We have dally rash

Great.

Things can only get worse... Takara has got dally rash, at the moment she just looks spotty... okay - more spotty. She's got her usual spots and then she's got red marks all over her (bless). It's on her back and her face.

Then they will get lumpy (some already have) and then the hair will fall out and the hair that she has left will get a yellow tinge.

So now, skint as I am, I have to fork out for a hypo-allergenic, low purine food with no colourings, some malaseb shampoo and probably a coat to cover up my balding dog!

I'll have to get the malaseb shampoo from the vet but I'm not forking out for antibiotics because they rarely work on dally rash!

Please keep fingers crossed that the poor wee lass has got it because she's at that teenage stage and not because she'll get it every year like some poor dallies!

Lotti do you have insurance ? My insurance covers things like this, you should maybe check with yours.

Hi Lindsey,

I do have insurance, however, we're going to try the malaseb shampoo which, the breeder has told me, may prevent it getting any worse! We might get away with just some lumps and bumps!

At the moment it's no more serious than some lumps and hopefully if I change her diet and get some malaseb on her, she'll stay that way!!

i've never had a dalmatian , two questions, what's dally rash? and is it only dalmatians that get this ? Also hope your bubba is not suffering too much and recovers soon. I've loved your pictures, will post my lot when have grown another brain cell and learnt how to post the photos.

lol amanda,

you need to open an account at http://www.photobucket.co.uk

Dally rash is the colloquial term as the pigment in dalmatians' skin makes them more prone to it. It's actually called Short Hair Folliculitis and it is possible for other dogs to get it, but I don't know what breeds other than dallies are most prone!

We've got some malaseb shampoo from the vet (knocked me back a hefty sum) so watch this space! Hopefully if we apply it every other day for 5 minutes and then rinse off, it should stop it getting any worse...

Thanks Lotti, two of my three are shaggy characters, but Rosie is my first short-haired dog, she's a lurcher so i will watch out. Hope your bundle is well soon, off to get my head round photobucket.