Wildlife pond- advice and cuttings wanted!

Hello,

I am making a rudimentary pond for the old allotment out of a sunken sealed bath. I wondered what tips you might have?

Also, can anyone donate me any pond plants? I am keen to provide a home for animals and amphobians who can eat up all the slugs, who seem to think the allotment is like a supermarket just especially for them!

Try and partially fill the pond with rocks, bricks, tiles etc. so there are different depths of water. Also make sure you have some emergent plants so dargonfly larvae etc can crawl out from underwater to hatch. And get some nice silty substrate for the pond bottom from other ponds ideally, rather than the garden, as they will already have nice watery creatures living in them to give you a head start. Using garden soil will usually just result in nice green water and nowt much else. Good luck!

I can give you some duck pond stuff - its the little green leaves that float on top of the water. Some people love it, others hate it. Its a bugger to get rid of, so only have some if you really want it. I find it keeps the water clearer than other plants. I've also got some seeds from flag iris floating on the pond surface - assume if they are put into compost they would grow ?

Can you provide a loving home for a rescue kittie ? Rain Rescue Cats

Free/cheap cat neutering please look here Link

yes, duck weed sounds more like it. Hopefully this link will take you to a picture of the yellow flag iris http://www.plantlife.org.uk/uk/plantlife-discovering-plants-grow-wild-yellow-flag-iris.html

I think it is usual to grow new iris by splitting the old clump and making new plants, but mine is 'new to me' so not big enough to split yet. I'm happy to fish some of the seeds out and post them on if you want.

Can you provide a loving home for a rescue kittie ? Rain Rescue Cats

Free/cheap cat neutering please look here Link

Jaberwocky- where do you live then? reeds snails and what not sounds great.

Anyone- has anyone got any frog spawn, can i have a bit???

Im in Leicestershire. I have snails and water boatmen and.. theres everything here, everything except for frogs for some reason.

Sod all of them here so far.