The absolutely huge 'moan about cyclists' megathread

Guest Guest

Cyclists in Sheffield  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Cyclists in Sheffield

• Give em a break, give em some room
    • You don't pay road tax, get off the road

Phew what a thread! Enough manure slung in every direction to keep the nation's root vegetables fed for generations.

The very silly title of the thread was bound to annoy anyone who rides bicycles, or is slightly uncomfortable with bigoted reactionary nonsense.

I ride a bike, I do so with due respect for pedestrians, fellow road users and the highway code (when safety isn't compromised).

I see many cyclists act extremely foolishly - in fact they can sometimes make my blood boil. I see a few drivers act equally foolishly - rather than get angry- I'm usually just happy to be still alive. How different life is in the Netherlands, where most motorists are also cyclists. Curious that, you hardly ever read venting spleen from motorists who ARE ALSO cyclists. Or indeed cyclists who drive. I recommend that those who are firmly entrenched in one or the other camp spend some time in the other camp before they share their opinions.

---

Mark

Remembering that when you give your tupence - you don't expect any change...

Yesterday I fancied a challenge so decided to ride up Highcliffe road. I knew the S bends would be dangerous so waited till any approaching cars I could see/hear had passed and set off up the hil thinking it would only take 1 minute to be past the S's. As I got to the final corner some bell end in a Audi TT cabrio approached from behind and instead of waiting for me to turn the final corner he overtook me, into a TOTALLY BLIND CORNER, into incoming traffic. If the poor man coming down the road in a volvo hadn't been on the ball it would have been an expensive one!

.....and if your reading this, yes, your a BELL END!

Yesterday I fancied a challenge so decided to ride up Highcliffe road. I knew the S bends would be dangerous so waited till any approaching cars I could see/hear had passed and set off up the hil thinking it would only take 1 minute to be past the S's. As I got to the final corner some bell end in a Audi TT cabrio approached from behind and instead of waiting for me to turn the final corner he overtook me, into a TOTALLY BLIND CORNER, into incoming traffic. If the poor man coming down the road in a volvo hadn't been on the ball it would have been an expensive one!

.....and if your reading this, yes, your a BELL END!

whereas if you'd cycled up the path away from the road which goes in a straight line some irritant with a dog would scowl at you... because not many drivers in sheffield ride a bike, and it seems not many perambulators do either...

I just spent ten days in Germany and in all their cities they have bycicle lanes that are separated from the road - a bit like a second pavement that is for bikes.

As a result LOADS of people choose to cycle in a safe environment which as well as being good for them and the environment it also keeps the roads quiter for those choosing to drive.

red lights dont need to apply to cyclists because if bikes run red lights it's not gonna run someone over like a car.

you sir are a moron

Kieran: agreed!:headbang:

It's not what you are going to do to someone (though if you hit a pedestrian you could find you have to pay a hefty dentist's bill once the pedestrian is through with you) it's what's going to happen to you. If you are so keen to get to Northern General, I can think of other ways than in the back of an ambulance. :loopy:

Then again, you might quite like the excruciating pain of having a pedal removed from your calf muscle then being in plaster for months, followed by the physiotherapy. Or you might quite fancy seeing life from a wheelchair for the rest of your life. Or you might have decided to end it all. There's probably quite a few ways to commit suicide (which is illegal, I think) than being run over by a bell end in an Audi.:confused::o:banana: :banana: :banana::twisted:

this is the kind of stupidity that gives cyclists a bad name with car drivers.

Red lights do need to and do legally apply to you. If you think otherwise I hope a squad car sees you run one and gives you a ticket and 3 points to go on your car license.

No red lights are there for cars, why would pedal bikes need them, it's like i can ride up to the red light and get off and walk through the light, it's not like i would cycle through at more than walking speed.

it's probably you who goes over 30mph in a built up area isn't it, an inocent kid could easily walk out into the road and you doing over 30moh kills the poor person.

when i am driving i hate it when i get tail gatters when i myserlf am doing 30moh in a 30mph.

thankyou

you sir are a moron

And you are an ignorant arrogant prat, i didn't say i would ride through it at 30mph, i would go through it at 2mph very carefully, that is if i would go through red lights, but i would get off and walk with my bike.

no it's moronic arrogent behaviour like going over 30mph in a built up area which is horrible and i bet you go over 30mph, making you more of a person to cause manslaughter by negligent driving.

so next time you go over 30mph in an area around pedestrians just think of how ignorant and arrogent you are, i really don't like speeders, and i know from my CAREFULL driving that about 80% really dont give a crap for peoples lives.

I try to help every good person and i care for alot of people and would help them to the point of risking my own life.

Archived