Who Remembers The Wapentake?

Well i remeber the Wap from the 70s, along with the penthouse, nelson, sportsman on Denby St(what a juke box they had) and the sportsman near the city hall.

Big mick on the door at the wap, George Webster as the d.j. and Dave May as d.j. at the penthouse, ahhh those were the days.

Does anybody remember the old guy that went into the Penthouse, must have been 70 if he was a day. Always wore a suit and drove a white e-type Jag and left with a young blonde on his arm.Rumour was he had won the pools and was just spending his money wily-nily.

P.S. Have changed my profile picture to one of me at 14 years old, anyone remember me from Wap, Nelly etc.

hihi: Rarmin4

Yep I remember you from the Wap :D but can't say I knew you personally. :nono: but our paths must have crossed at times.

Your pic does ring a bell tho . I remember George Webster (The Limit) need I say more? and Dave may in fact I was quite good friends with his mum Violet who used to Run The Cloakroom in the Penthouse / rebs till she retired round about 79 / 80 I think.:huh:

N yep I also used to go in The Sportsman on Cambridge st, Still go in The Nelson on a sat night. Les wright still Dj down there. Yorkshire Man . The Albert, The Beehive. The Saddle, Stonehouse The Museum and The Hornblower.

If you want to know who I am there's some recent pics of me on The Rock reunited site page 27

later jackie :wave:

:hihi: nige126

Not another one that remembers that night the scooters were stripped down. I heard about this incident too and rumours were rife about who did it n I think i know / knew who it was:huh:

Its still talked about sometimes after a few drinks wiv peeps concerned but not mentioning any names. Think I may have said enuf earlier bout it :? :? later jackie:wave:

:hihi:Loopy lass

Have you found me yet:?

Still on The rock reunited page 26 or 27. The Name Mick Newton does ring a bell but can't place him. :confused:

One of the trevor's I knew was called Trevor Williams tall with long dark hair. The only other trev I vaguely know is on facebook but it could be one of the other disscussion boards "I used to go in the Wap" or "remembering the penthouse"or sommat like that n he got short blonde hair now about 50ish

later jackie:wave:

Yep Vaguely remember the guy in the suit and the White Jag :hihi: think I knew him to talk too but he never stopped long enough to get to know personally.:huh:

Think He might have been one of the Penthouse / Rebels co owners :suspect: could be wrong tho :?: later jackie :wave:

Yep Vaguely remember the guy in the suit and the White Jag :hihi: think I knew him to talk too but he never stopped long enough to get to know personally.:huh:

Think He might have been one of the Penthouse / Rebels co owners :suspect: could be wrong tho :?: later jackie :wave:

long live rock

Is there anybody out there!!!! :huh: or is it in there:?:

No new disscussion points :lol::hihi:

Has everybody run out of things to say since christmas :?::?:

I keep putting up bits about various reminicences and what i remember :suspect: but no one seems to have answered lately "why oh why" isn't this from a song

hope to hear from someone soon later jackie :wave:

I've only recently discovered this thread and trawled through most of it but skipped some, so soz if what I'm about to say has already been mentioned somewhere.

I was a Wap regular since 1979 and a Rebs regular since 1985. Of all the many characters who frequented both joints, a couple of the ones that stand out for me are...

There was a guy who I always saw in the wap who was the spitting image of Gyles Brandreth off the TV. He always dressed really square, neat denim jeans and jacket, shiny brogue shoes and had a trendy side parting. He looked like he was about 35 and was still living with his folks LOL. No offence mate if you're reading...:hihi: We used to see him at gigs as well and Roxy's but I can't remember seeing him in Rebels.

Can anyone remember the big biker type who used to barge through everyone on the dance floor in Rebels, arm outstretched playing his imaginary (giant!) bass guitar? He had a longish beard and I think he wore a woolly hat. He was harmless and totally off his head and always had a huge, if slightly 'not all there' grin on his face :loopy:. It was hilarious the way the dancing crowd would part as he stormed through, then he would turn and plough back in. It was a laugh trying to dodge him but you knew about it if you didn't see him coming and got barged from behind though.

Happy days.... :thumbsup:

:hihi:higgs Boson:wave:

From one:headbang:er to another.

You might know me then as I used to Frequent The Wap, Penthouse / Rebs, Sportsman and The Nelson frequently at the weekend tho I could also be found in The same pubs during the week as well usually standing with Shirley (The Deep Purple Demon) or Kath Wragg. :thumbsup:

I do vaguely remember the Biker Type Guy wearing a woolly hat with a long beard :roll: but I don't think I knew his name:huh: unless it was russ an ex glasgow blue Angel / druid I think tho I am prob wrong.:suspect:

If you think you know or knew me from 1975 0nwards and you still go in The Sportsman, The Nelson, Or The Dove and Rainbow at the weekends come over and say Hi I'll be pleased to have a chat to you or at least say hi in person.

If you recognize the name but can't recall the person Have a look at page 11,12,or 13 of this thread and there is quite a good description of me (done by me) somewhere on there. good hunting and hopefully speak to you soon later jackie :wave:

I've only recently discovered this thread and trawled through most of it but skipped some, so soz if what I'm about to say has already been mentioned somewhere.

I was a Wap regular since 1979 and a Rebs regular since 1985. Of all the many characters who frequented both joints, a couple of the ones that stand out for me are...

There was a guy who I always saw in the wap who was the spitting image of Gyles Brandreth off the TV. He always dressed really square, neat denim jeans and jacket, shiny brogue shoes and had a trendy side parting. He looked like he was about 35 and was still living with his folks LOL. No offence mate if you're reading...:hihi: We used to see him at gigs as well and Roxy's but I can't remember seeing him in Rebels.

Can anyone remember the big biker type who used to barge through everyone on the dance floor in Rebels, arm outstretched playing his imaginary (giant!) bass guitar? He had a longish beard and I think he wore a woolly hat. He was harmless and totally off his head and always had a huge, if slightly 'not all there' grin on his face :loopy:. It was hilarious the way the dancing crowd would part as he stormed through, then he would turn and plough back in. It was a laugh trying to dodge him but you knew about it if you didn't see him coming and got barged from behind though.

I remember him well, as i recall, he was also a left handed air guitarist :hihi: I forget his name but remember his collection of wooly Harley Davidson hats and how hard he used to stamp his feet (usually on my toes)......really nice guy he was, in Rebs - totally out there......outside - normal, well spoken and polite.

Seconded :thumbsup:

:help: Has Anyone heard from or seen Liz Claypole yet. Still waiting for her to get in touch with me via this forum.:banana:

Still waiting for that phone call Lizzzzzzzzie :D: mrgreen:

My Phone number is still the same 0114 2962714 or 07909692374 if you want to get in touch liz thanks l8a jackie :wave: :wave: ( Manuel nee Ball)

Who remembers the Rebels days when Les would play 'Boys are Back In Town' and INXS - Need You Tonight???? Us girls would walk in and say "monitors R dripping - lads must be back" and the night Spike arrived in pink T-shirt & shorts, the druids sat around gazing into the beer and wondering who had dropped something in it???????