Polish Community in Sheffield

Tosh13 I'm from Poland and I think taht this guy surname is Polecki ;)

I am not sure if this counts as 'Polish community' but I thought I'd ask. My Mum was a nurse in Sheffield in WW2 and I have found a photo with a dedication to her from 'Halina Sasko, underground Army Worsaw' dated 25.vi.45. There is a stamp on the back too looks like 'Stalag X3 25 Bopraft'. Can anyone throw any light on this story? Ta.

Hi Karen - Sasko is a Polish surname and Halina a (girl's) name. Stalag is a German word (short for "Stammlager") meaning a prisoner-of-war camp. I guess this was someone in Warsaw that your mum corresponded with.

have some polish relatives my grandfather was polish came over in war name was victor lukazeski not much now about his back ground didnt talk much as I know he was a german conscript and he went awol to england?

Hi Karen - Sasko is a Polish surname and Halina a (girl's) name. Stalag is a German word (short for "Stammlager") meaning a prisoner-of-war camp. I guess this was someone in Warsaw that your mum corresponded with.

Thanks.

The picture is signed as coming from Sheffield and the people in the photo are men and women in army unifrom. I think they were wounded from the Polish Underground Army that she nursed in Sheffield. I thought there might be some record of such nursing during the war

:)

I am not sure if this counts as 'Polish community' but I thought I'd ask. My Mum was a nurse in Sheffield in WW2 and I have found a photo with a dedication to her from 'Halina Sasko, underground Army Worsaw' dated 25.vi.45. There is a stamp on the back too looks like 'Stalag X3 25 Bopraft'. Can anyone throw any light on this story? Ta.

Hello Karen,

I am from Warsaw but have graduated at the University of Sheffield.

Yes, "Sasko" is Polish family name. But the phrase "underground Army Warsaw" sounds odd for me. I think your mum's friend did not write it correctly.

In Poland during the WWII the most powerful undergraund army was Armia Krajowa (Home Army) which was ruled by officers loyal to the Polish Government based in London. So, I think your mum's friend was a member of Armia Krajowa. The picture is dated 25 June 1945. At that time Warsaw was liberated by the Soviet Army (in January 1945). Warsaw was completly destroyed and empty. Life was really hard. The Soviet Army also brought communism ideology to Poland. People who did not want accept the communism ideology were prisoned, couldn't find a proper job etc. The Polish Government in London was the main enemy of Polish communists. The same was with Armia Krajowa. Some of their soldiers fought against Polish communists and the Soviet Army (even when the WWII was over), other tried to escape to the West. So, that's why so many Polish soldier who where in Italy or England did not want to go back to Poland. They were afraid of communists. Many Polish former soldiers came to Yorkshire to look for a job and normal life. Many settled down in Sheffield. For example, a grandfather of Ben Starosta (Sheffield Utd young player) was Polish soldier who fought in Italy against the Germans. He lived many years in Sheffield.

Greetings from Poland. Adam.

This topic is quite old but if someone still looks for Polish Community- there is polish community website(mysheffield dot pl). For some time I'm frequent visitor on SF- Ill try to answer as soon as possible if you have any questions.

Anyway: I decided to write becouse today The Star published material about street lamp post turned on for 24h per day- polish website run this story some time earlier.

Admin with users help reported more than 40 faulty lamps. This can save Council hundreds of pounds per year in electricty bill and lower CO2 emmisions by kilograms. Sadly- The Star didnt mentioned how you can report faulty a lamps.

If you want to help the City you can report it by:

Online – sadly I still cant publish links so you have to look for it on council website

Telephone – 0114 2734567

Email – [email protected]

Please can anyone tell me how you would go about finding Polish tradespeople?

Is there a list somewhere? I have read that Polish tradesmen are very reliable and have been let down several times by various people.

Yes. Poland. What trade some did my mate a loft conversion inspector condemed it. He couldnt converse with them as no one spoke english, Gang master came out every friday for half an hour. Probably okay for gardening etc as they are hard working . As for Central heating .Gas fitters. Builders Plumbers dont think so .Plenty of english reliable trades people on forum :hihi: OH i get it youre Polish nice one :hihi:

Is anyone part of it? Does anyone have Polish parents who settled here after WW2. My father was Polish and in Barnsley in 1946. I'm attempting to write a book about his life, so any other Polish experiences/ stories welcome.

In the early fifties at my junior school (Alma Road), the head teacher made an appeal to the school for us to ask our parents if they would let us bring a Polish boy boy home, to feed at dinner time. There were several who needed this help and I volunteered my Auntie, who lived on Sheffield Road.

She did this for some years, and I became friends with him. We lost touch after junior school, but he stayed in touch with my auntie until recently. I believe that he is still alive, and I will email his name and another I remember, if it would help your study. I know nothing of the background of these boys, but it must have been quite desperate.

On the Polish theme I believe that Liverpool University School of Architecture is also the Polish School of Architecture. It was moved to Liverpool during the war, and there is a plaque in the main building to commemorate it. You may find them a font of knowledge on Polish affairs in this country around that time.

Good luck with your research.

Is anyone part of it? Does anyone have Polish parents who settled here after WW2. My father was Polish and in Barnsley in 1946. I'm attempting to write a book about his life, so any other Polish experiences/ stories welcome.

I think first place to contact people settled here after war is this: Dom Kombatancki (1 Dover Road/ Ecclessal Road, S11 8RH, tel. 0114 2661238)

If you are looking for tradesman- I cant help. I dont know. There is a seminarium for polish workers and employers in Rotherham- you can try there. I still can add links so if you want details you have to send PM to me- Ill send you a website with all details.

Back in the early 70's I knew 3 polish lads who did the working mens clubs and functions, keyboard, guitar and drums. They were great lads but I lost touch with them. Annoyingly I can only remember the drummer was called 'Ziggy'. Anyone know of them?

Was it Ziggy, Bogs (Siddorowicz), Andy Jag (jagiellowicz) and Mick Puchalka ?

Was it Ziggy, Bogs (Siddorowicz), Andy Jag (jagiellowicz) and Mick Puchalka ?

I can help- Bogs is a owner of Polish shop Polonium at London road. If you want to contact with this band you should go there and ask for him.

Shop is on corner Sitwell Pl and London Rd