HSBC Telephone Interview

Well done on getting the telephone interview!

I recently applied for a position at HSBC, I didn't get a telephone interview - but was invited for an assesment interview over in Ellesmere Port. HSBC along with other major banks work on the same principle. They want to know details around 4 or 5 key areas. Also known as competencies - These can include various areas of current and past positions at work, an event in your life where you had to show skill etc.. a few others but at the moment I cant remember... - and how you deal with particular senarios. One thing I would highly recommend when you are on the telephone is to stand up! I know this might sound strange!!! but when you stand up on the phone you naturally smile which does covey over the phone - smiling while you are answering the questions will make you sound interested in the subject and also the job you are applying for.

The type of questions they ask and level of detail needed depends on the job you are applying for with them - With me having previous experience before I went for the assesment interview allowed them to ask me particular questions relating to the job - You didn't mention whether you were already a chashier with another company or not. On the questions the best way of answering the question is using the S.T.A.R Principle. If you PM me your email address, I will send you a word document detailing that. Its too much to put into this message.

It might be worth while before they ring you up to make notes to jog your memory on good points about yourself such as being enthusisastic, hard working, a people person, lovable personality. In my experience of HSBC, before I was went to the assessment interview I was given a debrief by someone out of Human Resources or where ever she was. It might be worth while given HSBC a call and see whether they are able to provide you with a 4/5 competencies which they want answers to - That way you will know roughly what they are requiring from you.

Thanks for that it was extremely helpful. I have managed to find out the five competencies they are looking for and found out about the S.T.A.R principle. Ive prepared numerous answers and examples, so hopefully all will go well. I will let you know. Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

This isn't specific to HSBC, but loads of companies now use competency based interviewing -- ie. they want specific examples of a time when you displayed a certain behaviour. So preparing by thinking up examples of a time when you've done things like shown initiative, dealt with an awkward customer, give excellent customer service etc all help you come up with an answer quickly when put on the spot. And if you've got some good examples prepared but don't use them as an answer to a specific question, you can always drop them into conversation for extra brownie points.

• 2 years later...

I had the same one about 3 years ago. I got through to face to face interview.. then there were no jobs left. In fairness Im glad because I wouldnt be where I am now. Customer service manager..

Anyway, at mine they just asked a time when I'd worked in a team.

A time when I'd had to meet a challenge

It was general standard interview questions. At that point I used mainly my Uni experience and bar work. Right simple, I'd be suprised if you cant get through it.

Just sound really upbeat and friendly on the phone- which is obviously a main focus of the job

Archived