The Bomb - What a Life

After sitting in the traffic on the parkway it made me think what type of life people had with the city under attack. My Nan who is 93 lives on the Abourthorne and laughs when people mention stress. She says stress is hiding under an outside toilet when under attack and not knowing if your husbands coming home.

Do we just moan about anything and not think and does anyone have any stories about the war in Sheffield

Yes I think we have it very easy these days compared to such times like what you just mentioned. Hopefully those days are long gone and our kids will have it real easy too.

I was told my grandfather was an air raid warden. In Dec 1940 he directed a group of people to an air raid shelter, which subsequently received a direct hit and everyone was killed. My grandfather was wracked with guilt for the rest of his life. This would have been in the Moor/Lansdowne Rd area probably.

I have been unable to find confirmation of this in any publication so if anyone knows anything I would love to hear more.

I was told my grandfather was an air raid warden. In Dec 1940 he directed a group of people to an air raid shelter, which subsequently received a direct hit and everyone was killed. My grandfather was wracked with guilt for the rest of his life. This would have been in the Moor/Lansdowne Rd area probably.

I have been unable to find confirmation of this in any publication so if anyone knows anything I would love to hear more.

there is an excellent, very detailed book about the raids of the blitz, it's called "raiders over sheffield" I read this book a couple of weeks ago, and I'm sure that the incident you refer to is mentioned in it.

My father remebers being carried, as little more than a toddler, through the remains of the city centre by my Grandfather, when they were bombed out of their home (they lived in the city centre, and they had to take refuge with relatives on East Bank road)

My father remembers seeing the Marples ablaze.

check the pictures of marples ablaze on picturesheffield.com

makes you grateful for what we have nowadays