Connecting a gas cooker?

To return to the original topic of the thread (two years later)...

Can anyone:

(a) Recommend someone to fit a gas cooker; and/or

(b) Tell me how much it should cost?

Ta.

To return to the original topic of the thread (two years later)...

Can anyone:

(a) Recommend someone to fit a gas cooker; and/or

(b) Tell me how much it should cost?

Ta.

I used this guy he did a grand job and was pretty cheap too!

check there corgi card.... a lot of corgi registered installers cant fit cookers or fires.

they have to have the module on there card. check on the reverse of the card. :)

Hi, I was hoping a corgi registered person might be able to answer a question forme please. We have been given a 4 year old leisure range cooker in very good condition. We are having the elctical ring wired professionally and have had a visit from a corgi registered gas fitter. We need to re route some of the old gas piping to accommodate the double size cooker. He checked the cooker and said there was something missing from the connector, that a hose could not be connected directly without this. The hose was removed and kept by the previous owner for their new cooker and we have been unable to get hold of them to find out if there was a piece attached. The gas man was not very helpful, just saying it was useless with that, but did not offer any solution. Can anyone advise me please on where we may be able to obtain this part, and what it is called so I wont sound like an idiot when making enquiries. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Linda

Previous person probably removed the bayonet fitting (either 1/2" or micropoint)and then capped it off. So your 'gas man' had nothing to connect a hose to.

Or, on the cooker itself it may need a female/male connector

Strange as if he does have the 'tick' on his corgi card to fit cookers, he would carry these as standard.

I'd advise getting another gas installer ;)

very strange :) there is not much you can remove from a cooker that you cant buy to complete the install. as andy says i dont think he knew what he was doing and would also recommend a different engineer. :)

Thank you, I had my doubts myself. What is left on the back of the cooker is a standard looking female connector with screw thread. Is this what you would expect to see? What should the end look like? He did seem very negative. I have not checked his card, but he is employed by BG as an engineer and has been in our house for maintenance and repairs through them in the past.

Linda

if he is employed by bg he cant fit private as bg dont allow there employees to have corgi in there own name so there fore he is working illegally and bg dont cover private work. he is only corgi registered and insured while working for bg . :)

and yes i would expect to see a 1/2 inch female thread on a cooker./

a year old thread and the corgi fitters are ranting trying to drum up business for a job that was completed a year ago are all corgi fitters unable to chack the dates or are you all obssessed with coming out to find non exsiscent gas leaks

A gas cooker bayonet fitting is a gas fitting and as such the gas regulations apply - period. If you think that because its possible for anybody to uncouple and recouple it that makes it ok to do so, you are mistaken. The actual intention of the flexible hose is so that the cooker can be carefully moved out so that cleaning can take place without disconnecting the appliance. The bayonet connection allows the hose to swivel on the O ring.The gas regs are there to save lives not line corgi fitters pockets. A cooker is an unflued gas appliance siting, ventilation and correct working of the appliance, operation of the safety devices all need to be checked plus a stability bracket. NEW as well a second hand appliances can leak I've had them all. Plus the correct positioning of the back plate elbow to allow the hose to hang correctly is vital.(far too many registered installers dont do this either ,) Its very rare one out of fifty ? where the backplate dose'nt need moving so pipework is usually involved. A gas fitter would have to pay £300 or so to be assessed as competent to work on or install cookers! As for transco checking your work- if its classed as immediately dangerous and you in your ignorance have fitted it CORGI and the HSE will be after you. Make no mistake illegal and incompetant gas fitters are been jailed. On this occasion you are not never wrong but just plain wrong.

the thread is year old and more did you check that like you check for leaks if so you missed it

the thread is year old and more did you check that like you check for leaks if so you missed it

A bit like you really --:)

We are responding to "Alby1962" who added to this post on 5th May.