Sheffields niche music is it the trade mark of Sheffield

Nimmos came about from the demise of the Limit, DCM at the Leadmill, CJ's, Nelson Mandella Raves, SADMAC at the Archers, Compulsion at the Music Factory, Occasions and Jive Turkey.

We are going back to 88 to 92 now, the golden era in the sheffield techno sound, Bass, Beeps and Bass lines.

Warp records was the hub, white lables taken down to the shop saturday morning and out in all the clubs in the north by saturday night.

Lfo, Gto, Nightmares on Wax, Forgemasters, 808State, Together, A guy called gerald, Orbital, Nitro Deluxe, Unique 3, Farley Jack Master Funk, Juno, Ital Rockers, Steve Poindexter, Shut up and Dance, N-Joi, Alter8, Meat Beat Manifesto, Leftfield, X-Pansions.......

SCR - Astrix and Space and Easy D .... Now thats a Sheffield Radio Station!!!!

Listen Kids .... do you home work on "Niche" music, get on ITUNES and learn your history!

:)

Word- tho I'd rather you'd've left x-pansions off that list, hate that track.

Nimmos came about from the demise of the Limit, DCM at the Leadmill, CJ's, Nelson Mandella Raves, SADMAC at the Archers, Compulsion at the Music Factory, Occasions and Jive Turkey.

We are going back to 88 to 92 now, the golden era in the sheffield techno sound, Bass, Beeps and Bass lines.

Warp records was the hub, white lables taken down to the shop saturday morning and out in all the clubs in the north by saturday night.

Lfo, Gto, Nightmares on Wax, Forgemasters, 808State, Together, A guy called gerald, Orbital, Nitro Deluxe, Unique 3, Farley Jack Master Funk, Juno, Ital Rockers, Steve Poindexter, Shut up and Dance, N-Joi, Alter8, Meat Beat Manifesto, Leftfield, X-Pansions.......

SCR - Astrix and Space and Easy D .... Now thats a Sheffield Radio Station!!!!

Listen Kids .... do you home work on "Niche" music, get on ITUNES and learn your history!

:)

:love: You have brought back some excellent memories, thankyou Danny:bigsmile:

it infuriates me when people call this "niche music init".

Its not a sheffield legacy, its a music which the nightclub "niche" DJ's hopped on to the bandwagon of Armand Van Helden, Tuff Jam, RIP Groove, Underground Solution, New Horizons and so on and have slowly created their own hybrid form of.

No longer is their any soul or real passion to the music, the 5 days spent in the studio on one piece of production, the champagne and sexy sunday scene association, the good vibes and no trouble but the general feeling of knowing the raver opposite you was there for the pure love and unity of the music.

Now its just a screech of re-sampled beats from the last tune or DnD remix of Ja Rule, a bit of bass from Pulse X, all sequenced in Fruityloops where some "next raver" can bounce to his mates tune, all with a nice DIY acapella over the top.

Lets be fair though, i'm not as young as I used to be. I used to love happy hardcore 12 years ago, I used to love old skool beats and speed garage and I still do. I still play nu skool garage - which is more a form of us garage, jackin house and ukgarage from the late 90's early 2000's. But at least I can say I have a bit of class when i'm listening to my soulful music created by MJ Cole, or Indeed Karl "Tuff Enuff" Brown.

These kids nowadays, they dont do it like we used to (quote me on that someone!!) - they do it their way but I just hope the next generation doesn't water down music even further.

So no, its not actually "niche" music. Its derived from Speed Garage but I wouldn't even call it that now. Its undertaking a name of Bassline House or 4x4 and to be honest, i'd rather it was never associated with Garage! After all the malarky my precious sound went through in the early part of this century, it wouldn't be fair to latch on to that name and ruin what is now a thriving underground scene down south again but without replica guns, replica gangsters, flat caps, tracksuit bottoms, hoodies and rockports but more with sexy women and sexy vibes, oh, and usually an over 21's crowd who know how to rave still..

And let "bassline house" or whatever be a trademark of Sheffield if you must, but keep it there!!!

thank you, piece done.

Actually after speaking to some lads who were playing some real good tunes from their spacecraft type vauxhall corsa they told me it was indeed niche music. Excuse me for being ignorant but exactly where can i get niche music from cos i did like it?

I'm sometimes asked to play Niche music (not on a rock night, thankfully) and I simply reply that I don't play it as I don't want to get shot! Joking apart, I feel that the music is associated with a lot of the trouble which the club attracted and the anti social behaviour linked to the people who went there.

If I do play the odd tune I notice the atmosphere in the pub changes. People become more arrogant, tension builds and the happiness seems to fade. There's a time and a place for it. It'll not be at my shows though, not if I can help it.

Niche Music, Sheffield trademark? - throw up lauging - try the synth and pop of the 80's through to Pulp in the mid nineties through to a lesser known beat combo called The Arctic Monkeys. This is the music sheffield will be known for in the end - because the music shifts units.

This is the music sheffield will be known for in the end - because the music shifts units.

Hang on....Artic Monkeys are continually topping the charts and shifting units and I'd say are better known nationally. Def Leppard are internationally known as a Sheffield band.

I wouldn't say that Niche music is indiginous to Sheffield. It's a style of music which is churned out in a throwaway fashion for people to dance to and get off their heads to.

When Niche was good - 10years back it played speed garage...most of it came from London.

Then the big hard boys from Barnsley started djing at Niche and it all went downhill and fast!

So...i;d say Niche Music is Barnsley Music - meaning: no city, no talent and most of the tunes are just speeded up rnb tunes.

I would be in favour of blowing up the new Niche (aka Vibe) but then again it's probably better to leave all those hard young 17yr olds donning sunglasses in a dark nightclub - there to pretend they're all big and clever!

Hang on....Artic Monkeys are continually topping the charts and shifting units and I'd say are better known nationally. Def Leppard are internationally known as a Sheffield band.

I wouldn't say that Niche music is indiginous to Sheffield. It's a style of music which is churned out in a throwaway fashion for people to dance to and get off their heads to.

agreed however, they are known as being from sheffield, as are pulp and they wear that on their sleeve. London is becoming synonomus with garage and grime. All I'm saying is people associate the sounds of the Artcic Monkeys to Sheffield as they name check sheffield an awful lot, whereas bassline house, or niche music is pretty universal in it's sound. You wouldn't associate Grimsby with Motown just because they do a motown night there?

So exactly where can i get some cds that contain niche music ....please?

No longer is their any soul or real passion to the music .....Now its just a screech of ......

Lets be fair though, i'm not as young as I used to be. I used to love .......

.....But at least I can say I have a bit of class when i'm listening to my music created by........

These kids nowadays, they dont do it like we used to (quote me on that someone!!) - they do it their way but I just hope the next generation doesn't water down music even further.

Insert any new musical form compared to a older musical form and those sentiment could and will have have been said manytimes since the 1920s by the older generation, when the evil and dangerous Jazz music appeared, then the wicked rock and roll music, then rock music, then heavy rock then punk, then New romantic, then Hip Hop, Then House, then Techno, then blah, blah, blah.....

The new and shocking soon becomes old and middle aged.

It happens in fashion, film, art etc. Impressionism was very radical in its time, now it's probably as bland and innocuous as art can be.

Though, I do think music is very regurgatitive at the moment, it's not shocking or progreessive, it all sounds like it was made years ago, whether it's guitar music or dance music. So I think music's a bit dull at present, because I've heard it all before or already have the songs that are being copied. Imagine if the SexPistols had sounded like a skiffle band from the 50s, as that's what current 'modern' is like, a unimaginative remix of the past.

Niche music (aka Speed garage/ Bassline House/ the music played at Niche night club for past how many years?) has been getting big all over the country and is being reffered to as Niche music (by radio 1xtra dj's) because it is a trademark to the Sheffield night club.

If you don't like it fair enough, i know loads of people who don't like it.

I like it.