Albert Parr.....

Does anyone know the background to the story of Albert Parr.

I grew up with my dad telling me these stories of Albert Parr from Page Hall.

I would appreciate any memories or stories

John

My recollections go back to about 1960 when Albert Parr would be a very old man. He lived on Upwell lane. In his youth he had been a good race walker.

Each summer there was a walking race that set out from a pub (I cant remember the pub name) on the opposite corner to Grimesthorpe Junior School on the junction of Grimesthorpe Road and Carlisle Road. Albert was there for the start dressed in his shorts , and probably 30 or 40 years older than anyone else taking part. The race set off and old Albert was soon at the back, followed by every kid in the district cheering or jeering him on. As the race was proceeding along Carlisle Street a van pulled up, and Albert jumped in and the van sped away, much to the disdain of everyone following him.

Sometime later the expectant crowds lined Carlisle road outside the pub, to cheer the race leaders home after walking all the way to Ecclesfield and back. All of a sudden a great cheer went up as Albert rounded the final bend supposedly in the lead,

followed again by all the kids in Grimesthorpe, to cross the line first , with the crowd in uproar. One of the most hilarious scenes you could imagine !

Originally posted by walt

My recollections go back to about 1960 when Albert Parr would be a very old man. He lived on Upwell lane. In his youth he had been a good race walker.

Each summer there was a walking race that set out from a pub (I cant remember the pub name) on the opposite corner to Grimesthorpe Junior School on the junction of Grimesthorpe Road and Carlisle Road. Albert was there for the start dressed in his shorts , and probably 30 or 40 years older than anyone else taking part. The race set off and old Albert was soon at the back, followed by every kid in the district cheering or jeering him on. As the race was proceeding along Carlisle Street a van pulled up, and Albert jumped in and the van sped away, much to the disdain of everyone following him.

Sometime later the expectant crowds lined Carlisle road outside the pub, to cheer the race leaders home after walking all the way to Ecclesfield and back. All of a sudden a great cheer went up as Albert rounded the final bend supposedly in the lead,

followed again by all the kids in Grimesthorpe, to cross the line first , with the crowd in uproar. One of the most hilarious scenes you could imagine !

the pub was called the victorier oposite the grimesthorpe club

The stories about Albert Parr are certainly true. The walk took place during the Grimesthorpe Feast which was held every year. I lived on Hinde House Lane behind Firth Park Library and went down to watch the walk every year during the mid - late 50's. Albert always "cheated" and I can remember that the crowds which lined the road would try to spot Albert. One year we spotted him on a tram he had caught to Sheffield Lane top.

A real character and well known in the area.