Aran wool costs

amron

I think i need to explain.

My non-English speaking friend is knitting me an Arron cardigan in a beautiful rose colour.

This is how she does it.

You go to her place and she holds up a piece she has done so far and adds or takes away aaccordingly.. This is the out-back of Bulgaria where a sheep stands beside her whilst she is knitting.. No pattern to work from, i have no idea how many balls of wool, how much she pays for it, nothing! I only know its the typical interlocking twist style.

Firstly, I want to pay her for this or help her make a bit of profit and try to sell other cardigans ( the 7 she has previously knitted) at a fair price when i return to UK in Sept.

hope that helps

As a guideline I have looked at the Debbie Bliss pattern book for Aran Tweed 100% wool. The length on the 50g ball is 88m. For a 44 inch bust fitted cardigan in stocking stitch with a single small cable running up each front the yarn requirements are 10 balls - so - 880m. A mans cabled jacket size 38-40" chest takes 15 balls - so - 1320m.

In terms of cost- the Debbie Bliss yarn is £3.50 per 50g. Cascade 220 yarn which is also 100% wool is £4.95 for 100g and is 203m. This of course is retail pricing not wholesale. Hope this helps you to come to a sum that suits you both!

Jill

I am impressed and thank you for going to so much trouble.

I have since established that they sell the wool here by the kilo (10x 100grm balls) i just need to find out how many balls she used. A £1 a ball...is that expensive?

Either way i can work out the cost now .

What would these cardigans sell for in UK to give her a bit of profit and are there any shop/people willing to buy stuff like this?

Due back in Sept.

......I have since established that they sell the wool here by the kilo (10x 100grm balls) i just need to find out how many balls she used. A £1 a ball...is that expensive?......

No - it is very cheap!

• 2 weeks later...

What would these cardigans sell for in UK to give her a bit of profit and are there any shop/people willing to buy stuff like this?

Due back in Sept.

Have you had a look at http://www.etsy.com ?

It's a brilliant site, imagine ebay but for handmade items, sold by the artist/craftsperson themselves.

The fee's are much lower than ebay too, and the community spirit / ethos is fantastic.