ISP recomendations

chris2005

have a look here - Very handy site, lets you know all sorts of things about your exchange. The above link shows LLU with AOL, Be, TalkTalk (Carphone Warehouse now) or Sky/Easynet all enabled at Broomhill. You never know, if you go for Be, you might even get a healthy fraction of 24mb.

Hope this helps,

I've finally got fed up with bulldog, but for speed issues I need an ISP that uses LLU like Bulldog, does anyone use Orange or Sky from the the Broomhill exchange?

Chris

what speed are you after? PlusNet can offer up-to 8mbps, but as with any ISP you choose, this will depend on the quality and distance of the copper line between your house and the exchange.

PlusNet are also offering a 90 day money back guarentee - if you're not happy with your service within 90 days then they'll refund your subscription. they also just came overall top of the uswitch surveys, which are voted for by customers. you can't lose :-)

http://www.plus.net

Dan

I'm running the Great North Run for the Multiple Sclerosis Trust - see http://www.justgiving.com/dkirkland

If living elsewhere, i dunno really....just avoid Tiscali like the plague!

With you on that one :rolleyes:

Need to switch myself as Tiscali have been atrocious (no connection for over 3 wks in March, intermittent since then, and now none again). Any recommendations for households using the Sharrow exchange welcome :)

Sadly, cable stops 2 doors short of my house as they lost interest in digging :(

With you on that one :rolleyes:

Need to switch myself as Tiscali have been atrocious (no connection for over 3 wks in March, intermittent since then, and now none again). Any recommendations for households using the Sharrow exchange welcome :)

Sadly, cable stops 2 doors short of my house as they lost interest in digging :(

again, I'd recommend PlusNet any day of the week. Sheffield based company as well.

I would personally stick away from ADSL like the plauge - The reason why you have had intermitent connectivity is a common trait of that technology - BT are currently upgrading their network and exchanges to cope with faster speeds up to 25meg but to get the quoted speeds given by people like Tiscali, Plus Net, Bt etc.... you literally need to be living ontop of the exchange!

I know from experience Sheffield has patchy cable rollout but if you can get Cable then I would definatly take that up - Genuine speeds up to 20meg. Alright you might not sometimes get 20meg, maybe 19 or 18meg depending on the ratio's at there switches 1:50 is common meaning 1 switch and 50 users (applies to lower end cable packages like 2 and 4megs but I know when they had it as 10meg they had better ratio's 1:10 rings a bell.

The less users on a switch the better speeds you are going to get but the benefits of cable over adsl is that the signal doesn't decrease once its left the switch which is why you are mostly finding slower speeds than you get quoted in the adverts.

to get the quoted speeds given by people like Tiscali, Plus Net, Bt etc.... you literally need to be living ontop of the exchange!

Actually I have mates living on Carterknowle road connected to Sharrow exchange (Broadfield road, behind the old dairy AFAIK) which is near on a mile away and they are permanently in sync at 8mb.

the benefits of cable over adsl is that the signal doesn't decrease once its left the switch which is why you are mostly finding slower speeds than you get quoted in the adverts.

Sorry, that's not true, unless the cable providers have finally come up with a superconductor that works at room temperatures. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that signal loss is anything like as much of an issue for cable as it is for ADSL and BT, but any signal sent over wires will degrade.

Aside from that I agree, I assumed chris2005 was too far from the exchange to get a decent speed with any ADSL supplier which is why I didn't try and sell him our service. @chris2005 - Agreed, I'd go with cable if I were you, unless Be have actually enabled 24mb from Broomhill as yet and can offer you a speed that isn't too far off.

ive had no major problems with cable either, i've used them for years & i wouldnt want to switch, it does seem more reliable than any adsl provider. if you can get cable, you probably should.

i've heard bad things about orange, never used them personally. sky bought one of the best isps around, but i've no idea what they're like now.

Archived