Sign in to follow this  

Crime Down, Fear Up!

Actually, this report (unlike the police's recorded crime figures) includes unreported crime and takes into account that only about half of all crimes are reported. So that argument doesn't work, because even taking that into consideration crime is still down 39% since '95. The risk of being a victim of crime is the lowest since the survey began.

Crimes reported to the police are actually up 12% for the last year. See my signature. Don't be fooled by Labour spin. Actual police statistics are a much more reliable measure of crime than any survey on a relatively small sample.

It isn't Labour spin, they are actually the only party that weren't happy about the figures because it made their recent announcment on crime seem stupid.

It also isn't going to make me vote for Labour in the next election. But the polices recorded figures are not as acurate as this independant survey, and the links explain why, as have i before.

It's not about Labour or any other party, its about the media and companies wanting to make money out of fear. Actual violent crime went down last year, the police explained about their recorded figures going up because of the way they now record crime.

Originally posted by t020

Crimes reported to the police are actually up 12% for the last year. See my signature.

Or look at the facts, it's up to you.

Originally posted by Toby

Or look at the facts, it's up to you.

Am doing - the police FACTS, not the results of a survey questioning 40,000 people out of 57 million about their experiences with crime (a survey that also ignores several violent crimes). I'm looking at the facts - why don't you?

This is the age old problem of dicussion boards. Just because you type something as ridiculous as "60% rise in violent crime since Labour took power in 1997", it doesn't mean it's true.

I got burgled in 1995, and have lived a blisfully crime free existance since. Does this mean the Major administration started the good stuff, and Blair carried on the work?

Originally posted by Toby

This is the age old problem of dicussion boards. Just because you type something as ridiculous as "60% rise in violent crime since Labour took power in 1997", it doesn't mean it's true.

Well actually it does... it's an official figure from the Home Office.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/07/20/ncrim120.xml

Your second point is so irrelevant and pointless that I shan't bother to respond to it.

The same Home Office that have said that the Crime Survey was "accepted as the most reliable source of information"?

Originally posted by Snook

The same Home Office that have said that the Crime Survey was "accepted as the most reliable source of information"?

It would say that because the Crime Survey paints a rosier picture. If the police stats gave the better figures the Home Office would be promoting that as the most reliable source. Spin??

Originally posted by t020

It would say that because the Crime Survey paints a rosier picture. If the police stats gave the better figures the Home Office would be promoting that as the most reliable source. Spin??

Then why do the Lib Dem and Tory parties also agree? Why not use it against them, especially with an election coming up?

I'd like to see your source on that. Personally I can't see how a (relatively) small sample of people answering survey questions about crimes (missing out several violent crimes) can be a more conclusive method of determining crime figures than the amount of actual crimes reported to the police. Each to their own though.

'The Conservatives and Liberal Democrats called on the new figures to be taken as the benchmark for a drop, while Mr Blunkett denied advance knowledge of the 5% drop and home office minister Hazel Blears said the BCS was "accepted as the most reliable source of information". '

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/homeaffairs/story/0,11026,1266672,00.html

There you go, quote and source.