Sheffield Flood

Hi, I remember doing loads of work and research on the flood when I was at middle school in the mid 80's. We went on regular trips around the Bradfield area and I loved every minute of it. Our teacher at the time (Mike Lydiot) at Limpsfield school was very well up on the subject. I remember the whole class climbing over a fence onto some private property just to get a quick glimpse of the original stone that marked the corner of the dam. I have forgotten so much about it but loved those school trips. I'd also love to know where Mr.Lydiot ended up, if anyone has any info please let me know.

we looked in the FLOOD CLAIMS ARCHIVES and found one of our relatives

click this in HUGHS kind reply its very interesting..its time for the council to get a memorial stone..

:blush: Apologies to all for not getting back on this subject earlier.

New to the computing game.

Karen 828 I would like to communicate with you on this as I have a walking stick with an inscription Geo.Dyson on the collar and on the other side "Sheffield Flood 12th March 1861 260 lives lost". thankyou and apologies again.

[email protected]:blush:

Hello Waldmeister,

i do not know of a flood in 1861, but i do know of a GREAT SHEFFIELD FLOOD IN 1864. when the dale dyke dam burst its banks. is this the flood you mean.

I lost several family members in the great flood, particularly the Trickett family of Malin Bridge where 3 generations of the same family were washed away .....the mother being found days later in Rotherham!!!

If you look at some of the flood claims you will get some sort of idea how utterly devastating this disaster was both to the local and wider community. Here are some contamporary reports relating to this family.

"The prosperous house and farm of James Trickett was destroyed with all ten inhabitants. A mother clinging to a lamppost with one hand and her little girl with the other, saw her eleven year old son who had been grasping her skirts, swept away and drowned by the deluge."

"The old man Kay was the father of Mrs. Trickett, and up to the day of the flood he used to live in a house of his own at View Fold, on the other side of the hill. On the Wednesday in the same week, he buried his wife, and, having no one to live with him or keep his house, he gave up housekeeping on his own account on Friday, and went to live with his son in law, Mr. Trickett. On the very same night the flood came, and swept him away. It is melancholy to think that his domestic bereavement and change of residence should have been so immediately followed by the loss of his own life. The manner in which the Tricketts met their fate can only be matter of conjecture."

There are literally hundreds of such comments relating to those who suffered and I am so surprised that the City Fathers have done so little to recognise this sad event. I believe there is/was a small monument at City Road cemetery but nothing else. Karen Lightowler (a member of SF) has done some fantastic research into this and I do think that maybe her plan is to ask for some such recognition.

:blush: Apologies to all for not getting back on this subject earlier.

New to the computing game.

Karen 828 I would like to communicate with you on this as I have a walking stick with an inscription Geo.Dyson on the collar and on the other side "Sheffield Flood 12th March 1861 260 lives lost". thankyou and apologies again.

[email protected]:blush:

Hello all and sincere apologies particularly to Waldmeister.

Several years ago I posted numerous messages on various sites across the internet about my interest in the victims of the Sheffield Flood. I also posted one to this list in April 2003 and in July 2003 Waldmeister replied to my message. Between those dates I had a disc crash on my PC. When I eventually got back up and running I had lost all the links to my favourite sites and clearly this is one that I had not rediscovered.

Having now found this site once again I would like to sincerely apologise to Waldmeister for not having replied as I am extremely interested to hear about the wonderful “flood relic” you have. I do hope we can make contact as I would love to hear more.

I would also love to hear from anyone who is descended from anyone who died [or even from someone lucky enough to survive]. I am also happy to pass on any details I have about any of those who died in and after the flood. I will also happily check to see if your ancestors may have been involved. If anyone reads this message at any point in the future, please feel free to contact me directly on the email address below.

Thanks

Karen Lightowler

[email protected]

A number of the victims are buried in the General Cemetery, and in fact the engineer of the dam itself, John Gunson, is also buried there. Although at the public enquiry he was exonerated from any blame, he was very much affected by the tragedy and never got over it. He lived (and died) in a house on Clarkson St (near the West End pub) which now houses students.

Hi Waltheof

That's right and Samuel Harrison [who wrote the book about the flood at the time] is also buried at General Cemetery. I find it really sad though that both have much grander memorials than many of the poor souls who drowned. Many were even given paupers burials.

karenL823

Hi there

I am just posting another message as I am keen to make contact with Waldmeister as I would love to hear more about the wonderful flood relic.

I would also love to hear from anyone who is descended from anyone who died [or even from someone lucky enough to survive]. I am also happy to pass on any details I have about any of those who died in and after the flood. I will also happily check to see if your ancestors may have been involved. If anyone reads this message at any point in the future, please feel free to contact me directly on the email address below.

Karen Lightowler

[email protected]

Researching the Victims of the Sheffield Flood

Guest Ant

There's a very interesting section of the Sheffield Geneaology website that deals with the flood. Well worth a look:

Sheffield Geneology: The Sheffield Flood

---------------------------------------------------------

One of my relatives made a flood insurance claim for the damage done to his photography shop. He claimed £3 18s 6d but was only granted £2, bless him.

Hi all,

I have a copy of a book about the Sheffield Flood, written by Samuel Harrison, and published in April 1898, complete with adverts of the day, ie pianos from 25 guineas, and mens tweed trousers from 3s/11d.

Makes very interesting reading ...

The link left by Ant was something I wrote many years ago and is an extremely small part of my research. If anyone is interested in finding out if any of their ancestors were involved I will happily pass on any information I have about any family. Please contact me.

Karen Lightowler

[email protected]