come off of it right away, I went from 20g a day to nothing and I suffered really badly. I still suffer from big health problems and I'm left with severe anxiety attacks and have had to be monitored for months by the hospital and I'm collapsing randomly and they think it's somehow affected my brain or my heart. I'm left with constant dizziness daily too. I had horrible nightmares when I first came off them too, I always had them about ppl in my family being murdered and finding their bodies and other equally nasty things.

My only advice will be don't just stop taking them no matter what the doctors say, You need to be weaned off of these and very slowly at that.

Mertsy1
14-04-2010, 18:07
Ok, not sure how this works but here goes...
I have found it soooo helpful reading these comments. I have been on Citalopram 20mg for about 4 years and have been trying to reduce them over a 4 month period. I too have done the 20mg one day and 10mg the next and have been taking 10mg daily for about 4 weeks now. I am really struggling....bad dreams, headaches, a degree of tearfulness and anxiety. I am at the point of feeling useless and as though i should just up it again to 20mg as i've had no problems with anxiety or low mood for 3 years now and am finding the repeat symptoms really hard to cope with. I want to persevere and do have coping mechanisms in place but i wasn't prepared for these symptoms upon reducing the drug. Any advice really welcome!

medicatedmum
23-04-2010, 12:58
Hi Mertsy. Think we are a bit behind the game as the last post before yours was some time last year.
Anyway. Remember you have a choice. You can go back up to 20 and try to reduce again later...maybe this isn't the right time to come off them.
Another option you could consider is switching over to St John's Wort. This is what I did. I was on 40mg for 2 years, came down to 30 last Autumn which was fine, then struggled like hell with the shift from 30 down to 20 and seriously considered upping my dose. Instead, I took the bull by the horns and decided I am sick of taking SSRIs and want to wean myself off. I stopped taking them and moved over to SJW. If you decide to do that you will need to read up on serotonin syndrome and serotonin withdrawal, but I personally am glad I made the switch. Haven't told my doctor yet though...
Whatever you decide, just be aware that crying and feeling rubbish are symptoms of serotonin withdrawal and doesn't automatically mean you are back on the slippery slope.
Good luck!

medicatedmummy at blogspot.com

NicD
19-05-2011, 15:10
Delighted to find this forum! Had a look at some others that google threw out but they seemed a bit 'nutty' This one seems to have factual and 'normal' replies! ;0) I've been weaning myself off Citalopram for about a month now. Feel reassured to read that my symptoms are being experienced by others. Having the head zaps, which to be honest are not unpleasant, just a bit strange. Lay in bed last night and watched 3 movies, one after the other which is unusual for me, I usually fall asleep around 10pm. Felt a bit 'wired' last night. Having funky dreams which are entertaining to say the least. Luckily I don't work every day so although I'm finding that I'm suddenly exhausted at random times of the day Im trying to 'go with it' and snooze when I can.
The biggest worry I have is that I woke up this morning feeling irritable and down, I started to worry thinking perhaps Im not ready to come off tabs. My instinct is just to take another to ease this symptom but Im trying to think positive and hope that it's just normal that I'll feel this way for a while, hopefully it won't last too long and I'll be Mrs Nice-Nature instead of grumpy. Time will tell....

Alcoblog
19-05-2011, 16:26
When I came off Citalopram I felt a bit low too. However, nowhere as low as I'd been without it!
I realised that I was just getting back to 'normal' ... you can get pretty high on Citalopram and it takes a while to re-adjust (in my experience). I guess you were taking it for depression (like me) and I bet you don't feel depressed now!
Too much to talk about on here ... feel welcome to PM me if you want a chat. :)

Aries22
19-05-2011, 16:43
I have been on 40 mgs for over twenty years. If they make you feel better, why do you want to stop taking them.

Bulgarian
19-05-2011, 16:53
I can vouch for the weird dreams and grumpyness, they dis wear-off pretty quickly though.

Bassman62
19-05-2011, 16:59
You're lucky in the late 70s I was prescribed first Nitrazepam and then Diazepam (Valium) to help me relax and sleep as spondylosis of the neck was causing me sleep problems.
I took these prescribed drugs for roughly 5 years, when I stopped using them I had a very rough time as in the very early 80s the medical and drug proffesion were in denial regarding any withdrawal (not withdraweral:hihi:) problems associated with these drugs.
With the help of my GP I came through it.

TerryRGirl
19-05-2011, 17:59
I regret taking these from the start, I got moved from another to these ones and I kept passing out randomly, the doctors told me to stay off of them, not even to withdraw from them slowly, just completely stop them and I spend the next year and a half in and out of hospital and I still suffer from it now, don't rush off of them whatever you do!

I've had numerous ECG's, heart monitors and allsorts due to these pills and they've left me with a condition that affects me years after all because of the stupid advice to just stop taking them!

NicD
21-05-2011, 14:06
Goodness me! That's not good news! I'm hoping it doesn't last too long. Had a nuclear meltdown last night, and woke at 5am totally 'wired' twitchyvarms and legs, mind racing with horrible dreams and thoughts. Desperately wanted to go back on them. Had a cuppa and a blether with my partner ( hard to explain to him how it feels if you've never experienced it yourself) and was much better after an hour or so. Still having wee zaps all day but sticking with it.
I agree with the previous post about them doing good and staying on them but Id like to try for a baby and although they're supposedly safe to take during pregnancy Im not prepared to put those chemicals into my babys body for fear of it being born with the dependency of them, and knowing how I feel now as Im coming off them Im not prepared to put it through the withdrawal.
Nice to hear other peoples comments! ;0)

mikeleeds
24-12-2011, 00:48
OK i tell you what the side effects are as im in the middle of it.... I took 10mg for 39 days i had to stop to to an on going reflux issue which was made worse by these - but head feels better - the issue is mad side effects - come off slowly i could not - spaced out , drunk , brain zaps often...i mean out of bloody body issues...mad - not scary cause im aware they will get better over next 2 or so weeks. the feeling of coming off a round a bout been above your body - sounds mad ,,,,well it is....good luck to you all - remember if you come off them - your ready to be yourself again....

Donkey lover
24-12-2011, 04:38
I was on 20mg for ages then dropped down to 10mg for a couple of months. Went on holiday for 2 weeks and forgot to take em with me! After the initial panic I thought 'right, let's just see how it goes'

Luckily, no adverse effects and that was me back to "normal"

mikeleeds
04-01-2012, 10:14
Id like some pro advice - not doctors but people who are on this stuff.

I was taking 10mg for 40 days - i then got complications against my other meds for reflux - so opted silly me but i was in pain to stop - 12 days later chest was good but zapping was mad - too mad - so i started to cut the 10mg in half and take every 2nd day - all seemed fine for a week - but then for no reason i started feeling weired pain in my arm - chest twinges and felt owe like i was gona pass out - in your view could this be because iv just over a week ago stated re taking....prusume its not down to 5mg dose every 2 days.... if you have sim experience or feel you maybe able to help please drop me a line

anxiety
16-01-2012, 13:01
Hello,

Just to add my experience with Citalopram. I was having severe panic attacks and depression 3 years ago in October. I was so against going on medication and resisted at first and then succumbed due to not being able to cope any more.

As I said I had been on the 20mg Citalopram for 3 years, I attempted to come off them before but noticed I was becoming very snappy and short tempered to decided I wasn't ready.

I think one of the points to make is to not put too much pressure on yourself, the way I see it some people attach a stigma to taking anit-depressants however if you were a diabetic you wouldn't think twice about taking insulin, it is a chemical inbalance and nothing to do with your strength of character.

10mg tablets are available however I did not want to see the doctor to reduce my dosage as I wanted to have the option to increase / decrease my dosage depending on how I felt. I decided to break my 20mg tablets in half and have half a tablet a day (10mg equivalent). I did this for about 2 - 3 months and then realised I had been forgetting to take them everyday so came off them completely.

I have been off them for about 3 months now and did go through a stage of feeling severely dizzy but persevered and now the dizziness seems to have gone.

I still suffer from anxiety, however it is not any worse than when I was on the medication so I have decided to continue. When I started getting panic attacks I went to see a councellor which did not help me in the slightest so decided to take things into my own hands and saw a hypnotherapist which I found really helpful.

I seem to find myself at a bit of a plateau now and don't seem to be making any further progress so am considering a trip to the hypnotherapist again to see if that gives me a boost. In the meantime, as much as it scares and phases me, I keep trying to push myself, when you do something that terrifies you, it seems to make other stuff seem not so fearful.

I hope this may help some of you. x

GrayFace
17-01-2012, 12:58
ive found this wonderful forum for pepole suffering from anxiety and panic attacks, theres some info on there for depression aswell, theres a host of copeing info and also a chat room for those who need that bit of extra reasurrance and support
http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/
and theres also a facebook page(its a closed group and monitord)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/72533580743/?ref=ts#!/groups/7078088709/
hope this info helps those with panic attacks, i find the site helpful
gf

GrayFace
17-01-2012, 13:07
Hello,

Just to add my experience with Citalopram. I was having severe panic attacks and depression 3 years ago in October. I was so against going on medication and resisted at first and then succumbed due to not being able to cope any more.

As I said I had been on the 20mg Citalopram for 3 years, I attempted to come off them before but noticed I was becoming very snappy and short tempered to decided I wasn't ready.

I think one of the points to make is to not put too much pressure on yourself, the way I see it some people attach a stigma to taking anit-depressants however if you were a diabetic you wouldn't think twice about taking insulin, it is a chemical inbalance and nothing to do with your strength of character.

10mg tablets are available however I did not want to see the doctor to reduce my dosage as I wanted to have the option to increase / decrease my dosage depending on how I felt. I decided to break my 20mg tablets in half and have half a tablet a day (10mg equivalent). I did this for about 2 - 3 months and then realised I had been forgetting to take them everyday so came off them completely.

I have been off them for about 3 months now and did go through a stage of feeling severely dizzy but persevered and now the dizziness seems to have gone.

I still suffer from anxiety, however it is not any worse than when I was on the medication so I have decided to continue. When I started getting panic attacks I went to see a councellor which did not help me in the slightest so decided to take things into my own hands and saw a hypnotherapist which I found really helpful.

I seem to find myself at a bit of a plateau now and don't seem to be making any further progress so am considering a trip to the hypnotherapist again to see if that gives me a boost. In the meantime, as much as it scares and phases me, I keep trying to push myself, when you do something that terrifies you, it seems to make other stuff seem not so fearful.

anxiety i think you are doing the right thing by pushing yourself and facing the fear, because enough exposure to the fear and saying to it 'c'mon bring it on'! the panic attack gently subsides, this is how CBT works the behavioural therapy, especially now your decideing to be off the tablets

what ive told myself whilst haveing a full blown anxiety attack is that nothing ever happens, they fizzle out after your body realises theres no need for no more adrenalin to rush round my body and they dissapate
no matter how awful you feel nowt happens, and sometimes after i think what the eff was that???!
everyone has a different method of coping and identifying triggers, but the link above to that forum has helped me a great deal, im not on meds or anything, finding ways to cope with the symptons dramatically reduces these attacks for me
ps i know depression can cause the anxiety attacks so its well worth taking the tablets for some, some tablets work for people and some dont
my gp told me it was a case of finding the right anti d what suits, what worked for me wasnt the new citalopram or fluexitine it was an old trycyclic anti d they used back in the 70s!

:)
GF

giddygoat
17-01-2012, 17:11
Good thread.
I have to reduce Citalopram as I'm on 60mg, and have been for years (mild bi-polar) and new guidelines warn against heart irregularities at a high dose, so I have to reduce to 40mg - in a month.. :o
NOT very happy about it. Doctor's orders. :(

They are the meds that suit me best, I've had Valium, Librium, Ativan etc etc over the years. My GP has offered Lithium if 40mg of Citalopram isn't enough.. not a chance! I'd rather have nothing. :mad:

Has anyone else had to reduce by 20mg?

Gordonb
17-01-2012, 18:09
From experience now is not the time to come off them. For me it needs to be in May-June for the extra daylight plus I need to have an exercise/swimming/relaxing regime in force.

giddygoat
19-01-2012, 02:24
bumping to see if anyone else will comment..

hollydxx
25-01-2012, 20:19
@giddygoat

I've had to reduce my dose by 40mg because of these new guidelines. I was on 80mg under a psychiatrist and although he has told me they could probably keep my as 60 if they had to they are trying me down at 40mg for the moment.

Although when I was at 40mg it helped to control my depression, I was still having some major mood swings which have returned since lowering the dose.

However, very reluctant to try a different medication as citalopram has worked and to try another would require weeks of easing off it and then adjusting the dose of a new anti-depressant! grr!

giddygoat
27-01-2012, 08:21
Oh my goodness, that's an even bigger drop.. poor you.
I read somewhere that there's pretty much no difference to a patient being treated with 40mg, and one on a higher dose.. well, we'll see, won't we? :mad:

Just as you find something that REALLY suits you, along comes this new research.. I wish they hadn't bothered!

Are you bipolar? (Don't answer that if you prefer not to) just wondered, as it's more usual for psychs to prescribe mood stabilisers, but having friends who are on these, and always having to adjust dosages, and put up with awful side effects, I refused them.

I'd rather take responsibility for the meds I take - we know how they make us feel, not the docs - and was happy enough on 60mg citalopram.. :(

hollydxx
27-01-2012, 20:43
Yeah, I kind of feel like they should have just let us get on with it until we feel ready to lower our doses, but hey! They're the doctors...

I haven't been diagnosed with bipolar, but I am 19, and I don't know about you but my mum took years and years to have hers diagnosed, so I don't know whether that will be something they look at in the future, but for now it's just severe depression. They did give me seroquel for a while to help me sleep and clear my head, but I struggled with that because it made me so sleepy I couldn't get up in the mornings so they just upped my dose of citalopram.

I hope you don't struggle too much with the reduced dose! Good luck with it all! :)

char2802
28-01-2012, 12:22
Hi All.

I have been on citalopram since about september 2011, started on 20 for about 6 weeks, then upped to 40 for another few weeks, as there was still no change we upped to 60 and I was on that dosage from just before christmas until two weeks ago ish. I am being treated for depression and have noticed no effects good or bad from citalopram. My doc has now changed me onto Venlafaxine.
I think after reading this that i am really struggling with the side effects of weaning off. I was worried that it was the new meds affecting me.
When i weaned off the cital my doc told me to drop to 20 mg citalopram form 5 days and then start the venlafaxine 20mg for a week and straight away up to 40 and stick with that.
After reading everyones comments this sounds very fast BUT i havent read any examples of people changing to a different drug, just people coming off.
I am now on day 6 of taking 20mg venlafaxine and due to up the dosage tomorrow.
Its really hard to describe the feeling, its almost like waves of very gentle but intense pins and needles from the waist up, mood swings, that feeling where you have stood up to quickly in waves, getting very short of breath when ive just been resting. And im not sure if its a side effect of just me being a wuss but its all making me very upset, I hate feeling like this and i feel like there is nothing i can do.
Does anyone know how long this will last roughly if i am switching rather than stopping?

hollydxx
28-01-2012, 13:13
From what you've said it does seem like you've dropped the dose very quickly and I was say the side effects you are experiencing are probably to do with this. I have experienced a lot of dizziness in dropping my dose as well as mood swings.

I would hope that these side effects would wear off in a couple of weeks, but I'm no doctor and if you are experiencing things like shortness of breath, I would suggest a trip back to the doctors is probably in order, just to make sure it's nothing to do with your new meds.

I hope you feel better soon!

ANGELFIRE1
28-01-2012, 13:37

I see this op is 5 years old, but the answer must have been to either read the blurb that is inside the tablet box, or ask the doctor for advice.

Angel.

shells2909
29-02-2012, 20:52
Good thread.
I have to reduce Citalopram as I'm on 60mg, and have been for years (mild bi-polar) and new guidelines warn against heart irregularities at a high dose, so I have to reduce to 40mg - in a month.. :o
NOT very happy about it. Doctor's orders. :(

They are the meds that suit me best, I've had Valium, Librium, Ativan etc etc over the years. My GP has offered Lithium if 40mg of Citalopram isn't enough.. not a chance! I'd rather have nothing. :mad:

Has anyone else had to reduce by 20mg?

Hi there!!
I've been taking 40mg for the last 18 months (post natal depression) After chatting with my gp (who has been great) i told her i felt like was "ready" to decrease the dose - she told me to drop straight down to 20mg :o I know about coming off them slowly but she said that kind of reduction would be fine. I said i'd feel better bout reducing to 30mg, and she was happy about this - have to go back in a month and see her again. I'm a week in now at taking the 30mg and i had a bit of a meltdown tonight, felt so anxious and my poor hubby got cried on as soon as he got in from work. I see from other posts that this seems to be the norm when reducing.

headcase
02-03-2012, 17:42
I stopped taking Citalopram about a week ago. I just did it cold turkey which probably wasn't the most sensible idea!! I feel fine in terms of anxiety but I'm having terrible dizzy spell particularly after a busy day at work. Just wondering if anyone knows how long this will last - wondering whether I should go back to docs but don't really want to be told to start taking them again.

Hayleym
23-04-2012, 10:57
Hi i started suffering from panic attacks out of no where, in november 2011.
I was not depressed i was actually happy in my life, everything was going great and i just suddenly started getting them daily. Didnt like the idea of being on antidepressants at the age of 24, but i had to.
I started taking 20mg of citalopram, after 3 weeks of horrible side effects they finally started to kick in, i never felt better.
Two weeks ago i decided i feel better enough to lower my dosage.
So i went to my doctor and she has put me on 10mg everyday for a month, then 10mg every other day the next month, then ill be off them.
I havent had any side effects really only the weird dreams people have been mentioning, and a little bit of heart palpatations now an again just before i go to sleep, but nothing major at all.
I would advise people to start doing a new exercise routine aswell, the last few months i have been doing fitness workouts 2 to 3 days a week and its really helped out with my anxiety and panic, and just generally feeling good and better about myself.
Exercise and healthy eating are alot better than any drug i think, and thats what im trying to keep to. :)

Plain Talker
23-04-2012, 11:24
I was on Citalopram, 40mg, for some time, but my cardiologist has pressed me to swap to Sertraline. (Zoloft/ lustral)

I have arrhythmia (with a pacemaker) and apparently Citalopram can make arrhythmia worse, so for safety's sake, he wants me on a safer alternative.

I cut down to 20, and then from 20 to nothing, for a fortnight till all the Citalopram was out of my system, before I could start on the new medication. I've been on Sertraline for a few days, now, and am waiting for it to start kicking in.

CricketFan
23-04-2012, 11:26
Thanks for this thread, given me lots to think about. Docs have offered me citalopram for depression/anxiety but worried about long-term effects. Right on the borderline for whether I should be on them or not so I'm trying to cope without.

Jillybabes
18-11-2012, 18:40
For some reason over the last week I have forgotten to take my tablet, must have been at least 5 days then I was wondering why I was feeling out of sorts, headaches, nausea, weird dreams then I realised I hadn't been taking it, started again and headaches still there a bit, exhausted, aching etc, who would have thought such a tiny pill could cause so much!

charlie9865
19-11-2012, 10:51
I am on these for my hands as they work well on people with neuro problems. And I was on them before for depression.

I never had any side effects coming off them before. Then again I probably can't tell once morphine kicks in lol

LNRV
19-11-2012, 10:54

The only real side effect i got was being irratable, i am now on only 10mg every other day and this seems to be working, although i do forget to take it often so think it may be time to reduce to next stage, good luck and keep with it

Bubble3082
19-11-2012, 16:24
I'm sorry my post has nothing to do with Citalopram, but I've noticed a few posts recommending St Johns Wort. Just thought I'd let any ladies on the Pill who are thinking of taking SJW that it can actually decrease the effectiveness of the Pill - some research says it stops it completely and some says 'in certain cases it can' but I thought I'd mention it as there does seem to be certain evidence to say it does decrease the effectiveness of oral contraceptives :)

Plain Talker
19-11-2012, 22:46
I'm sorry my post has nothing to do with Citalopram, but I've noticed a few posts recommending St Johns Wort. Just thought I'd let any ladies on the Pill who are thinking of taking SJW that it can actually decrease the effectiveness of the Pill - some research says it stops it completely and some says 'in certain cases it can' but I thought I'd mention it as there does seem to be certain evidence to say it does decrease the effectiveness of oral contraceptives :)

St John's Wort is also contraindicated in people who are epileptic/ taking anti-convulsants like Phenytoin.

Apparently it can reduce the effectiveness of the anticonvulsant medication, leading to an increase in seizures.

mabel lily
19-11-2012, 22:57
Does anyone who takes Citalopram suffer from excess sweating especially around the face and neck? I have being trying to find out what is causing it and I think it must be these as the other drugs I take dont give sweating as a side effect. I would be glad of any help on how to stop the sweating. Would changing the tablets be an idea?

MrsMozzy
20-11-2012, 21:45
Does anyone who takes Citalopram suffer from excess sweating especially around the face and neck? I have being trying to find out what is causing it and I think it must be these as the other drugs I take dont give sweating as a side effect. I would be glad of any help on how to stop the sweating. Would changing the tablets be an idea?

Can't advise on how to stop it but I suffer terribly from this. I'm not sure how much is the menopause and how much the meds, but I do know it's pretty unbearable.

mabel lily
20-11-2012, 22:47
When I went to the GP he said that it wasn't hormonal and nothing to do with the menopause. I have spoken to a friend today who has similar sweats and her GP told her it was old person sweats and she's only 60! What is classed as an old person I ask myself. Anyway it is absolutely awful having to go through this several times a day, I wish I could get it sorted but apart from stopping the tablets I cant see an answer.

xsjado-man
06-12-2012, 23:13
First off all am i glade i came across this forum, second im really sorry for any spelling mistakes.
i had a read through some of the post and can relate to nearly all off them, im so confused tho as from the age of 15 i was put on citalapram at 20mg for anxiety/panic attacks. wasn't long till i was on 60mg im now 28 and iv been on all doesages much like a yo-yo iv gone down to 10mg,20mg and im currently on 40mg as iv been told they dont do 60mg anymore. the reason iv been on low and high dosage is because iv tried to come off them so many times but each time i do i start to feel angry very snappy and really moody for no reason i know thats not me. tonight iv been off 40mg for a week as iv forgot to get my medication and i just feel soooo angry for no reason, i will be taking them again tomorrow (thank god) but i really really do want to come off them they have not stopped my anxiety/panic attacks at all but im scared because i was such a young lad when i went on them i don't no who i was before them so i find it hard to think oh ill be me again maybe the medication is me? i was really interested in a certain post that i will paste to this as i feel i can benifit from it and just felt like i should sign up to say thank you and good to see other people are as angry and confused as me when coming off them lol. i think my plan will be to get back on them in the morning and start in the new year to take myself off after seeing how people do it i will try 40mg, 20mg, 40mg 20mg for about 3 months then if that goes well ill go 40mg 20mg, 20mg so fingers crossed......

Thanks again

USER ANXIETY:

Hello,

Saffy
07-12-2012, 08:25
Always, inform your doctor if you want to come off any long term drug.

mdagar
08-02-2013, 19:11
The reasons I want to stop taking Citalopram are: the cost and drag of having to get them every month, tired of taking daily medication (first started anti-depressants before the millennium), hate waking up drenched in sweat with soaking wet pyjamas and duvet, peeing takes too long ...
I'm not depressed anymore, but just as anxious with or without tablets (I think).
I've been taking 20 mg every other day for a few months, but sometimes can't remember if I've taken one or not so have occasionally taken 2 in a day, and forgotten several days in a row. if I start feeling crap I take 20 mg daily for a few days, then back to alternate.
i've tried 10 mg daily a few times, but get the sense it's not doing anything.
although citalopram does seem to help me not to get depressed, I don't think it eases anxiety at all, and that was what I mainly presented to the GP.
Once a doctor gave me a few Valium to help with anxiety when starting anti-depressants again, and it was the best thing ever.
A friend has suggested beta-blockers for anxiety, but I haven't tried them yet.
Another friend is resisting them and using St. John.
Last time I spoke to GP he said why stop taking them? No proven harm for long-term users.
I find it hard to believe it doesn't have any harm, but even so I'm sick of being on them (lately a lot of headaches and feeling sick in the morning) and don't want to need them forever.
It is difficult to come off them because it can backfire if not done VERY gradually, which requires a lot of patience.
I haven't had any weird dreams but if I miss more than 2 days I become angry and tearful. If i take them every day I get horrible sweat and headaches, so for me it's a confusing muddly annoying path of constantly adjusting dose. may try getting some 10 mgs and alernating them with 20 mgs (can't be bothered to break them in half and save, but could eventually maybe be on 5 mg). I think this process could take years, and I wish I'd never started it.
In the late 1990s I went to the doctor some months after I'd become a single parent and a working mum, and I found myself unable to stop crying in the evenings and get to bed. She prescribed Prozac and since then I've never managed to come off anti-ds without relapse into tearful inertia eventually (it can take a few months)
I agree with the person on 40 mg who said why stop if they work? But I am bothered by them and they don't help my anxiety and I don't want to pay for them indefinitely. Doctor said 6 months initially this time, which was about 3 years ago.

Princessdp
12-02-2013, 21:17
Hello there everyone,
I have read all the posts and I'm glad I'm not alone on coming off these tablets and feeling the way I do...
I have been on citalopram for 7 yrs now and i have been uping my dosage over the years to finally being on 40mg a day.
People are right about there being no biggy talking a tablet every morning but for me I felt I was just increasing it every couple of years as my body was getting use to it... It wasn't really doing anything for me and Paying for them and having to get them every 30 days was a mare.
I was in a career that was very stressful which i have just given up and I am on my own with 2 young children and I feel I need to take stock of my life and face life without being on these tablets... I'm just not happy on them and my issues and strains are still there.
So in Dec 2012 I decided to start coming off them, I have been coming off them relatively slowly and for the last 2 weeks I have been taking a 10mg tablet when I feel the head zaps are coming on to much, however this wasn't working and it has taken its toll on a relationship I had as my partner and I have have decided I need space to get these tablets out of my system totally...
I am soooo angry and snappy, the head aches are horrendous and the head zaps make me feel I'm just about to pass out... The sickness and then the craving for something sweet, no energy and just wanting to sleep...
I sleep all day and then I'm awake all night, which is so not like me, I'm in bed asleep by 10pm, I don't feel depressed, I have anxiety but to help with all this I have started taking St Johns Wart and I have CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) starting in 2 weeks...
I just want to know these head aches, head zaps, sleep disorder will all go away...
I want to face my issues not hide behind them anymore, the tablets where changing me as a person, I was so bubbly and happy, but the tablets suppressed all that and it was like I had no emotions anymore... I just want me back...
I hope I'm near the end of all these symptoms... It's so hard. :help: x

Goddess
12-02-2013, 22:56
I had no problems coming off it. I was on 60mg/day for ten years and after reading the report in The Telegraph regarding the heart risks I decided I wasn't taking it anymore. It made no difference anyway. I weaned myself off it over a 6 month period by dropping down to 40mg, then 20mg, then alternate days etc. and now I'm free of it. I feel no different. I had no side effects whatsoever.

Plain Talker
12-02-2013, 23:28
I had no problems coming off it. I was on 60mg/day for ten years and after reading the report in The Telegraph regarding the heart risks I decided I wasn't taking it anymore. It made no difference anyway. I weaned myself off it over a 6 month period by dropping down to 40mg, then 20mg, then alternate days etc. and now I'm free of it. I feel no different. I had no side effects whatsoever.

My cardiologist said that, due to my heart problems, and the fact that Citalopram can cause arrhythmias, I should come off it, as soon as practical and I was swapped to Sertraline.

I didn't find it easy when my doses of Citalopram were reduced, and the final couple of weeks, before I could start on the Sertraline, was very hard. (I had to wean the Citalopram down, and be clear of it from my system before I could start the new one)

Jenjenz
08-04-2013, 12:20
I'm really pleased that I came across this thread - admittedly, I haven't been able to read all of the posts but the earlier posts have been quite reassuring to read because it helps me to understand it's probably normal to be experiencing the withdrawal symptoms that I am right now.

I'm in the process of reducing my Citalopram dose from 10mg a day to 5mg (by chopping the tablets in half - I hope this is an effective method because I'm not even sure if you can get 5mg tablets of Citalopram in the UK?). I began reducing my dose about a week and a half ago and over the past couple of days I've really begun to notice some withdrawal symptoms - general tiredness, increased anxiety, occasional 'head zaps' and getting really upset - and even a little paranoid - about things I wouldn't normally get upset about.

Because 10mg is such a low dose anyway, I really didn't think reducing this further to 5mg whilst I weaned myself off would be a problem. It's possible that I may be a little hasty since I only reduced my dosage just over a week ago, but I'm worried that these symptoms will last. Because I'm beginning to feel like how I did before I went on Citalopram, I'm also so worried that I will need to rely on these tablets to cope, which is an awful thought!!

I'm determined to stick with lowering my dose and not resort to going back to my full previous dose just because I feel I need it.

Any positive stories from people who experienced withdrawal but came out the other side and don't need the tablets any more would be so much appreciated right now :-)

sam_
11-04-2013, 14:06
... Any positive stories from people who experienced withdrawal but came out the other side and don't need the tablets any more would be so much appreciated right now :-)

Hiya,

I was on 20mg per day, and came off them 'cold turkey' in one go (because I'm a stubborn bugger) two months ago.

Had some pretty definite withdrawal symptoms (tiredness and dizziness were the worst ones for me), but somewhere in the last couple of weeks they've died down and gone away - I'm all good now!

Stick with it - I'm sure you'll be fine :D

Jenjenz
01-05-2013, 09:02
Hiya,

I was on 20mg per day, and came off them 'cold turkey' in one go (because I'm a stubborn bugger) two months ago.

Had some pretty definite withdrawal symptoms (tiredness and dizziness were the worst ones for me), but somewhere in the last couple of weeks they've died down and gone away - I'm all good now!

Stick with it - I'm sure you'll be fine :D

Thanks for your reply! I've finished a strip of 10mg tablets cut in half to 5mg, so for the last five days I have stopped taking anything at all. I'm feeling pretty tired, irritable and the 'head zaps'/dizziness feeling is driving me nuts, making me more irritable! I'm determined to stick with it, I just want it to go away soon! I'm not feeling anxious anymore though, which is always good! :-)

WeX
01-05-2013, 09:11

Shouldn't you be asking a doctor for this advise?

sam_
01-05-2013, 14:44
Thanks for your reply! I've finished a strip of 10mg tablets cut in half to 5mg, so for the last five days I have stopped taking anything at all. I'm feeling pretty tired, irritable and the 'head zaps'/dizziness feeling is driving me nuts, making me more irritable! I'm determined to stick with it, I just want it to go away soon! I'm not feeling anxious anymore though, which is always good! :-)

Good work! Hopefully just another month-or-so to go, and you'll be feeling much better :clap:

celticmama
01-07-2013, 18:16
Hi, I have been taking Citalopram for about 8 week now. It has lifted my mood but i have some really wierd side effects and it's comforting to hear that others have similar stuff going on. A friend of mine has told me about a natural alternative - 5HTP- website -http://www.naturesbest.co.uk/5-htp-tablets-100mg-p564/?SRC=GO5HTP&OVMTC=Exact&site=&creative=21318520148&OVKEY=5htp&url_id=23567711&adpos=1t1&device=c&device I have been advised by my GP to take Citaloram for at least 6 months but I'm considering a slow withdrawal and if i feel I need to, I think I'll try this product. My friend told me she felt much better on them.

Glamrocker
01-07-2013, 18:42
Doesnt anyone read the leaflets which come with all prescription drugs,thats why they put them in the box.I have found though by talking to people about prescription drugs they very rarely question the Doctor about them but trust them completely,Iv had numerous occasions to question my doctor on the safety of drugs supplied to me.

bullerboY
01-07-2013, 19:34
Well I have read all of these posts and think that these tablets affect different people in different ways ,my doc put me on 10mg for 6 mnths,after about four months i was thinking why am i so tired and lazy so i had a think and decided to junk these things.Now I am back to my normal self if I have ever been normal that is,some people would question this ehehe. No i feel great now and dont give a toss about anything or anybody trying to wind me up lifes to short.I may be one of the lucky ones but I suffered no side effects i just flushed them away and that was that.

Maz3
06-08-2013, 22:12
I've been on 20mg citalopram for 6 years now, on the whole the pluses far outweigh the minuses, but I do worry as in previous comments about long term use. We're all guinea pigs in that respect! Tried giving them up a couple of times, really gradually, but when the stuff finally leaves your system that's it, I don't think there's any way of softening the blow. Though what some people said about giving up while you're on holiday or starting a new positive phase in your life sounds like it could work, when you're focussing on something else. Anyway I just found it too difficult. These tablets have really helped me to cope with all sorts of things I used to struggle with - family get togethers, meeting strangers (have to do it all the time in my job), speaking in public ... Maybe one day I'll be able to do these things without chemical assistance but I don't feel ready for it yet.

Anubis1965
11-06-2014, 08:15
I have just come off 40mg of citalopram after 6 years of use, i am feeling really dizzy, cramps flu like symptoms generally awful.

LeeMo
11-06-2014, 19:18
I'm really pleased that I came across this thread - admittedly, I haven't been able to read all of the posts but the earlier posts have been quite reassuring to read because it helps me to understand it's probably normal to be experiencing the withdrawal symptoms that I am right now.

I'm in the process of reducing my Citalopram dose from 10mg a day to 5mg (by chopping the tablets in half - I hope this is an effective method because I'm not even sure if you can get 5mg tablets of Citalopram in the UK?). I began reducing my dose about a week and a half ago and over the past couple of days I've really begun to notice some withdrawal symptoms - general tiredness, increased anxiety, occasional 'head zaps' and getting really upset - and even a little paranoid - about things I wouldn't normally get upset about.

Because 10mg is such a low dose anyway, I really didn't think reducing this further to 5mg whilst I weaned myself off would be a problem. It's possible that I may be a little hasty since I only reduced my dosage just over a week ago, but I'm worried that these symptoms will last. Because I'm beginning to feel like how I did before I went on Citalopram, I'm also so worried that I will need to rely on these tablets to cope, which is an awful thought!!

I'm determined to stick with lowering my dose and not resort to going back to my full previous dose just because I feel I need it.

Any positive stories from people who experienced withdrawal but came out the other side and don't need the tablets any more would be so much appreciated right now :-)

I was on seroxat for a couple of years, a long time ago. I went from 30mg to 20mg, then to 15 the 10. After that I used a razor blade to cut the tablets down in 2.5mg amounts until I was off them. I think this was better than doing alternate days. Some anti depressants are available in drops too which can help while you are reducing doses. Good luck to anyone trying to come off them I know it can be tough x x x

Anubis1965
12-06-2014, 08:15
This is my 5th day after coming off citalopram, still feeling dreadful but must persevere. I hope that you guys out there are doing ok, keep with it and i am sure it will get better. Good luck everyone.

ginger2blond
18-06-2014, 11:29
I have just come off 20mg after reducing from 40mg for 6months (started them 6years ago) Forgot to pick up repeat prescription and thought I would give it a go. Now on day 6 - bad odd dreams, very tearful over anything!, my mood swings are horrendous, total bitch and finding life (even the tiny things) extremely stressful. Should I persevere? wondering if my family can cope with much more? Help :(

mrs brady
18-06-2014, 11:34

I'm currently on 40 mg per day , i've tried to reduce mine to 30 - then down to 20 . I experienced the sickness,dizziness and tiredness midly on 30 , so i went down to 20 after a couple of weeks ,but the symptoms just got worse ,hence me being back up to 40 (through my doctors advice) .
I do get a bit a bit giddy on good days , but they suggested leaving it at that dose for another month or so , then try again .

Nicotrod
19-06-2014, 12:50
Until two months ago I was on 40mg and had been for 6 years. I had wanted to reduce the dose for quite some time but I was either starting a new job/ moving house/ going through a relationship breakdown, so my doctor told me to find some stability before attempting to reduce my dosage. Two months ago, with my doctor's approval, I halved my dose, taking 20mg a day. He said you should not do one day on, one day off as it unsettles the chemicals balance and can cause a greater amount of side effects.

I have to admit the first month was not easy. I felt irritable, would get flustered and clammy really easily, had trouble sleeping and the off intense bout of dizziness. Luckily my partner was hugely supportive and understood why I was behaving a little more irrationally. I also had two weekly appointments with my GP who carefully monitored my mood/ blood pressure and was there for advice.

Just about to complete my second month and feel so much better. Not perfect but a lot lot better. I'm going to try and stay at this dose for may 3/ 4 months and then reduce it again.

My advice- tell those closest to you what you plan to do. Do some research into side effects with them so they know whatto expect. Never do anything without discussing it with your GP first. Ensure you are not at a chaotic time in your life. Sleep well, allow for 8 hours every night. Try and get some fresh air each day. And remind yourself that what you're doing is a great achievement and don't be hard on yourself if you do struggle at first.